Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Osias

Re: Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

Postby Osias » 2019-08-21, 19:06

bitcohen wrote:The latest "Notebook" movie. The movie is very nicely pictured. It's a must watch. All the actors have acted very well especially both the lead actors. The movie also sends a nice message in the end too. I would certainly recommend to watch it.

Uh... Hi! Introduce yourself in the introductions thread! :yep:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Prowler

Postby Prowler » 2019-08-30, 20:21

just finished watching Lucy (2014) starring Scarlett Johansson and it was... well, I can't think of the right adjective. I actually had no idea what I was about to watch. I practically picked this movie randomly. So it was quite a surprise.

I notice reviews on letterboxd are quite mixed. Well, I dunno, I personally enjoyed it. It's basically a sci-fi movie, so you always gotta take such movies wit ha grain of salt. Evern Morgan Freeman's character said rather early in the movie: "Now we are entering the realm of science fiction, and we don’t know any more than the dog who watches the moon." So yeah, it's a sci-fi movie. So what if, at the end:

► Show Spoiler

I was entertained. It was tense and I didn't use it as a science lesson. Sure, it's a bit pretentious at times and hardly realistic, but again, the director clearly wanted to entertain, so he took some freedoms with it.

Oh well, what do you guys think of this film?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-08-31, 12:44

Yesterday I saw Yesterday. I was better than what I was expecting. I intend to see it again soon with my father. I also intend to not tell him anything about the movie beforehand and see how he reacts. :whistle:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-09-09, 3:33

vijayjohn wrote:I recently watched bits and pieces of another Malayalam movie called Chithram (1988). This was apparently one of those movies that I played over and over again when I was little, and I also played the songs from this movie on an audio cassette throughout a long car trip around the same time.

My mom's been watching a lot of Malayalam movies from around this time period lately and wanted to watch one with me, so we watched this together today.
The description of this movie on Wikipedia is wrong; although it certainly has its lighthearted moments, it is not a comedy at all, let alone a screwball comedy. It is about a photographer who accidentally murders his mute wife and is ultimately given the death penalty. I suppose I'm slowly warming up a bit to these kinds of Malayalam movies, but their plots are still so awkward somehow.

To my surprise, neither of my parents was particularly fazed by this plot line. Both of them enjoyed the jokes, though. Most of the jokes are towards the beginning of the movie.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2019-09-12, 1:39

Prowler wrote:
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

I haven't seen "Lucy" in full, but I enjoy movies with this kind of premise, even though I know very well the whole "We only use 10% of our brains" thing is complete hooey.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Return to “Culture”