Series on TV or the Internet

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Meera
Re: Series on TV or the Internet

Postby Meera » 2017-10-07, 15:54

I just finished watching The Handmaid's Tale, this show scared the living crap out of me. I rarely get emotional in shows but some of the things in this show were so awful and it didn't seem that far fetched. Their government honestly reminded me of the Talibs in Afgh.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2017-10-07, 21:14

I'm still on episode 3 of that, I'm liking it a lot, but focusing on Trek shows this month because I have much more people to talk about them right now.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2017-10-09, 1:45

I also started watching House of Cards, Frank Underwood really sucks.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-10-25, 20:42

I watched the first three episodes of The Handmaid's Tale. Wow, that is some disturbing shit.

But the series is actually really well done, so I can say I'm enjoying it so far. I might try reading the book after I finish watching the show.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-03-20, 10:28

Luís wrote:I finally finished watching the second season of "Mr Robot" and I have to say it was even better than the first one. Highly recommend it.

Just finished watching season 3. This show gets better with each season, looking forward to the next one! :)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-07-15, 15:04

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD

The Handmaid's Tale... ugh, I have to say that the last 3 episodes were quite disappointing IMO. Especially the last one; it had too many deus ex machinas, the main two being:

-Serena Joy and all the wives suddenly kind of realizing that Gilead is shite for women, so much so that Serena even gives up "her" baby.
-The same Martha who was afraid to deliver a bunch of letters to Mayday is now part of a network that helps June escape.

---

Another thing that really made me roll my eyes throughout this season is how quick this regime (that is concerned about population decline and low fertility rates) is to execute its citizens. This was particularly jarring in Eden's case, she was a young woman (therefore a precious resource in her own right) and moreover, for all we know, she could've been in perfect reproductive health, yet nobody seemed to care about that.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-07-15, 19:35

Ooooh a fellow fan of Handmaid's tale!
Just saw final episode of Season 2 :para: :shock: Heeeeeey she's had an occasion to leave...
(sorry for spoiler)
What I cannot really understand is why Mexico and Canada do not do anything to get rid of Gilead - they are perfectly aware of what's happening and do nothing! :|
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-07-15, 20:11

france-eesti wrote:Ooooh a fellow fan of Handmaid's tale!

Yeah, I would say it's my second favorite tv series after Utopia (which was canceled :'( but I digress...)

Just saw final episode of Season 2 :para: :shock: Heeeeeey she's had an occasion to leave...
(sorry for spoiler)

That was probably the thing I can understand more about that episode. She doesn't want to leave Hannah in Gilead and God knows what Commander Waterford could've done to Hannah if he had found out that June made it to Canada.

What I cannot really understand is why Mexico and Canada do not do anything to get rid of Gilead - they are perfectly aware of what's happening and do nothing! :|

I guess for the same reason the world does nothing about North Korea and Saudi Arabia. :lol: Moreover keep in mind that Gilead is the US (or at least a good chunk of it), hence the biggest army in the world and the largest nuclear arsenal... (even though we don't know to what extent it's still functioning in the world of the tv series).

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-07-16, 12:12

You're right, of course, but as we're not in the real world I thought they could try to do something about it - as you mentionned it, they don't care if they're unrealistic. Else why did they make that scene with the Mexican ambassy and everything?

Still, I'm kind of sad June gives him her second little girl - and I cannot help wondering what she's gonna do now...

Also, I couldn't make an opinion about Joseph, who was Emily's commander... Does he use to welcome handmaids to deliver them? And has aunt Lydia died? :para:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-16, 14:19

france-eesti wrote:What I cannot really understand is why Mexico and Canada do not do anything to get rid of Gilead - they are perfectly aware of what's happening and do nothing! :|

Because that would end the whole show?

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2018-07-16, 21:17

Because in real life awful shit happens all the time and nobody does anything about it for all sorts of reasons ("not our business", "our nation first", "cultural imperialism", whatever).
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-07-16, 21:36

I finished reading Transmetropolitan, then, wanderlusting for a series based on that, I decided to watch Preacher.

Yes, I know.

But it seems Netflix has removed it from its catalog, and my HDMI cable is not working anymore so I can watch on other service that doesn't provide an app for my TV.

Anyway, I tried to read a little about the series without much spoilers. I liked the comic book second ark, about a serial killer, and was wondering if that would be in the TV series first season or if they expanded the first ark to fill the whole season.

Then I read they expanded the first edition to fill the whole season. WTF.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-07-18, 10:43

france-eesti wrote:Also, I couldn't make an opinion about Joseph, who was Emily's commander... Does he use to welcome handmaids to deliver them? And has aunt Lydia died? :para:

Yeah, I don't know what to think either, to me Commander Joseph looked like one more deus ex machina in a way... I mean, it looks like they wanted to redeem Emily, so voilà here's this hipsterish weirdo of a commander for you, Emily.

I hope Aunt Lydia is not dead because she's probably the most interesting character in the whole series IMO. It's always interesting to see her be torn between the love (wicked though it may be) she has for the handmaids and her loyalty to Gilead. I actually think it's a pity we didn't get to see Aunt Lydia's backstory. More in general, I wish they had spent more time for the backstories of the characters who are complicit in the regime (I'm mainly thinking about Aunt Lydia and Nick). It would've been really interesting to see how people get trapped in such horrendous ideologies, but no, apparently Moira's surrogate pregnancy was more noteworthy.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-07-18, 16:41

You're right! I never thought about Aunt Lydia's "past" when she was just a civil... Maybe in the future if she is maintained or something... I haven't seen the casting of season 3 :)
Moira's case and childbirth was a necessity indeed to justify the fact she was made a handmaid... Given the fact she's a lesbian we could have wondered how she got a child...
Anyway I can't wait for season 3 and hope it'll be a little more "muscly" than season 2 :silly:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-09-17, 8:21

I just finished watching season 2 this weekend. I really enjoyed the first season, but this one was a bit of a let down... it feels as if they're unnecessarily dragging the story.She escapes and a few episodes later gets caught. After a while she escapes again and gets caught yet another time. Finally, she escapes and later on decides not to escape. WTF?

Aleksey

Postby Aleksey » 2019-04-07, 17:06

Being Human. ( Both UK and American). :lmao:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-05-05, 17:46

I just realized I never mentioned a certain Khmer TV series called រ​ល​កស៓ឡេង (AIrwaves) in this thread. I tried watching it years ago when I was supposed to be working on starting a company with my dad, so he got mad and I stopped at once. I'm kind of worried I'll never finish seeing it. :P It's hard to remember where exactly I left off since it's been so long.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-01, 23:20

I have watched the first season of "Al Hayba" in levantine Arabic.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-08-02, 0:18

I'm trying to finish Evangelion in French.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-02, 0:30

Osias wrote:I'm trying to finish Evangelion in French.

Is it also called “Greenleaf” in English? I don’t know if it’s the same series :hmm:

Return to “Culture”