Series on TV or the Internet

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

loqu
Series on TV or the Internet

Postby loqu » 2008-10-23, 10:11

Hi!!!

I've searched the forum and have found there is no thread to talk about TV series.

Which series do you watch regularly? Which ones do you like? Which ones are popular in your country?

For example, I'd say the most popular -international- TV series in my country is Friends. They have broadcast it thousands of times and it still gets a decent viewer rate. Among the 'new' ones, I'd say House MD is pretty popular.

My favourite TV series is on its 4th season now, it's called How I met your mother, from US-American CBS. Does someone watch it as well?
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Steisi

Re: Series on TV or the Internet

Postby Steisi » 2008-10-23, 10:28

I regularly watch the following series:

British:

Skins (my favourite, it's a British tv show recently shown in Finland)
Coronation street (a British soap, I've watched it since I can remember)
Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps (it ended but I love it and watch reruns).

American:

Friends (Seen them all a million times, don't care)
Simpsons (Ditto)
Desperate Housewives
House

Finnish:

Äijät - a show about two guys in the music industry who have a reputation for being 'hard' trying to do jobs that the 'real hard guys' do, like firefighting, coast guard etc etc
Olet mitä syöt - You are what you eat, in Finnish :D

I don't really watch many Finnish shows because a lot of tv is in English on the channel I watch. I recently started watching some reality show about hospitals, probably out of morbid fascination. Should stop that.. :D
Native: English
Fluent: Finnish
Want to resuscitate: German
Actively learning: Hebrew
Wishes she had time for: Northern Sámi
En usko humalaan.

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2008-10-23, 10:33

TV-series I've seen dozens of times and I still watch whenever I get the chance:
The Simpsons
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

That's about it.
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

loqu

Postby loqu » 2008-10-23, 10:44

I still watch the Simpsons when I can (weekends), but they don't make me laugh the way they used to. They are funny, anyway.

Also I used to watch regularly the British series The IT crowd, though after the 2nd season I haven't heard anymore of it. Hope they come back soon.

sa wulfs, the Fresh Prince? :lol: That's so 90's! But yes, he influenced a lot of young people back then.
Let people enjoy things.

Monsieur-Kiwi

Postby Monsieur-Kiwi » 2008-10-23, 10:46

Steisi wrote:I regularly watch the following series:

British:
Coronation street (a British soap, I've watched it since I can remember)

I love Coronation Street! When I was little I used to think it was just a show for old people because my nana and her friends watched it and would talk about it over their cups of tea but as I got older I really got into it and have been watching it for about two and a half years. :) I think here in New Zealand, we're about twelve months behind the UK, so I try not to read too much about it on the Internet to avoid spoilers. :P

A New Zealand show that I watch most nights is Shortland Street. It's a really addictive soap set in and around Shortland Street Hospital and there's always lots of drama going on. It's actually the highest rating New Zealand TV show. :)

There are also a lot of American TV shows here. For example, like loqu said happens in Spain, Friends is really popular here too and is played over and over again and people still continue to watch it. The same goes for The Simpsons. Quite a few other American shows are famous here too such as Desperate Housewives, Brothers & Sisters, Ghost Whisperer and Nip Tuck to name but a few. And yes, I am guilty of watching all of the above shows. :lol:

Smitty

Postby Smitty » 2008-10-23, 11:56

I tend to not watch that much TV nowadays, but I'm still quite partial to Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, The Simpsons, South Park and Top Gear. Dispatches as well, although that is a documentary host program.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-10-23, 12:40

Well here's my menu...

American
The Simpsons
Desperate Housewives
Heroes. (NOT that Peter Petrelli !! He's terrible !!)
30 Rock (Alec Baldwin :yiihi:)
Friends. But seriously it's a thing of the past and I'm quite sick of those reruns.
CSI: New York (only sometimes)
Drawn Together. It's canceled :evil:

British - those brilliant Brit comedies
The Catherine Tate's Show
Kelsey Grammer Presents: The Sketch Show
Little Britain. I have a mixed feeling on this; it's fun but sometimes just plain hurtful and insulting.

I'd like to experience some good British drama shows esp. Coronation Street but they're not available here. :doggy:
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2008-10-23, 13:02

I could never quite get into Friends. I tried and I tried, because it was so hip, but I never really ended up following it.

At the moment, I'm only following The Canadian show Little Mosque on the Prairie, and the reruns of Cracker (it's British). If I'm at home, I also watch America's Next Top Model :lol:.

Relatively recently, I've followed these:

British:
Cracker (crime)
Wire in the Blood (crime)
Silent Witness (crime)
Heartbeat (umm, soap? Dinner time slot :lol:)
The Agatha Christie movie series (Miss Marple, Poirot) (crime)

American:
E.R. (hospital drama)
Lost (fantasy drama, this one I really liked)
Galactica (sci-fi)
Survivor (reality; well, I've had my fill now and haven't followed the latest seasons)
Kid Nation (reality)
America's Next Top Model (reality)
Dr. Phil (studio psycology)
C.S.I. (I can only stand the original Las Vegas one, Miami is plastic and New York the most moralising show I've seen in a while) (crime)
Bones (crime)
Murder, She Wrote (crime)
Heroes (fantasy drama, probably won't continue following)

Finnish:
Uutisvuoto (current affairs comedy)
Hauskat kotivideot (funny homevids)

Canadian:
Little Mosque on the Prairie (sitcom)
Da Vinci's Inquest (crime; but tuned out of it lately)

EDIT: Oh, I want to mention the American Wire, too. It was really good, the first season, but I never saw the second because it came so late at night.

