Traditional national costumes/clothes

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

aquarius

Postby aquarius » 2004-07-29, 7:44

well, only in school fashion show :(

Maja

Re: Traditional national costumes/clothes

Postby Maja » 2004-07-29, 9:57

Daniel wrote:My question here is that when you wear your country's traditional costume (if you have ever done that), do you get stared at a lot - both by locals and tourists?

I've never done this and I don't have our traditional costume at all. It's quite expensive to have it done, because it's hand made. And where should I wear it? I'm not a member of any folklore group... you know that traditional singing and dancing...
We urban people don't wear such clothes. Maybe you can find some in the rural area when they have their traditional village festivals or religious holidays.

Oh, yes, there's another group of people who wear it as their working uniform: members of folk-popular music (narodno-zabavna glasba) ensembles.... Germans know this music as oberkrainer music. :wink:
Maja

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2004-07-29, 16:45

Sometimes in September (our national month) I use to wear our traditional costume to dance "cueca" (our national dance) at school... But I don't wear it outside. :) It'd be kinda odd here.

[I couldn't find a photo right now on google, I typed "cueca" and a lot of semi-naked guys appeared....]
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

Weldal

LOL

Postby Weldal » 2004-07-29, 17:11

Strigo wrote:Sometimes in September (our national month) I use to wear our traditional costume to dance "cueca" (our national dance) at school...

LOL :lol:
Funny false friend...
"Cueca" is exactly the word for male underwear in (Brazilian) Portuguese... :wink:

Eu Sou Eu

Re: LOL

Postby Eu Sou Eu » 2004-07-29, 17:34

Weldal wrote:
Strigo wrote:"Cueca" is exactly the word for male underwear in (Brazilian) Portuguese... :wink:

Only here? How is it in Portugal?
There's more to see,
Than can ever be seen;
There's more to do,
Than can ever be done;

VF Static

Postby VF Static » 2004-08-02, 6:39

Last edited by VF Static on 2016-07-06, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

Pink Rabbit

Postby Pink Rabbit » 2004-08-31, 8:33

Apparently New Zealand (my home country) either a) doesn't have a National Costume or b) it consists of singlet, gumboots and a swandrai or c) its a "flax skirt and a kiwi feather cloak" as a friend of mine put it.

What I really REALLY want to know is what the Brazilian National Costume is- me and a friend are representing Brazil at a Model Security Council and we are desperate to wear the National Costume (so we look really cool and like we've done heaps of research).

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2004-08-31, 12:02

Pink_Rabbit wrote:What I really REALLY want to know is what the Brazilian National Costume is- me and a friend are representing Brazil at a Model Security Council and we are desperate to wear the National Costume (so we look really cool and like we've done heaps of research).

There isn't one. Brazil is a recent country, an ex-colony, so it doesn't have this kind of old traditions.

Some regions have something similar to a "regional costume", but it is not as characteristic as some countries' costumes.
This gubblick contains many nosklarkish English flutzpahs, but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. – David Moser

Lada

Postby Lada » 2004-08-31, 13:38

Daniel wrote:My question here is that when you wear your country's traditional costume (if you have ever done that), do you get stared at a lot - both by locals and tourists?

Personnaly me, i ve never done it, but my friend's father do it quite often - he is member of the monarchist party, and during their meetings all the members wear an old fashion clothes, as all members are men(i havent heard about women) they wear military uniform of the end of 19th begining of 20th century. This man likes to go in this uniform on the streets and of course people stare at him, but he doesnt absolutely care about it. Sometimes he likes to say: Go away - dont you see we are shooting the film? :wink:

Aimpit

Postby Aimpit » 2004-09-01, 3:36

VF Static wrote:What would be traditional American clothing? :lol:

Whenever I see foreign television shows portraying Americans in traditional clothing, they always seem to dress us up as cowboys. This is kind of funny, but it's probably the best guess at what a traditional American costume would be.

We do still have cowboys (mainly in the west) for whom this attire is acceptable. Though, this type of dress is very practical for their job, I'm pretty sure they get stared at by tourists even though the locals are used to it. Where I live, if I went out dressed up as a cowboy (well cowgirl), I'm pretty sure I would get stared at. :D

Weldal

What about this ?

Postby Weldal » 2004-09-02, 15:12

ekalin wrote:There isn't one. Brazil is a recent country, an ex-colony, so it doesn't have this kind of old traditions.

Some regions have something similar to a "regional costume", but it is not as characteristic as some countries' costumes.

What about this ?

Bahia - baiana

Rio Grande do Sul - gaúcho

Rio de Janeiro - carioca

P. Pat

Postby P. Pat » 2004-09-03, 10:29

I don't have a traditional costume. But about 60 kilometres far from my hometown there are the Sorbs (Sorben) at the Oberlausitz / Spreewald. They have an very old tradition and their costumes looks very pretty.http://gcjm.dyndns.org/sw/index.afp or http://www.sorben.com/Sorbs/[/img]

FNORD

Postby FNORD » 2004-09-03, 16:08

Hey, Weldal, what would be a paulista's tradicional costume?

Weldal

I don't know...

Postby Weldal » 2004-09-03, 19:44

FNORD wrote:Hey, Weldal, what would be a paulista's tradicional costume?

Well, Fnord, I really don't know... :?
A suit ? No, it can be a traditional cloth for every urban business man in the world. A cloth of "caipira" ? Only for the countryside, of course, paulistanos (people from the main town) can not be represented by such clothes... :roll:
Perhaps Bender, Pittsboy or Psi-Lord can give some eventual answer... :wink:

local yokel

re: traditional American costume

Postby local yokel » 2004-09-04, 1:02

At least in the North America, most of the natives were massacred or driven into exile (mostly into Oklahoma :)), but there are a few occasions for native dress...

Ladomyra

Postby Ladomyra » 2015-11-04, 10:34

I'm from Ukraine; and we estimate our national costume very much. I use some pieces of traditional attire rather often (for example, an embroidered shirt) even in day-to-day life. But I actually don’t have a full set of national clothing.
Our folk costume can be really feminine and beautiful, and I like embroidery very much. If you’re curious, here is a video of our parade of embroidered clothing (it was made on the Independence Day of Ukraine): http://nationalclothing.org/15-national ... video.html. And here you can read in detail about Ukrainian national costume (its history, traditions and features): http://nationalclothing.org/15-national ... dress.html.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2015-11-04, 10:52

In Catalonia is still pretty common to use the traditional shoes "espardenyes" in summer

Arbnor

Postby Arbnor » 2015-12-19, 14:37

The traditional costumes have vanished almost completely from daily life. However, you may find some people in full dress, most of the time elder women from the villages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYM1QFx-uyM

Return to “Culture”