Swear words for small town people

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Nazīr
Re: Swear words for small town people

Postby Nazīr » 2010-09-27, 20:02

linguoboy wrote:
KingHarvest wrote:Missoureh!

Is that someplace in Iran?

Nope, it's an alternative pronunciation of Missouri. You can read more about it here.
ख़ुसरो दरिया प्रेम का उल्टा वा धार । जो उतरा सो डूब गया जो डूबा सो पार | अमीर ख़ुसरौ दहलवी
O Khusro, the river of love runs in strange directions. |
The one who enters it drowns, and the one who drowns, gets across. |
Amīr Khusro of Dehlī (1253–1325 CE)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2010-09-27, 20:30

Velayati wrote:Nope, it's an alternative pronunciation of Missouri. You can read more about it here.

Um, did you perhaps the part where I said I was from Missouri?

There are two common native pronunciations of my home state's name: /mɪ'zʌri/ and /mɪ'zʌrə/. The latter is sometimes informally rendered "Missourah" or (more rarely) "Missoura". I've never seen "Missoureh" before, doubtless because the eh spelling suggests to most English speakers [ɛ], not [ə]. This spelling of final [ɛ] is particularly characteristic of romanised Persian (e.g. Masouleh, Roudboneh, Houshmandzadeh), thus my question.

But if by "alternative" you means "used in an alternative universe", then, yes, you're absolutely right.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2010-09-27, 22:02

I've always seen people spell the alternative pronunciation as "Missoureh," but, then again, Missouri doesn't come up in conversation all that commonly in Maine (mostly just when I found out the other day that it was legal in Missouri until 1980 to shoot Mormons on sight).
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2010-09-27, 22:17

KingHarvest wrote:I've always seen people spell the alternative pronunciation as "Missoureh," but, then again, Missouri doesn't come up in conversation all that commonly in Maine

You can see how people spell their words when they're speaking?

For the record:
"Missoureh": 115 Ghits
"Missoura": 66,900 Ghits
"Missourah": 99,700 Ghits
"Missouri": 122,000,000 Ghits

Conclusion: Move out of Lovecraft country.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2010-09-28, 2:21

?

Do you always make a point to prove to people that they're wrong when they've already admitted as much?
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2010-09-28, 3:13

KingHarvest wrote:Do you always make a point to prove to people that they're wrong when they've already admitted as much?

Generally, I don't need to. Most people I talk to already know how to use Google.

Nazīr

Postby Nazīr » 2010-09-28, 3:47

linguoboy wrote:Um, did you perhaps the part where I said I was from Missouri?

Sorry, I did miss that :oops:

I skipped to the last couple of posts in the thread and just assumed you were serious. Humor and sarcasm often don't translate well over the internet, which is why I usually use an emoticon.

linguoboy wrote:There are two common native pronunciations of my home state's name: /mɪ'zʌri/ and /mɪ'zʌrə/. The latter is sometimes informally rendered "Missourah" or (more rarely) "Missoura". I've never seen "Missoureh" before, doubtless because the eh spelling suggests to most English speakers [ɛ], not [ə]. This spelling of final [ɛ] is particularly characteristic of romanised Persian (e.g. Masouleh, Roudboneh, Houshmandzadeh), thus my question.

Urdu has a lot of Persian loanwords. What ends in romanised Persian with -eh ends simply as -a in romanised Urdu, though these words are spelled the same in the Perso-Arabic script both languages share (e.g. afsaneh/afsana, zamaneh/zamana, setareh/sitara). I'm so used to this that I didn't make the distinction between "Missoureh" and "Missoura".
Last edited by Nazīr on 2010-09-28, 4:51, edited 1 time in total.
ख़ुसरो दरिया प्रेम का उल्टा वा धार । जो उतरा सो डूब गया जो डूबा सो पार | अमीर ख़ुसरौ दहलवी
O Khusro, the river of love runs in strange directions. |
The one who enters it drowns, and the one who drowns, gets across. |
Amīr Khusro of Dehlī (1253–1325 CE)

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2010-09-28, 4:11

linguoboy wrote:
KingHarvest wrote:Do you always make a point to prove to people that they're wrong when they've already admitted as much?

Generally, I don't need to. Most people I talk to already know how to use Google.

