Series on TV or the Internet

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Series on TV or the Internet

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-02-02, 17:25

My British co-worker claims Peep Show is an accurate representation of the British psyche or something.

topazann

Postby topazann » 2021-05-14, 9:27

I’m currently watching Crash Landing on You, which is a romantic comedy (with a hefty dose of drama). It’s definitely soapy so I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone, but if you’re into Korean dramas it’s worth watching.

md0

Postby md0 » 2022-03-19, 21:39

I am almost two decades late, but I just watched the first season of Veronica Mars. It was mentioned in a podcast and seemed interesting enough.
Back then I think I was too occupied with Doctor Who and this show escaped my attention. I think I would unambiguously loved it if I watched it back in 2004. Watching it in 2022 was quite the experience though.

Still enjoyable, some amazing characters (whether you love them or hate them), and -as it becomes relevant in later episodes- a mostly accurate use of technobabble for the early 00s. I'll keep watching.

On the other hand, there so much values dissonance, as the good wiki would call it. To pick a value that doesn't give any plot points away -in case someone is also only discovering the show now- the total lack of acknowledgement of privacy as a right is staggering. Veronica wouldn't be nearly as sympathetic if this show was set any time in the last six or seven years.

For another thing... The mysteries are rarely fairplay. As someone who watched almost 600 episodes of Detective Conan in a different life, this was frustrating at times.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-03-21, 15:08

I saw Veronica Mars shortly after it came out (a friend burned all the episodes onto DVD for me) and really loved it. I wanted to love the reboot but I was frustrated with the way they basically did a factory reset on the characters and never gave it a fair shake. If you end up watching it, I'll be interested in hearing your take.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

md0

Postby md0 » 2022-03-21, 16:00

Hm, I'm not sure I'll go for the reboot. My flatmate who watched it told me it's terrible, and having had the experience of the final season of Torchwood, I'm reluctant to take that risk, but we'll see.

I'm actually now halfway in season 2 and I'm already struggling. The last episode I watched is the one where (MAJOR spoiler) it's revealed that Veronica and Duncan conspired to kidnap and smuggle Meg's and Duncan's child out of the country. I don't think there were clues in previous episodes that justify this twist, it's like there's an episode or two missing, I even went back to the episode list to make sure I didn't skip one by accident. And it also really turned Veronica into a villain for me - even for the unrealistic levels of corruption in Neptune, this situation could be resolved by Child Protection Services without the need for the conspiracy, so her doing this makes no sense.
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2022-03-21, 21:23

I have watched "Midnight at the Pera Palace", in Turkish with English subtitles.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-03-21, 23:57

topazann wrote:I’m currently watching Crash Landing on You, which is a romantic comedy (with a hefty dose of drama). It’s definitely soapy so I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone, but if you’re into Korean dramas it’s worth watching.

I've been recommending that for people that are not into doramas these last years.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-03-23, 17:24

I've been watching Corey Gil-Shuster a lot lately. I thought someone besides me had brought it up on UniLang before, but apparently not!

Antea

Postby Antea » 2022-03-23, 17:56

vijayjohn wrote:I've been watching Corey Gil-Shuster a lot lately. I thought someone besides me had brought it up on UniLang before, but apparently not!

I also watch his programs, because it's very good for practising the listening in Arabic and Hebrew.

md0

Postby md0 » 2022-03-25, 21:26

linguoboy wrote:I saw Veronica Mars shortly after it came out (a friend burned all the episodes onto DVD for me) and really loved it. I wanted to love the reboot but I was frustrated with the way they basically did a factory reset on the characters and never gave it a fair shake. If you end up watching it, I'll be interested in hearing your take.

I finished Season 2 now and I'm seething, so I'd like to get the POV of someone who watched this at the time and who's more familiar with the cultural context. Was it fair for its time, or was the big mystery of Season 2 outright homophobic and consistently handling rape as backstory in the most disgusting way possible - in addition to being a huge retcon like the Season 1 finale?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-03-26, 1:36

Antea wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I've been watching Corey Gil-Shuster a lot lately. I thought someone besides me had brought it up on UniLang before, but apparently not!

I also watch his programs, because it's very good for practising the listening in Arabic and Hebrew.

I think people generally find it better for Hebrew than for Arabic since he doesn't actually speak Arabic, so a lot of the Arabic in those videos is mumbled, plus I think he himself said there is more traffic in Gaza(?), which also makes it harder to hear what people are saying. I actually haven't found it all that helpful for learning either language, to be honest; I just find his videos intriguing somehow. That being said, I myself also like at least trying to listen to both in his videos.

md0

Postby md0 » 2022-06-12, 10:16

I watched around 85% of the first episode of Our Flag Means Death after it was heavily recommended by two friends.
I don't remember watching anything worse in recent times. Zero of the jokes landed and most of them were homophobic to begin with.

