The Anime Thread

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: The Anime Thread

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-10, 23:30

It's funny to me that we're discussing religion in the anime thread. :P

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-10, 23:53

księżycowy wrote:It's funny to me that we're discussing religion in the anime thread. :P

Yeah me too! Let's discuss a religion-based anime! There was one I started watching on Netflix some time back, but never continued. It was about a witch who lived during a time of war between the French and the English. The themes were along the lines of her being abstinent and that's about all I remember. (Could I be more vague? :P)
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-11, 0:01

The only witch show I remember of recent vintage is Izetta: The Last Witch, and I didn't find too many religious themes in it.

It's been years but I know there are plenty of religious themes in both Trigun and Evangelion.
I never cared much for mechanical, but Trigun was awesome.

Oddly enough though it had nothing to do with Christianity, I couldn't help but see religious themes in Rurouni Kenshin.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2017-11-11, 1:41, edited 1 time in total.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-11, 1:35

I googled it, and it's called Maria the Virgin Witch and is set during France's Hundred Years War.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-11, 1:41

I've literally never heard of that manga/anime before. Huh.

Izetta is set in a WWII setting (though with fantasy elements, and names changed to protect the innocent.)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-11, 1:50

I started watching the first episode; I believe it was on Netflix, but I can't seem to find it now. It was this kinda odd, kinda interesting mix of Christian/Catholic religious themes and sexuality themes (along the lines of abstinence versus promiscuity, and of course the usual etchi :D).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-11, 1:54

Oh, Japan. You rascal, you. :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-11, 9:23

I just thought of another somewhat religiously themed anime! Gabrielle Dropout, which is basically a highschool moe comedy with angels and demons. :P

Lur

Postby Lur » 2017-11-11, 13:54

księżycowy wrote:It's been years but I know there are plenty of religious themes in both Trigun and Evangelion.

It seems to me like Eva is using Jewish and Christian imagery in the same way Marvel movies use random elements from Icelandic religion :lol: The influence of Japan's own culture seems to be underestimated sometimes when discussing it, though

I really really like it, but it doesn't have to do with the use of such imagery.
Last edited by Lur on 2017-11-11, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-11, 13:56

For Evangelion? Yeah, but it's still there. :P

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2017-11-12, 7:56

Or let's discuss an anime-based religion!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-12, 9:09

Where do I sign up? And where are the worship services? Can I venerate the characters of my choosing?

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2017-11-12, 9:36

księżycowy wrote:Where do I sign up? And where are the worship services? Can I venerate the characters of my choosing?

Pokémon was considered satanic by some churches. You can start with that.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-12, 9:42

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-12, 9:45

"I'm working on my thesis in Biblical Studies!" (types "THE ROLE OF SATANISM IN POKÉMON")

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-12, 9:56

I NEED REN-CHON IN MY LIFE~~~~~!

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-13, 19:37

Yeah some of my relatives subscribed to that belief! Thankfully my parents didn't. But I have 2 cousins who weren't allowed to play Pokémon because their parents thought it contained Satanic elements.

Edit: If we make a anime religion, we could register it and then get holidays because of religious tolerance as well as tax breaks! (Well, at least here in Canada, we could :D).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-13, 20:22

I'm only on board if we get to pick our gods/goddesses and saints.

I never heard about the Pokemon thing (though I could easily see it :lol: ), but I know people who believe that DnD was satanic. I know that's not anime, but you know.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-13, 21:20

księżycowy wrote:I'm only on board if we get to pick our gods/goddesses and saints.

Sure, why not? After all Hinduism is a polytheistic religion (or rather, as I just found out by googling, some variants of Hinduism can be). We could even make it more pantheistic, if you'd like. Perhaps base things a little on the mythos of Tolkien - the idea of one "god" being with multiple "angels" that can be worshipped as lesser gods? Really, the sky's the limit!

księżycowy wrote:I never heard about the Pokemon thing (though I could easily see it :lol: ), but I know people who believe that DnD was satanic. I know that's not anime, but you know.

I just googled "pokémon christianity" and a bunch of articles came up. Here's one by Focus on the Family, which is a fairly conservative Protestant Christian organization. Surprisingly, they actually say that pokémon isn't occultic per se:
Those who go deeper — especially if playing the card game — will be exposed to ideas that while not occultic, per se, definitely move in directions Christian parents might be less than comfortable with.

But there are other articles that decry it a lot more.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-13, 21:36

In all seriousness, Jesus Christ people. Jesus Christ.

It's just Pokémon!

Return to “Culture”