The Anime Thread

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Lur
Re: The Anime Thread

Postby Lur » 2017-11-08, 17:35

So I'm currently on more Little Witch Academia, more Haruhi Suzumiya, Planetes and Cardcaptor Sakura and the list for stuff after that is overly long :lol:
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-08, 18:56

I've been working my way through Inuyasha.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-08, 18:58

That's a classic. I still have fond memories of watch Inuyasha when I was younger.

How are you finding it?

I've been working my way through Nisekoi. I'm towards the end of the second season. Good, good shit. :lol:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-09, 17:35

I'm liking it a lot! This is my first anime in perhaps 2 years, and it's nice to watch + hear Japanese again. Yesterday night, as I was lying in bed, I found myself even remembering a few Japanese words and grammar points I once knew!
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-09, 17:44

*whispers* you should learn Japanese with me.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-09, 17:53

I want to, but I'm taking things slow. I don't want to rush into starting a whole bunch of languages at once. So, soon I hope. Though most likely sometime next year.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-09, 18:08

:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-09, 20:55

Don't give me those puppy dog eyes! I'm a sucker for puppy dog eyes... :yep:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-09, 21:04

:doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-09, 21:15

*must resist...look away...look away.............* Ah fuck it, let's just do Irish and Japanese and throw in the towel on French, Spanish, Portuguese and Swedish! :lol: :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-09, 21:29

YES! DO IT!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-09, 21:32

Aren't you a Biblical Studies major or something? :nono: AHEM lead us not into temptation...

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-09, 21:41

On the contrary. I'm leading him into the light of salvation.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-09, 22:02

vijayjohn wrote:Aren't you a Biblical Studies major or something? :nono: AHEM lead us not into temptation...

Studying and adhering to something are two completely different things! :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-09, 22:07

My child, Japanese is the path to righteousness.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-09, 22:12

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Aren't you a Biblical Studies major or something? :nono: AHEM lead us not into temptation...

Studying and adhering to something are two completely different things! :P

Hey! I'm on your side, dammit! :hmpf:
:lol:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-11-10, 0:03

"lead us not into temptation"? It... it doesn't sound as the same as "não nos deixe cair em tentação".

I should have read the Bible in English until the end. :hmm:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-10, 0:08

Osias wrote:"lead us not into temptation"? It... it doesn't sound as the same as "não nos deixe cair em tentação".

I should have read the Bible in English until the end. :hmm:

Well, "lead us not into temptation" is an older phrasing, commonly associated with the King James version. More recent versions would say things like "let us not fall into temptation" (same as "não nos deixe cair em tentação") or "keep us from temptation". That's one problem with the KJV being so commonly known: it still uses somewhat archaic phrasing and meanings. There are other examples of this, but I don't recall any right now.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-11-10, 1:33

King James, Uh? [Chapolim Colorado]I've suspected that since the beginning![/Chapolim Colorado]

People like Jack Chick regard this version as The Most Faithful Ever, but every time I see some quote and pay attention I see some bizarre subtle or not-so-subtle difference of meaning like this.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-10, 23:24

Osias wrote:People like Jack Chick regard this version as The Most Faithful Ever, but every time I see some quote and pay attention I see some bizarre subtle or not-so-subtle difference of meaning like this.

From what I recall and understand, the idea among some Christians that KJV is the most faithful or best translation ever has a lot to do with propaganda. KJV was initiated and sponsored by King James, and while it's true that the translators did try to be fairly accurate and faithful to the original texts, there was also a lot of specific decisions made about phrasing, translating, etc. in order to convey the message that King James / the church at the time wanted to convey. It wasn't quite like several of the more modern English translations, where the translators really did try to focus only on conveying the message as accurately as possible. If I'm not mistaken, I think there are even passages where the KJV translators used original manuscripts that were in the minority. Meaning, out of the corpus of text for a particular book/passage, the majority had it written one way, and a few had it written another way. And the KJV translators (intentionally?) picked the minority.

Return to “Culture”