Yet somehow, this apparently has a massive queer fanbase - including the two friends who recommended this to me.

lu:ka

Postby lu:ka » 2022-10-26, 8:51

I am watching the second season of The Purge on Prime Video, and planning to watch the second season of El internado: Las Cumbres.

The only real problem is that I usually watch 3 to 5 episodes per day (or better night), so in two or three days I end the season LOL

~~~~
Sē þrōwend is ǣtren and slihþ mid þām tæġle tō dēaðe.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2022-10-26, 20:11

I've watched "Die Kaiserin" (in German) and "Révolution" (in French), both on Netflix.

Postby lu:ka » 2023-01-17, 7:34

I am currently watching "Vikings: Valhalla". I didn't know it is a spin-off of "Vikings", which I haven't watched yet.

I plan to watch it, though, 'cause I have been watching "The last Kingdom" which is set in the same period and I al curious to see which events/charachters are matching and which not.

~~~~
Sē þrōwend is ǣtren and slihþ mid þām tæġle tō dēaðe.

md0

Postby md0 » 2023-07-08, 15:09

It's a Sin came to ZDF, thankfully with the original dialogue in the second audio channel.

I was aware of the series for a long time, but it was never available somewhere I could watch it before. The first episode was as heartbreaking, as I got attached to Neil Patrick Harris' character way too soon.

I'm not quite sure why I needed to show my passport to get access to the first episode on ZDF's website by the way, the age rating seems higher than warranted :hmm:
Off Topic
And how do they verify the validity of the information anyway, does the TV station have access to foreign population registry databases?

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2023-07-08, 20:46

On the Flemish public tv's website it's 16+, and it checks your age on the basis of the date of birth you entered on your profile, but it doesn't check that in any way and you can just enter whatever date you want. I'd find requiring to see actual proof of identity (/date of birth) to be rather concerning with regards to privacy.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2023-07-09, 13:02

md0 wrote:I'm not quite sure why I needed to show my passport to get access to the first episode on ZDF's website by the way, the age rating seems higher than warranted :hmm:
Off Topic
And how do they verify the validity of the information anyway, does the TV station have access to foreign population registry databases?

That's explained on the site:
Das Alter wird bei der Abfrage der Ausweisnummer über einen Teil der Zahlenfolge der Nummer errechnet. Neben dem Geburtsdatum (z. B. bei neuen Personalausweisen im 2. Eingabefeld enthalten) wird bei der Eingabe der Ausweisnummer über die weiteren eingegebenen Nummern eine Prüfziffer zur Validierung der Gültigkeit der Ausweisnummer errechnet. Das bedeutet, dass beim Absenden der Altersprüfung einmalig die eingegebene Ausweis-Nummer auf das darin enthaltene Geburtsdatum und die Errechnung der Prüfziffer geprüft wird. Hierbei wird lediglich die Information, dass der Nutzer über 16 Jahre alt ist, am ZDF-Profil gespeichert. Darüber hinaus findet keinerlei Abgleich der Ausweisnummer mit Datenbanken oder eine Speicherung der Ausweisdaten statt.

Source

A German forum I'm a member of requires you to send a photo of your ID card to gain access to the 18+ part of the flee market forum. They tell you to make certain parts unreadable on the photo, though. Online shops also either want copies of your ID card or have other systems to verify your age.
Please correct my mistakes!

md0

Postby md0 » 2023-07-09, 13:42

So, in effect, they just verify if one knows how to create a valid check-digit - it doesn't have to be an actually existing passport, but only a plausible one. There's at least one Python module hosted on GitHub that claims to be able to generate such strings based on user-defined data.

I guess it's innocent enough, but I'm just always mildly annoyed when organisations spend resources just to appear secure. At the end of the day, that's no more secure than the Flemish broadcaster's click-through form that Aurinĭa mentioned. It just adds some extra steps.

md0

Postby md0 » 2024-01-27, 10:26

Last night, I finished watching Glamorous on Netflix. I went into the show very reluctantly because the theme (beauty industry, social media) and the target age group are very far from my experiences. A couple of episodes in though, I became hooked. The character drama and the corporate procedural really did it for me. Can't say anything more without spoilers of course.

There was only one point where the series lost me: it's one-sidedly positive depiction of party drugs in one specific scene. I'm still a product of time and place. I might be against criminalisation and for people's right to make informed decisions about their own consumption, but I'm still not on-board with celebrating it. There's a good chance I'll never be.

Return to “Culture”