Eurovision Song Contest 2013 - Malmö, Sweden

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Reveuse

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2013 - Malmö, Sweden

Postby Reveuse » 2013-05-15, 20:57

TeneReef wrote:Oh
Rybak, Lena, Loreen, Emily dF...
a new trend: a gimmicky song is overhyped, and already in February we know the winner.

What about Azerbaijan?

Maybe a bit overhyped but most of those songs were very good in my opinion. At least Loreens song was definitely the best last year. Or did you prefer the Russian grandmothers? ;)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:I think the friendly ties between the Netherlands and Belgium may have worked well this time, I guess we've been lucky to be in the same semi-final.

We have been in the same semi-final before and then it never worked :P.

I was so happy that the Netherlands qualified, for one year we won't be a total joke! 8-)

I really liked Denmarks song, but I'm very surprised that Lithuania and Ireland got through to the finals. I had the impression that the guy of Ireland was singing off key... and what was wrong with Montenegro :roll:
Native: Dutch - Fluent: French - Advanced: English - Intermediate: German, Catalan, Spanish.

New language I'd like to learn: Swedish

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-05-15, 23:31

I missed the first semi final. Guess why? Because I was writing on my thesis, that's why.

(Just to get to mention the thing on one more thread.)
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-05-16, 8:59

Reveuse wrote:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:I think the friendly ties between the Netherlands and Belgium may have worked well this time, I guess we've been lucky to be in the same semi-final.

We have been in the same semi-final before and then it never worked :P.

I was so happy that the Netherlands qualified, for one year we won't be a total joke! 8-)

True, but you know, this time we had Anouk who was supposed to do well, so I was actually more thinking about Belgium, it really surprised me that they qualified, so it made me wonder if maybe the Netherlands voted for them (not realising that most Flemish people don't care about Eurovision this year because it's a Wallon thing this year...)...

Yes, and it's so nice and special that even though I missed it I'll still be able to see it. Usually there's just one chance to see the Dutch song :lol:
Native: Dutch
Learns: Indonesian and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2013-05-16, 16:16

Reveuse wrote:. At least Loreens song was definitely the best last year.

Naaaah,
Euphoria is one of Loreen's songs I don't like at all.
My heart is refusing me is 1000x better...

I think all exYU countries should withdraw from competition,
ex Soviet countries always vote us out
not fair
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-05-16, 20:16

TeneReef wrote:I think all exYU countries should withdraw from competition,
not fair

:p come on, I have an impression that Balkans are always in the finals (ok bad luck this year), while Belarus is like the first time for thousand years (and she was not worth it)

2nd semi:
Greece :<3:
Macedonia :<3:
Azerbaijan :<3:

PS and besides, we love exYU, I do vote for you guys :)

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2013-05-16, 21:49

The jury preferred Armenia, Finland, Romania over San Marino, Israel, Switzerland.
The new voting system rules. :lol:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2013-05-16, 22:34

Oh, the juries... :| Israel and Switzerland were actually two songs I actually found relatively good! :(
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Understands (sv) Understands (dk) Studied (ja)
[flag=Mom's side of the family]fo[/flag] Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs) Playing with (ga)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-05-17, 9:39

TeneReef wrote:Switzerland.

Sorry, but I think that song was extremely contrived. It's the kind of melody you squeeze out of yourself when you're forced to. I used to make up songs with that kind of melody as a teen (like, when humming over homework, etc), and I was not musical or into music. :P

Finland's entry is too pop-py for me to be a full-on fan, but i do think the melody at least is professional sounding. There's an effortlessness about it that is lacking from the "squeezed out" entries that are very common in Eurovision on the whole.

But hey, let's talk about Hungary's entry! ;) I actually hadn't heard it ever before (I've been very busy). I thought it was very sweet, and a nice contrast to the exhausting melodrama that many countries send. And Hungarian is such a cute language, this is exactly the kind of context that brings out how cute it is. In the second semifinal, I now remember Hungary, Malta and Norway standing out in a favourable way. And I'm proud of Finland for doing something different from ever before in style this year. :)

EDIT: I also kind of like the official music video for our song (Marry Me). I was worried they would overdo the questionable theme of stalkerhood in the song, and the video does indeed feature a kidnapping and tattooing :para:, but in the end they thankfully remember to give the poor groom some agency by showing him starting to get into the music at the wedding and dancing a little, and then actually be the one who proposes. (I know, I overanalyse these things but media portrayals of consent issues are important to me.)
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

miae

Postby miae » 2013-05-17, 10:28

It's not news for the rest of the Europe, but this year also Balkan had to realize the harsh truth that ESC turned into North-Eastern Eurovision Song Contest. It kinda shows the current economic situation as well: the blue countries (old rich) have some silver left and they can buy their entrance to the final. The Northern Europe manages to keep up with fresh East who'd do anything to succeed. Did a bit of characterization but that's basically it.

