Swear words for small town people

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Oleksij
Re: Swear words for small town people

Postby Oleksij » 2010-11-22, 17:04

johnH wrote:Their is also the joke… that, every house less than a hundred miles from dublin is suburbs.– which is apparently not that far of. the further suburbs of dublin are way north of tarra. which is actually in the countryside *serious face*

Yeah, give it a couple of decades, and Athlone and Wexford will be considered Dublin's suburbs. :lol:
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
Youtube Channel

Gormur

Re: Swear words for small town people

Postby Gormur » 2020-03-24, 12:54

linguoboy wrote:
Meera wrote:In the United States they are called, "red necks", "hilibillys" or "hicks".

Those are all names that more urbanised people would use for small-town people. They aren't generally used by small-town people to insult other small-town people, which seemed to me what Saaropean was asking about. (Though, of course, no matter how countrified you are, there's always someone you can look down on from deeper in the backwoods. For instance, "hicks" [i.e. unsophisticated rural folk] often look down on both "hillbillies" [i.e. poor upcountry folk] and "rednecks" [i.e. poor white farmhands].)

In my part of the country, the all-purpose insult for people from the country was "hoosiers", and it was even extended to those who had been brought up in the city or suburbs but still retained a number of traits pegged as unsophisticated. (In that sense, it is closer to a more class-based term like "white trash".)
It's not used very often, but in Canada I recall people being called rural in polite language but also there's another less formal and a rude term, hoser :)

Hoser seems to mean Canadian; although it's like saying Canadian redneck to or about individual people, except you can say it to their face if they're an acquaintance

Basically, being a hoser entails watching a lot of hockey, aside from owning a lot of hockey jerseys and such. It doesn't have to, but this is a common stereotype called hoser. A farmer, for example could be called a hoser and then it'd be offensive :)

You can also use the terms redneck and hillbilly, but they don't quite work out in front of the person you're referring to. In this way I think Canadian English is seen as smarter or more polite than its southern neighbor :hmm:

The only term I remember hearing a few times growing up was hick. I definitely think even this word to be a regionalism. You don't really hear it in, say places outside the West coast, do you? :para: :hmm:

Now that I think about it, people in the Eastern region of the States would call rural people country or maybe country folk, but if you said that in California it really would sound out-of-place. Like, maybe you're referencing something from the South, but how come? :hmm:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Return to “Culture”