Series on TV or the Internet

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

md0

Re: Series on TV or the Internet

Postby md0 » 2014-04-01, 7:13

I began listening to 'Welcome to Night Vale', an audio drama I knew about ever since IdeaChannel had an episode on it, but only got around to listen it now.

I'm posting it here because, well, to me, an audio drama is still a series.
Anywho, still at episode one, and I see the appeal. I hope I catch up soon. 44 episodes to-day.
I do hope it doesn't get more creepy than it currently is though, because it does border my threshold.

I wish audio dramas where more common. I am a radio-listening person as it is already established. And I recently realised that long-format radio programmes are great for when you are playing Minecraft.

There's this on our state radio, which is basically extremely basic whodunit stories set in England, so I won't be suprised if they translated some 60s BBC radio stories.

If anyone knows of more web-original audio dramas, please mention them.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Cypriot Greek (el-cy) | ○Standard Modern Greek of Greece (el)Assorted Englishes (en) | ↓France French (fr) | ⊖Police Procedural J-Drama Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr) | ↑German Standard German (de)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-04-01, 11:27

Does it have to be web original? Because there are lots of them from Big Finish and AudioGO, not only BBC productions. Audio dramas were very popular when I was a kid, so there are lots of German ones, but obviously aimed at kids. Are you interested in that as well or does it have to be for an older age group?
Please correct my mistakes!

md0

Postby md0 » 2014-04-01, 18:47

Yeah, I know about BigFinnish, I've listened to quite a few. I've been meaning to get into Blake 7 at some point.

I'm just looking for free stuff now, because well, I'm not doing very impressive in the money department now. And probably something without a very large canon yet (Night Vale seems to be only two years old for example)

So, that's the criteria.

An extra thing: I'm curious to listen to fancy narrative styles. Like Night Vale, where the story is in the format of a 'community radio news bulletin'.
Cypriot Greek (el-cy) | ○Standard Modern Greek of Greece (el)Assorted Englishes (en) | ↓France French (fr) | ⊖Police Procedural J-Drama Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr) | ↑German Standard German (de)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-04-02, 16:09

I see. Have you had a look at sources like LibriVox, http://podiobooks.com/ or archive.org? I know those are for audio books, but maybe they have audio dramas as well. There's another source as well, but I can't find the URL any more.

BigFinish regularly has dramas on offer, as you probably already know.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2014-05-15, 13:09

Has anyone else watched Hit and Miss?

It started airing here and it seems quite watchable. Cloë Sevigny plays a transgender woman who is a hitman and finds out that she has a son. She moves in with the children of the mother of her son because the mother passed away. All kinds of relationship drama ensues (it's not a comedy, though, not at all).

I like the sort of gloomy and gritty atmospere of it. And at least so far I've really enjoyed Mia, the main character. She's a woman, she likes her dresses and pretty things, but there's also something more stereotypically male about her. Her profession and physical strength kind of gives her a self confidence that is unusual. And there's something in the way that Sevigny does with the character's body language. It feels like this is not a woman who grew up with a woman's typical idea of personal space: an accomodating and unintrusive body language. Mia asserts her personal space with the effortlessness and obviousness of a man. I bet if she sat in a metro, she would lavaball without batting an eye, if she felt like it, and she'd do it while looking glamorous in a dress. :D
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-05-15, 17:58

Since my cold is gone and the SVOD service I'm currently subscribed to started offering it again, I started watching The Sopranos, but I found it hard to finish the first episode. Admittedly, I didn't understand everything (no subs available), but does it get a lot better after that or is it just not for me?

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2014-06-12, 12:40

Varislintu wrote:Has anyone else watched Hit and Miss?

Well, it reached the end and I was left with mixed feelings. On one hand, the themes were a refreshingly whimsical mix. English countryside, transgender identity, being a hitman, being a parent, some kind of female empowerment fantasies, tolerance... I mean, cool. But on the other hand, sometimes the script felt really lazy. I hate that. There was this middle aged man character, and they couldn't have made him any more anti-woman. Really he was like a combination of all possible bad characteristics a man can have. Boooring. And then the other man character was like his polar opposite in many ways. Healthy, good looking, coaches a football team for the mentally challenged, tolerant. At least he had been given a few chinks to his perfection. But still, the series sometimes left the feeling of spoonfeeding the audience. Or like an instructional video on good and bad, using unhelpfully unrealistic charicatures of both. Good and evil in real life is never so easy to categorise, after all.

It felt like there will be a second season. I'd be glad if there was, cause I have always had a bit of a girlcrush on Cloë Sevigny. :P I even sometimes watched Big Love because of her, even if I can't really stand the series (the endless unsolvable personal drama wears me out).
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Marah

Postby Marah » 2014-06-12, 13:01

Car wrote:Since my cold is gone and the SVOD service I'm currently subscribed to started offering it again, I started watching The Sopranos, but I found it hard to finish the first episode. Admittedly, I didn't understand everything (no subs available), but does it get a lot better after that or is it just not for me?