TeneReef wrote:I think all exYU countries should withdraw from competition,
not fair

Varislintu wrote:But hey, let's talk about Hungary's entry! ;)
I liked the tune, but he tried so hard to look hipstery. Same with Israel. Don't like those glasses :shock:

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2013-05-17, 10:44

miae wrote:It's not news for the rest of the Europe, but this year also Balkan had to realize the harsh truth that ESC turned into North-Eastern Eurovision Song Contest. It kinda shows the current economic situation as well: the blue countries (old rich) have some silver left and they can buy their entrance to the final. The Northern Europe manages to keep up with fresh East who'd do anything to succeed. Did a bit of characterization but that's basically it.
Countries like Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina are still doing way better than the Netherlands and Belgium, so I don't get your point.
Image Image Image | Image Image | Image

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-05-17, 10:45

Haha, it's kind of funny to see how the self pitying moves around geografically with the success. As if Western Europe wasn't saying "Baahh, we should just QUIT, we never win!" a couple years ago. :lol:

Hungary's entry sort of reminded me of J. Karjalainen's classic song Hän ("She/He"), not so much because the melody would be the same but the idea is sort of similar. Hän is a bit in a different league, though, an iconic Finnish hit by one of our best song writers. Myeah, it still wins by a mile (*is J. Karjalainen fan*).
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2013-05-17, 10:48

Varislintu wrote:Haha, it's kind of funny to see how the self pitying moves around geografically with the success. As if Western Europe wasn't saying "Baahh, we should just QUIT, we never win!" a couple years ago. :lol:
Haha, the Netherlands has been so close to giving up, we really needed to go to the finals this year. :P

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-05-17, 13:38

Well, I consider Greece as sort of Balkan and they are in the final! And okay, the Netherlands is in the final this year, but we haven't been in like ten years.... I'm so exited! :)

I just opened this thread to say how cute I thought Hungary was, so you're not the only one with that opinion Varislintu! I really liked it :)

[edit] Oh, and why didn't Turkey participate this year?

Corrections appreciated.

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2013-05-17, 14:32

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:I just opened this thread to say how cute I thought Hungary was, so you're not the only one with that opinion Varislintu! I really liked it :)
Oh really, I like it so much, too! Hungarian sounds so awesome, The song almost gives me wanderlust. ^^

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:[edit] Oh, and why didn't Turkey participate this year?
I thought they mentioned something like financial problems during the show.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2013-05-17, 14:42

Well, luckily Greece found a way to get enough money then... I thought Turkey's economy was booming... And as you can see at the Dutch performence: it doesn't need to cost a lot of money when you let the performer herself write the song and give her normal clothes and no weird choreography!

I just listened to the French song, that actually seems to be quite nice too :)

Corrections appreciated.

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2013-05-17, 15:17

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:Well, luckily Greece found a way to get enough money then... I thought Turkey's economy was booming... And as you can see at the Dutch performence: it doesn't need to cost a lot of money when you let the performer herself write the song and give her normal clothes and no weird choreography!
Oh, I must have misunderstood it, it seems there's a different reason:
TRT, the national Turkish broadcaster, has announced in a communique on their official website that Turkey will not compete at the forthcoming Eurovision Song Contest in Sweden next May. The broadcaster's reasons for withdrawing from next year's event are the changes in the voting system of the contest: introduction of 50/50 jury and televoting deliberation, and the Big 5 rule, enabling Spain, Italy, UK, France and Germany to automatically qualify every year for the final. The broadcaster expresses its discontent regarding these rules and feels they are not fair.
Source

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2013-05-17, 20:05

Well, I heard Turkey isn't even showing the show because of our entry's woman-to-woman kiss. I guess they'd rather have tantrums than fun.
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2013-05-17, 21:51

Varislintu wrote:
TeneReef wrote:Switzerland.

Sorry, but I think that song was extremely contrived. It's the kind of melody you squeeze out of yourself when you're forced to. I used to make up songs with that kind of melody as a teen (like, when humming over homework, etc), and I was not musical or into music. :P
Well, I'm not musical :P

I do understand that the quality of the song is low. But I just can't explain why I liked it so much :para:
[flag=Mom's side of the family]fo[/flag] Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs) Playing with (ga)

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2013-05-18, 17:29

kibo wrote:BTW, here's a nice tool for making your top list of all the songs http://omfgerbear.tumblr.com/esc2013
According to this, my top 10 list is as follows (and I'd say it's pretty accurate):
1 Iceland
2 Sweden
3 Italy
4 Israel
5 Denmark
6 Norway
7 Malta
8 Ukraine
9 Serbia
10 Switzerland

Well, Denmark wins as expected. I wish there was a way to make this contest less predictable.

benjamino59

Postby benjamino59 » 2013-05-18, 22:47

DANMARK!!!

It's going to be awesome next year inHerning, Copenhagen or where ever next competion is going to be held.

Return to “Culture”