Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Car
Forum Administrator
Re: Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

Postby Car » 2010-01-28, 19:08

Varislintu wrote:Yeah, that's what I thought as well at first. I thought 'great' was referring to the 3D and digital effects, or the whole experience. But then I've started hearing comments that sound more like praise of the movie itself. I don't know, I may be misinterpreting (especially some US conversational cultures, where "Oh I absolutely loved it, it was amazing" seems to be what you say when you can't really think of anything specific to say :P), but it feels strange.

Hmm, by now, the film's so hyped that it wouldn't surprise me if it's just the hype itself which leads to those comments. As soon as something is hyped enough, there'll always be people who say (or even think) it actually is great.
Well, I hope I'll finally see it. The upcoming exams combined with a lack of a 3D cinema in my home town don't make it too likely, though. I could easily see it here in 3D, but with two exams next week alone, we don't really feel like going.
Please correct my mistakes!

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2010-01-28, 21:02

Lada wrote:My last film is Черная Молния. Saw it in the cinema yesterday.

And what’s your verdict, is it an okay movie for entertainment purposes?

És mi a véleményed, elég jól működik szórakoztató filmként?
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

kibo

Postby kibo » 2010-01-28, 23:32

Car wrote:but I think it's hyped because it's in 3D.

Indeed, this film has set a milestone in 3D cinema, hopefully movies like this will become a regular thing so the hype will calm down. I can hardly wait for Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

I can't find anything racist about it, though.

The last film I watched was Scherlock Holmes and I loved it.
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Meera

Postby Meera » 2010-01-29, 1:02

Varislintu wrote:
Meera wrote:I saw Avatar today, what a piece of crap cliched racist movie :evil:

Why racist? Or racist against human kind :P?

Meera wrote:i have no idea how this movie beat titanic and they everyone was talkin about i thought it would be great, but it was soo stupid.

I must agree that I don't quite understand the level of hype. I wonder if it's not orchestrated by some paid "opinion planters" or something. I mean, sure, it's not a bad movie, but surely any adult (who has seen enough movies) will see just how clichéd and unoriginal it is. Nothing wrong with enjoying it as a fun thing with cool effects, but I don't see why anyone would call it 'great' or 'awesome'.

No Racist in the fact tha it takes an "American" of course to beat the bad guy, weather its his side or not, why couldnt the aliens take out the Americans out on their own? The movie made it seem like they were stupid primitives. It was also a ripoff of ferngully and Pochantas. i still cant get over how everyone loves it, i normally dont hate any movie i see but this wasnt what i was expecting, i guess maybe becuse of the hype i thought it was going to be like amazing, but it as far from it. :P
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Lada

Postby Lada » 2010-01-29, 7:04

CoBB wrote:
Lada wrote:My last film is Черная Молния. Saw it in the cinema yesterday.

And what’s your verdict, is it an okay movie for entertainment purposes?

És mi a véleményed, elég jól működik szórakoztató filmként?

I think yes. It doesn't have an original plot, well, I haven't seen any original movies except for Antichrist (Lars von Trier) lately. But this one is a good New Year story telling about how the good forces beat the evil. It has some nice effects like flying cars over the Moscow center. Love story is included, just an easy-watching movie, like easy-listening music. Many people didn't like it because the plot was stolen from "Batman", "Spiderman" etc.

I've watched Avatar 3D and I didn't like the film either, it is half Matrix, half "Western" about "white people coming and killing Indians" etc. Well, the movie has become the best in box offices just because of a very good marketing campaign, those guys know how to make films for earning money...One of my friends couldn't watch it till the end, such a crap it is...

My last film is "Chariots of Fire" actually, an early 1980s British movie based on a real story about sportsmen. Well, I'm disappointed except for the genuine Vangelis music....

Meera

Postby Meera » 2010-01-29, 18:26

Lada wrote:
I've watched Avatar 3D and I didn't like the film either, it is half Matrix, half "Western" about "white people coming and killing Indians" etc. Well, the movie has become the best in box offices just because of a very good marketing campaign, those guys know how to make films for earning money...One of my friends couldn't watch it till the end, such a crap it is...

Yeah its Pochantas in Space :P

And today I watched a bollywood movie called Dhamaal, it was on Zee TV and I had nothing else better to do. It was funny and I liked the songs. Lol :mrgreen:

And I really wanna see the new Nicholas Sparks written movie coming out, I really loved the notebook which he also wrote. lol
अहिंसा/เจ

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2010-01-29, 19:48

kibo wrote:
Car wrote:but I think it's hyped because it's in 3D.

Indeed, this film has set a milestone in 3D cinema, hopefully movies like this will become a regular thing so the hype will calm down. I can hardly wait for Burton's Alice in Wonderland.

I do hope that it will become regular when glasses won't be needed for that any longer. They're even working on 3D TVs which don't require 3D glasses, so it should be possible. I wouldn't want to wear them whenever I watch a film.