I found it hard to finish the first episode too. In fact, it was so boring that I took a break from it for a while but then it really gets better. And it's my favorite series of all times now.
Having said that, it's true that The Sopranos is usually kind of "slow", there isn't a lot of action, it's all in the atmosphere, the characters and their psychology, etc...
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-06-12, 13:24

Marah wrote:I found it hard to finish the first episode too. In fact, it was so boring that I took a break from it for a while but then it really gets better. And it's my favorite series of all times now.
Having said that, it's true that The Sopranos is usually kind of "slow", there isn't a lot of action, it's all in the atmosphere, the characters and their psychology, etc...

Thanks. Maybe I'll get back to it, but not any time soon (World Cup, end of my subscription, unclear future of the service).

bath&body

Postby bath&body » 2014-06-17, 5:08

I want to watch the 24: Live another day (Jack Bauer). Do you guys know any link? Please.... :(

bath&body

Postby bath&body » 2014-06-17, 5:11

Guys anyone here knows the link or website of 24:Live another day (Jack Bauer) please....? :(

md0

Postby md0 » 2014-09-30, 16:16

I managed to catch up with Doctor Who Series 8, and oh my god, I'm loving it :D
I've been getting disappointed with Series 6 and most of Series 7, but late in Series 7 it began getting good again. And Capaldi just makes it even better.
A fellow Whovian here noted that Series 8 is quite 9th-doctor-ish and maybe that's why I like it so much.
Time Heist and Caretaker are the best episodes we've seen in quite a few years. Listen was also an engaging episode. The Robin Hood one was pure crap though.

Anyway, Series 8 so far: meidei's seal of approval.

md0

Postby md0 » 2014-10-27, 17:17

I'm trying to keep myself preoccupied with something because I'm slipping into craziness again, and so far I have caught up with Doctor Who again, and started binge-watching Legend of Korra Book 3.

So, Doctor Who.

Mummy on the Orient Express was pretty good. I liked how I found myself shouting "it's an oscillator!" to the screen. Nice to seem some electronics theory used in the show.

Flatline was amazing. I hope the original character in that shows for more stories, although last few times I wished for that, it turned sour (Weeping Angels, and the new Silurians).

The most recent one, with the forest... Was that a Red Nose Day special? I didn't really like it. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't up to the standards of the previous, dunno, 6 episodes? It's been a really good streak that we haven't had in Doctor Who since Series 4, five years ago.

And Legend of Korra Three. I enjoyed One, but I was very disappointed by Two. Now I'm at episode 8 of Book Three and it certainly took a turn for the better again. But what it's clear is that LoK has a lot of trouble handling anti-authoritarian themes. They are being a bit more mature about it than they have been with 'Equalism' in Book One, but still, this trope is getting tiring.

md0

Postby md0 » 2014-10-28, 9:49

Finished Book 3 and watched the first episode of Book 4.
For all its shortcomings when it comes to anti-authoritarian themes, LoK is creepily realistic when it comes to portraying psychological trauma. They've been like that since Book 1 in fact.
I hope there's expert analysis on whether it is beneficial for a show with a primary teenage demographic to portray trauma so realistically (compared to similar shows that might only touch it for a single scene, or even more often, completely ignore that the characters should feel things).
I think I'm in favour, even though some scenes hit close to home (especially that one in Book 1's finale).

kibo

Postby kibo » 2014-10-28, 18:09

How To Get Away With Murder. The show is very good, especially...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTFmSur_O0E

Ok, I'm in love :<3:
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2014-10-28, 22:18

kibo wrote:How To Get Away With Murder. The show is very good, especially...

It's kind of curious how they made this fit to the standard "normal TV sex scene", with only one person at the time being showed naked from the waist up...
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2014-10-28, 22:55

Johanna wrote:

It's kind of curious how they made this fit to the standard "normal TV sex scene", with only one person at the time being showed naked from the waist up...

That's not what I was thinking about while watching it. :whistle:
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2014-10-30, 21:51

Lowena wrote:
Johanna wrote:

That's not what I was thinking about while watching it. :whistle:

I am asexual after all ;)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

deboertravel

Postby deboertravel » 2014-11-02, 15:05

I like to watch Breaking Bad, 24, the Black List and Homeland.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-01-08, 5:19

First episode of American Horror Story: Freak Show I've seen and I'm hooked. It had a short sex scene which I didn't like too much, but whatever.

[flag=]it[/flag] La prima puntata di […] che ho guardato e sono in fissa con le serie. C'è stato una scena breve del sesso che non mi è piaciuto così molto, ma vabbé.

Return to “Culture”