Series on TV or the Internet

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Osias
Re: Series on TV or the Internet

Postby Osias » 2019-08-02, 0:38

2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-03, 3:16

I watched the first three seasons of an old British TV comedy called Mind Your Language and one episode from the fourth season; no other episodes are publicly available as far as I know. Then I also started watching The Thin Blue Line (another British TV comedy, albeit much newer than the other one) but stopped, I guess because I felt like I didn't really have the time to waste on it. :P

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-08-04, 23:28

I'm finishing Good Omens. It's very good.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-08, 22:12

“Beecham House” in English.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-15, 20:31

I've been watching the Syrian Lebanese series بدون قيد on and off lately. Typically, I watch one story (about nine episodes of 3-4 minutes each) before going to sleep. It's kind of a troubling series about the Syrian Civil War, so maybe that's not such a great idea... :dimwit: (EDIT: just to be clear, I mean the timing of when I watch it, not the fact that I'm watching it!).
Osias wrote:I'm finishing Good Omens. It's very good.

I guess it's a good omen if Good Omens is good. :silly:
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2019-08-16, 7:15, edited 1 time in total.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-08-15, 22:45

Actually yes. It's a good omen signaling the upcoming Sandman series will be good.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-16, 17:06

I finished watching بدون قيد and cried in bed because I feel so bad for the colonel. :cry:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-17, 11:49

I am watching the series Frontera Verde. They mostly speak in Spanish and a little bit of Portuguese, as the action is set in the border between Colombia and Brazil.

But they also speak a lot in an indigenous native language language called Witoto or Huitoto or Uitoto in Spanish. I have looked for some information on internet but I haven’t found much. Did you knew about that language? :hmm:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-08-17, 17:02

I've finished this week The Boys on Amazon Prime. It's liquid Garth Ennis. (meaning have the goriest violence I've seen on a live action series, the most violent sex, religion is very evil, the world is very dystopian, etc)

It'll be hard to see any other superhero series after that, to take them seriously.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-17, 21:17

Was it harder than Game of Thrones? :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-17, 21:28

Antea wrote:But they also speak a lot in an indigenous native language language called Witoto or Huitoto or Uitoto in Spanish. I have looked for some information on the internet but I haven’t found much. Did you knew know about that language? :hmm:

(Also I'd just say "indigenous language").

Yes, but as far as I can tell, the Witoto live in the Colombian Andes on or near the border with Peru, not in the Colombian Amazon on (or near) the border with Brazil. :hmm: Those borders are pretty close to each other, though. One of the professors I had in grad school works on a completely unrelated language that really is spoken on the border between Colombia and Brazil.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-08-17, 22:20

Antea wrote:Was it harder than Game of Thrones? :hmm:

For me, yes. Maybe because we become desensitized by Game of Thrones violence and already saw the episodes expecting much. Maybe because in a modern day setting things feel more real and impact us more. Maybe because it's the exaggerated flavor of Garth Ennis violence. Maybe because of superpowers and modern day technology: In GoT you wouldn't see bodys exploding from inside (inside out?) by bombs.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-17, 22:37

I don’t know, I just couldn’t follow Game of Thrones after some episodes, precisely because the violence in that series (physical and psychological) was too much for me. So I was just wondering if it could be worse :hmm:

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-08-17, 23:19

You probably don't watch Tarantino also.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-18, 0:00

I watched Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction and I was fine with them.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-19, 22:47

Just for adding that in the Green Frontier series, besides Spanish, some Portuguese and Witoto, they also speak Ticuna or Tikuna, another Amazonian language. By the way, don’t we have an Amazonian language thread? In which section they are? :hmm: In Central and South American?

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-08-19, 23:52

Antea wrote:Just for adding that in the Green Frontier series, besides Spanish, some Portuguese and Witoto, they also speak Ticuna or Tikuna, another Amazonian language. By the way, don’t we have an Amazonian language thread? In which section they are? :hmm: In Central and South American?

I don't think there is a thread yet, but if there isn't, the Central and South American section would be the right place to start one! :wink:
You are making me want to watch Frontera Verde, but you are watching it on Netflix, right? And I don't have Netflix. :(
By the way, some resources:

Huitoto:
Diccionario Huitoto Murui (Murui variety of Huitoto)
Diccionario hablado de uitoto (only 20 words! but it does have audio files for them).

And for Ticuna:
Diccionario ticuna-castellano
Conversational Ticuna
Vocabulario Ticuna
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-20, 19:06

Linguaphile wrote:
Antea wrote:I don't think there is a thread yet, but if there isn't, the Central and South American section would be the right place to start one! :wink:
You are making me want to watch Frontera Verde, but you are watching it on Netflix, right? And I don't have Netflix. :(
By the way, some resources:

Thanks :D Yes, maybe it will be interesting to create a new thread about them.

And, yes, it’s a mini-series from Netflix, 8 episodes.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-20, 20:07

Indeed, there is no such thread, but that would be the right forum for it, and there are a few threads about specific Amazonian languages (specifically, two threads each for Tupi and Piraha and a personal thread for Guarani, if that counts).

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-11-19, 8:13

I am watching Marco Polo series in English.

Return to “Culture”