Series on TV or the Internet

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Osias
Re: Series on TV or the Internet

Postby Osias » 2019-11-19, 16:04

She-ra 4th season in French.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Versus

Postby Versus » 2019-12-11, 21:39

I started to watch "Mandalorian" because I'm a big fan of Star Wars. Maybe I'm expected something else, but I'm not thrilled with the story that looks like SF western.

md0

Postby md0 » 2020-05-09, 9:36

I got a recommendation for a Thai TV series which is supposedly a 'very cute' gay romance. Moving past the terrible acting, the first episode consisted of a straight fuckboi being hit on by a femme gay guy who will not take no for an answer, and the fuckboi's attempts to intimidate the gay guy by trying (and failing) to have him beaten up. The episode ends with the fuckboi deciding to get another guy to fake being his boyfriend so that the femme guy will leave him alone (and eventually falling for him for real).

I didn't see anything cute or romantic into this, and all the gay in it was there to be mocked and threatened with violence. I really worry about the type of queer person who relies on a series like this one to model relationships off of.

The series is called '2gether'.
Last edited by md0 on 2020-05-09, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2020-05-09, 13:43

md0 wrote:I got a recommendation for a Thai TV series which is supposedly a 'very cute' gay romance. Moving past the terrible acting, the first episode consisted of a straight fuckboi being hit by a femme gay guy who will not take now for an answer, and the fuckboi's attempts to intimidate the gay guy by trying (and failing) to have him beaten up. The episode ends with the fuckboi deciding to get another guy to fake being his boyfriend so that the femme guy will leave him alone (and eventually falling for him for real).

... what.
How do people even come up with such ridiculous ideas?

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-27, 14:40

Varislintu wrote:It's annoying, I've developed this thing where upon seeing the Netflix logo on the TV-screen, I read it as Neteflix, think of Weetabix, and furthermore hear it said in my head as if it's a Norwegian word.
On that note I wish they wouldn't dub shows. I guess all the Norwegian series are dubbed and I can't figure out why

For a long time I assumed only Russians dubbed films, but apparently everybody does it now. I won't watch dubbed things :lol: :hmm: The reason I watch is to hear their voices
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-05-27, 16:26

Gormur wrote:For a long time I assumed only Russians dubbed films, but apparently everybody does it now.

It varies greatly by country. For instance, Germany regularly dubs, but Nordic countries don't. In the USA, it's common to dub animated films but to show live-action films subtitled--unless they appear to have broad commercial appeal, in which case they will be remade with USAmerican casts. In any case, it's hardly a recent development; films have been dubbed for as long as there have been films.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-27, 17:16

Yeah I've watched Disney films dubbed in Norwegian and one in Icelandic, but no; anime and such aren't dubbed they're just subtitled. I've even seen Icelandic cartoons subtitled because it's English dialogue

Maybe they couldn't find anyone to do voice-over. I don't mind dubbing in that case though since everything seems to sync up

Watching a live dubbed film is like watching the original Godzilla movies. I just can't do it. I think it's mainly because I can't even follow what's going on :hmm:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

awrui

Postby awrui » 2020-05-27, 23:48

When they don't dub it's usually because there is no money to do so... But lately there have come some japanese cartoons with Norwegian dub.

I hate watching movies in languages I don't understand, it destroys the experience. They are made for an audience that has that language as first language, so why should I read subtitles like an animal instead of having a first language experience?
I also hate 'murican remakes. They are so unispired and just exploiting what others have been working for hard. And then people only know the remake, not the original. One of my favourites is Les Revenantes (or however it's written), but all you can find online is that terrible remake. It's even worse when they remake something that's already in English, like Broadchurch.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2020-06-22, 10:54

I am watching Snowpiercer in English. I think it's based on a book.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-06-22, 18:05

awrui wrote:why should I read subtitles like an animal

:hmm:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2020-06-23, 19:37

Reading subtitles can be distracting...

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-06-27, 18:26

I have an account with NRK on nrk.no, the Norwegian network for all kinds of TV shows. Actually, to register you need a social ID number from Norway. I made up a number and it worked but then in 2013 in stopped working and the message said signals were available only within Norway

Since then I barely watch TV because I'm quite cynical toward foreign TV which is everything outside of what I'm used to, but come on. They even took away that stöð 2 channel that used to stream all day in Iceland. Now it says the same thing, that it only shows in Iceland

Damn fascists :hmm: :)

liljorna

Postby liljorna » 2020-07-28, 9:38

my all-time favorite tv show is buffy the vampire slayer. i've seen it many times, i've studied it. :D but there are a lot of tv shows i like, for example the big bang theory (funny), bones (learned a lot while watching it), friends (classic), gilmore girls (great dialogue), how i met your mother or the simpsons...
interested in: (it)(us)(c1-c2), (sv) (b1-b2), (no) (a1-a2) (fi)(nl) (a0-a1)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-07-28, 12:23

Finished the new She-Ra. SPOILER: She-ra kisses another girl in the finale.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-07-28, 14:22

OldBoring wrote:Reading subtitles can be distracting...

I always put on subtitles, even when I'm watching Dutch television. It's just way more relaxed if you can read it all together in stead of listening to what they're saying.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

liljorna

Postby liljorna » 2020-07-28, 15:51

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:

I always put on subtitles, even when I'm watching Dutch television. It's just way more relaxed if you can read it all together in stead of listening to what they're saying.

same here! i always thought i was the only one... it really annoys the people around me. i like it because with subtitles i don't have to turn up the volume even when i do noisy activities like eating. :D and sometimes the subtitles contain funny mistakes.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-07-28, 19:39

liljorna wrote:

same here! i always thought i was the only one... it really annoys the people around me. i like it because with subtitles i don't have to turn up the volume even when i do noisy activities like eating. :D and sometimes the subtitles contain funny mistakes.

Luckily my wife likes it too :wink: And yes, without subtitles you need to turn up the volume and I don't like doing that because then I'm afraid I won't hear it if one of the children wakes up.

But in the Netherlands nothing is dubbed, subtitles for English programmes are normal here.

Corrections appreciated.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-07-30, 1:58

Oh, I figured it out on how to switch language preferences. There's a Russian film I'd watch but it's only available in the dubbed version, so I guess it'd be better to say it's unavailable to watch :|

Bloodride (2020) is a Netflix series from Norway. It's only six episodes though. I don't see anything else Norwegian on here. I think their (Netflix) content varies by country

liljorna

Postby liljorna » 2020-07-30, 10:26

But in the Netherlands nothing is dubbed, subtitles for English programmes are normal here.

you're lucky. in germany everything is dubbed :(, so i rarely watch foreign movies or shows on tv.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-07-30, 11:11

liljorna wrote:

you're lucky. in germany everything is dubbed :(, so i rarely watch foreign movies or shows on tv.

Yes, I do realise I'm very lucky!

If anyone of you would like to watch a Dutch series, Oogappels is really good (and it plays in the town where I live :)).

Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Culture”