Speaking of 3D, BSkyB announced to start showing football matches in 3D in some British pubs. I wonder how the combination of those expensive glasses + lots of alcohol will work out. :D

Meera

Postby Meera » 2010-01-30, 0:45

Car wrote:
kibo wrote:
Speaking of 3D, BSkyB announced to start showing football matches in 3D in some British pubs. I wonder how the combination of those expensive glasses + lots of alcohol will work out. :D

ommg thats awesome!!!!
अहिंसा/เจ

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-01-31, 7:38

I just watched Fiddler on the Roof, the movie version and the broadway version, as well as preforming it four times. ^_^

I love Chayim Topol as an actor, and I have serious respect for him, but I didn't particularly care for his role as Tevye.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2010-01-31, 11:26

Lada wrote:I've watched Avatar 3D and I didn't like the film either, it is half Matrix, half "Western" about "white people coming and killing Indians" etc.

It's basically Dances With Wolves, but ON ANOTHER PLANET !!

kibo wrote:I can't find anything racist about it, though.

Yes, and it's funny how various groups have issues with it. Some reasons are legitimate, but the rest are completely off the wall.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

kibo

Postby kibo » 2010-01-31, 12:39

lol, ridiculous. What a load of PC crap.

Avatar is anti-gay because it doesn't have gay characters in it. wtf?
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

skye

Postby skye » 2010-01-31, 14:26

Avatar seemed to me like a mix of an action film and fantasy:

Saving a group of innocent people
Crazy negative commander of something who won't listen to the voice of reason
Lots of fancy hi-tech war machinery
Basically good people who just want to help but get killed nonetheless (e.g. scientists)
Falling in love with a beautiful local girl
Imaginary places and races
Nice visual effects

(Some of these are more typical of one genre only, some can be in both.)

Stawrberry

Postby Stawrberry » 2010-01-31, 15:17

skye

Postby skye » 2010-01-31, 17:15

Ha, lol. It really is like that.

Guillem

Postby Guillem » 2010-02-03, 2:29

That's genius. :mrgreen:

I've recently watched a silent Dutch movie called Erdgeist, based on Frank Wedekind's play. It was goody, and I liked the main actress, Asta Nielsen, a lot :) It was screened here in Berlin at the 'Kinemathek' and was hosted by drag queen and queercore artist Vaginal Davis... Having a green cocktail called Green Widow, which was supposed to be Nielsen's favourite, with her was quite an experience :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asta_Nielsen

Meera

Postby Meera » 2010-02-04, 5:54

Stawrberry wrote:Avatar = Disney's Pocahontas.

Haha thats great :P Exactly how it is, disney should totally sue
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2010-02-05, 6:28

Today I watched a Movie called the Hurt Locker, I havent heard of it before and saw it on demand so me and my family decieded to watch it. It was amazing! I think it was the most intense movie I ever saw. It was about a guy who defuses IED's in Iraq, as a war movie it was no where near as good as Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan. But just as a movie, it was amazing, its more drama then actaul fighting. :P
अहिंसा/เจ

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2010-03-08, 9:07

I finally managed to see Avatar. It was in the afternoon and yet, it was pretty full. For the time being, they're not showing Alice in 3D because of Avatar (which they only show in 3D these days). I thought the film was pretty boring at first and very predictable in the end, but the 3D effects were cool.
But they should really work on 3D without glasses, they didn't fit at all...

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2010-03-08, 14:27

Recent movies I've seen at the cinema:

Up in the Air: Okay for one watch, but nothing remarkable. Nothing about it was annoying and the ending was even a bit unusual for its genre perhaps, but at the same time it felt a bit forced. The "let's sit down and write (/adapt) a movie for George Clooney" kind of forced. (Score: 7/10)

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: Interesting, visually appealing and there's the "Heath Ledger's last movie appearance" bonus. They did the same mistake as alway with these "circus" movies: they made it too chaotic. But I did enjoy it, it kept my attention all the way through. (8/10)

Hurt Locker: Some exciting moments (making a movie about bomb defusal without managing an exciting moment would be quite an epic fail), but predictable, stereotypical, rather unconvincing characters, apparantly very unrealistic and what I perceived as the "message" (= war jades people) has been expressed better in other movies. (6/10)

Lovely Bones: I'm an escapism junkie so I don't easily get bored at the movies (of my choice), but this one managed it. It wasn't constant boredom, the movie had its moments, but... it was over-acted by the lead character (I'm sure we can blame the director mostly), over-sentimentally and childishly scripted (the dialogues and narrations), and it over-used the "slow effect" (long, stretching scenes with often someone staring at something in an emotional state). Should have been 30-45 minutes shorter with less whispery talk by the dead girl. (4/10)

(Possibly) to be seen in the near future: Sherlock Holmes, Alice in Wonderland, Pandorum, Låt den rätte komma in, Men Staring at Goats :D.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2010-03-09, 0:01

I watched Amelia last night. I wasn't impressed.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Return to “Culture”