You're really deviating from your normal rational self right now.
-A.E. Housman

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2010-11-04, 15:42

Americans who don't live in California are just non-Californians. I don't think people speculate too much about other parts of the country. We have enough stereotypes here to entertain feeble minds for a lifetime

Whenever i move to another part of the country, people always make a point to ask where i'm from, like it's something unique. In California you don't get this much, since half the population comes from another state or country
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-11-04, 21:36

Gormur wrote:Americans who don't live in California are just non-Californians. I don't think people speculate too much about other parts of the country. We have enough stereotypes here to entertain feeble minds for a lifetime

Whenever i move to another part of the country, people always make a point to ask where i'm from, like it's something unique. In California you don't get this much, since half the population comes from another state or country

Here in NY, people don't care.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2010-11-05, 1:40

Formiko wrote:
Gormur wrote:Americans who don't live in California are just non-Californians. I don't think people speculate too much about other parts of the country. We have enough stereotypes here to entertain feeble minds for a lifetime

Here in NY, people don't care.

Exactly. There are exceptions everywhere, but in general, people here could care less where you're from
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

loqu

Postby loqu » 2010-11-05, 14:27

Gormur wrote:Exactly. There are exceptions everywhere, but in general, people here could care less where you're from

If they could care less, it means they care at least a little bit, don't they?
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2010-11-05, 14:31

loqu wrote:
Gormur wrote:Exactly. There are exceptions everywhere, but in general, people here could care less where you're from

If they could care less, it means they care at least a little bit, don't they?

Only pedants would say so: http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001182.html

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2010-11-05, 21:28

Everyone cares a little but they can always care even less through conditioning :wink:

loqu

Postby loqu » 2010-11-05, 21:35

Linguoboy, I'm not trying to be a pedant, just a curious learner. I always heard it negated, so I just got puzzled with the unnegated sentence.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-11-05, 22:14

loqu wrote:Linguoboy, I'm not trying to be a pedant, just a curious learner. I always heard it negated, so I just got puzzled with the unnegated sentence.

I usually say it negated also, but I've heard both, and they mean the same thing :)
This is one of my favorites though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuCN6CD8j_s
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Muisje

Postby Muisje » 2010-11-06, 13:53

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbSSQe6vsSw

About 0:55. Although the rest is fun too (even if he's not always right :P )
you either lose your fear
or spend your life
with one foot in the grave
over the rhine - spark

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2010-11-06, 17:30

As long as we're posting our favourite YouTube grammar rants, how about one actually relevant to the topic at hand? (Not to mention a cut above the rest.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2010-11-17, 17:22

To us, these are big cities rather than small towns, but I don't know about y'all's views :P

I live right between three quarreling cities.
Fredrikstad is a city to the south-east of me which lies where Glomma, the biggest river in Norway, runs into the ocean. This was the city where a lot of timber would end up when chopped down upstream, and thus the city itself is also known as "Plankebyen" (= The board/plank/slat city). Inhabitants are referred to by the two other cities as "plankär/plankær" (boards) or "plankähúur/plankähúer" (board heads).

Moss is a city a little further north, closer to Oslo. It so happens that they have a factory in there somewhere, whose smell is easy to recognize ... As it is further north, we, and the other two cities, don't get that smell too often because the wind usually blows west or north-west. However, then occasionally does get here, it is impossible not to comment on it. Additionally, they have a huge, very visible landfill, which not surprisingly also smell as you pass it on the freeway. Inhabitants are referred to as "kråker" (crows; from the city emblem/landfill) and "søppel(menn)" (waste (collectors)). The city itself is sometimes known as "(Mossä/æ)lukta" (The (Moss) smell).

Sarpsborg, locally known as Särp/Særp or Sarsborr/Rsarsborr/Sjarsborr. It lies to the east of me, and is one of the oldest cities in the country founded by our king Saint Olaf. It burned down about 500 years ago, after which a great deal of people moved south and founded Fredrikstad. Inhabitants known collectively as "Sørpa" (the very watery slush), and a common thing to say to a Sarping is "särp dä/særp dæ!" which is a pun on "skjärp dä/skjærp dæ" (get a grip! / get real! / pull yourself together!)
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

johnH

Postby johnH » 2010-11-22, 10:13

Their is also the joke… that, every house less than a hundred miles from dublin is suburbs.– which is apparently not that far of. the further suburbs of dublin are way north of tarra. which is actually in the countryside *serious face*

Return to “Culture”