Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Widukind
Re: Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

Postby Widukind » 2018-09-04, 3:41

Yasna wrote:Watched Crazy Rich Asians. Great movie within the confines of its genre.

I just saw that, too.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-15, 13:42

I watched some scenes of a 1980 Malayalam movie called Manjil Virinja Pookkal. Why are all the classic Malayalam movies so shitty? This was basically the onscreen debut for all three of the main characters, most notably Mohanlal, one of the most famous Malayalee actors from when I was growing up. Malayalees go fucking crazy over Mohanlal, somewhat similar to people at sports games, but every movie I can ever recall him acting in was shit except Vanaprastham (1999).

Anyway, the movie is basically about a guy who moves to Kodaikanal (a resort town across the border in Tamil Nadu) and falls in love with a woman there only to find out that she's already married to her cousin who's been rather abusive but for reasons that don't ever seem to be specified (a lot of Malayalam movies have villains with no clear motives at all, although this was less common in the 80s than afterwards). The cousin eventually kills his cousin/wife, after which the hero kills the husband (to avenge the woman) by running over him and then kills himself (upon realizing there's no point in him continuing to live without her) by driving off a cliff. The hero is pretty creepy himself and not a very well-developed character.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-01-15, 16:24

Mortal Machines. I liked it.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2019-02-01, 10:39

One of Almodovar's latest - Julieta. I liked it a lot! No wonder it's said to be one of his best movies :)
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-20, 5:32

Meet the Real People of Afghanistan (2014), courtesy of Journeyman Pictures. It was a nice opportunity for me to learn more about what daily life for ordinary people in Afghanistan is like beyond just "the Taliban are terrible to women." It's also a nice opportunity for me to hear lots of Dari, and it introduced me to an important Afghan artist I wasn't familiar with and one of his songs. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-27, 18:53

Was there any Pashto?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-28, 0:25

Yes, of course, there's plenty of Pashto in it as well. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-28, 17:15

Pashto stu----!

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-02-28, 23:20

“ Ali’s wedding “, in English, and I liked it, it made me laugh and cry :ohwell:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-03-01, 1:07

księżycowy wrote:Pashto stu----!

----dy group! :mrgreen:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-04-06, 6:26

“Qarib Qarib Single” (2017), in Hindi with English subtitles.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-05-05, 18:34

Ended up watching most of two Iranian movies called گاو‎ (The Cow, 1969) and شب‌نشینی در جهنم (A Party in Hell, 1956). The first was not hugely different from what little I've already seen of Iranian cinema; it's basically an art movie (largely responsible for promoting the Iranian New Wave). The second is a lot more like American movies from around the same time period IMO; the plot reminds me of A Christmas Carol (greedy, rich, old man is visited by supernatural figures that show him the error of his ways and then he suddenly becomes very generous). It was kind of interesting to see people in Tehran(?) openly drinking and apparently also swearing a lot, along with a random reference to Sikhs.

I also saw bits and pieces of Iran's first movie دختر لر (Lor Girl, 1934), Afghanistan's first movie مانند عقاب (Like Eagles, 1967), and an Afghan movie called پناه (Panaah, 2008 - I guess this would mean 'light') about an Afghan refugee smuggler working with the Russian mafia(?) in Bulgaria. All of these have songs except گاو‎ and پناه.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-06-16, 8:19

I have watched «  Mauvaises herbes » in French https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6708116/mediaviewer/rm2127381504

and the « Jinn » series in Jordanian Arabic. The Jinn series are currently being very controversial in the Arabic world, because the main characters are teens, so there are one or two kisses, and some bad words employed.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-06-16, 17:51

Antea wrote:and the « Jinn » series in Jordanian Arabic. The Jinn series are currently being very controversial in the Arabic world, because the main characters are teens, so there are one or two kisses, and some bad words employed.

Thanks for mentioning it! I watched the trailer on youtube, and it looks nice. May be worth renewing my Netflix account.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-06-17, 6:32

I recently watched bits and pieces of another Malayalam movie called Chithram (1988). This was apparently one of those movies that I played over and over again when I was little, and I also played the songs from this movie on an audio cassette throughout a long car trip around the same time. The description of this movie on Wikipedia is wrong; although it certainly has its lighthearted moments, it is not a comedy at all, let alone a screwball comedy. It is about a photographer who accidentally murders his mute wife and is ultimately given the death penalty. I suppose I'm slowly warming up a bit to these kinds of Malayalam movies, but their plots are still so awkward somehow.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-03, 14:33

In Egyptian Arabic: "The cell", "From Japan to Egypt" and "Regatta".

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-13, 0:49

Auf Deutsch, 3 Türken und ein Baby.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-15, 20:29

A BBC documentary filmed in Diepsloot, South Africa, called My Neighbour The Rapist (from last year)

Also, I never mentioned this, but I've seen Rise and Fall of Idi Amin (1981) a few times by now.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-08-15, 22:46

I saw Netflix's I Am Mother.

It was good. Not a lot. But good. I was expecting it to be bad as Moon.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-08-21, 19:06

bitcohen wrote:The latest "Notebook" movie. The movie is very nicely pictured. It's a must watch. All the actors have acted very well especially both the lead actors. The movie also sends a nice message in the end too. I would certainly recommend to watch it.

Uh... Hi! Introduce yourself in the introductions thread! :yep:

Return to “Culture”