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2008-10-23, 13:06

I don't have a TV set, but I sometimes watch several series on DVD at my computer :) My favourite ones (which I have all seen more than once) are rather old ;)

- The Professionals (an English crime / action series from the late 70s / early 80s)
- The Sandbaggers (an English series about spies / secret service, also late 70s)
- Ørnen: En krimi-odyssé (a Danish crime series, just a few years old)
- Hamish MacBeth (a Scottish series about a policeman in a small Highland village, rather weird, late 90s or something)
- Robin of Sherwood ( :oops: a rather esoteric English Robin Hood series from the 80s)

I saw most of those first on TV when I was a child... As a teenager I also used to watch "X-files" and "Highlander" on TV :lol: Oh, and "Twin Peaks".

I have also tried to watch "Lost" on DVD because everyone kept recommending it to me, but it didn't really get to me. I suppose I would have enjoyed it at the time when I liked X-Files and Twin Peaks...

Another funny one that's just come to my mind is "Black Books". Hardly anyone seems to know it. The main actor is a rather famous Irish comedian, from what I've heard.
Writing poetry in: Scottish Gaelic, German, English.
Reading poetry in: Latin, Old Irish, French, Ancient Greek, Old Norse.
Talking to people in the shop in: Lithuanian, Norwegian, Irish Gaelic, Saami.
Listening to people talking in the shop in: Icelandic, Greenlandic, Finnish.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-10-23, 13:40

I acctualy don't wach TV that much latly, there seem to be some good series but I never know when (sadly I have stopped to wach Gray's anatomy because of this), so:

CSI (Las Vegas, I don't like its spin offs)
House MD (I find it a bit boring, but I kind of want to see what happens next and I like medical dramas)
Medicopter (I recently discovered that it has reruns late at night, but I also discovered that another chanell shows Without a Trace, perhaps I'll swich to that one)
Criminal Minds (also recently discovered, so far I have wached two episodes and haven't decided weather to watch regulary)

You acctualy like long running soap opera ? For me Bold & Beautiful is a classic example for this - I haven't wached it since they skipped few seasons (acctualy it was at least in part idea of my mother who used to work in TV back then - she was sure that it acctualy wouldn't make much difference as nothing really could have changed, but it could help to atract new viewers as people would want to check if something has changed), I wonder why the charecters aren't triple cheching their DNA to reveal if their relatives acctualy are their biological relatives, why they don't check their overall physical and mental health montly, why they don't chech legal status of everything they sign and why they don't treat their employees a bit more suspiciously - they really should know better by now.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2008-10-23, 14:12

I have the feeling I don't watch a lot of television a week, but I watch this:

Dutch
Het blok (four pairs try to renovate a building, each a floor, they can win a lot of money)
Per seconde wijzer (a quiz, and it is so not hip, they have the same concept for years and years and years, but it's nice)
Expeditie Robinson (on an island blabla, it's actually very boring)
Toren C (satirical)

I wanted to make an English and American section as well but I just realised that this is all I watch :P My mother always wants to see Midsummer Murders but I hate that :D
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-10-23, 14:16

Just remembered an old classic I've watched that I absolutely love;

British: Only Fools and Horses

Excellent :D The nation's favourite actor (David Jason) stars in it as Delboy.
En usko humalaan.

loqu

Postby loqu » 2008-10-23, 14:31

oh, my mother loves all those series about murders and hospitals. She watches regularly CSI (the three of them), Grey's Anatomy and Hospital Central (the Spanish version of ER).

Other series I have always loved is Caroline in the city. Anyone has ever seen it?

Oh, and the 3rd season of Ellen is great. The plot and my beloved Jeremy Piven. :D
Let people enjoy things.

jaybee

Postby jaybee » 2008-10-23, 14:34

It's safe to say that the popular TV shows here are the same popular international shows everywhere else. My favorite is House MD.
I also like Prison Break and Heroes (not like I used to, though)
Some other stuff I don't watch on a regular basis are 30 Rock, CSI, Bones, Monk, Frasier, Seinfeld.

Trapy

Postby Trapy » 2008-10-23, 14:38

BBC:
Dr. Who (FAVORITE)
Torchwood
Father Ted

FOX:
Family Guy
American Dad

History channel:
Lost Cities of the Underworld
<random WWII documentaries>
"and now every toilet will burn to ashes!""

Narbleh

Postby Narbleh » 2008-10-23, 16:04

The rare times I do watch TV...

Super Milk-chan
The Venture Brothers
Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job
Mythbusters
Robot Chicken
[flag=]en-us[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]eo[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag]Image

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-10-23, 16:22

Trapy wrote:Father Ted

I nearly died laughing when Mrs. Doyle fell over. Did you see it?
En usko humalaan.

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2008-10-23, 17:19

The only shows I watch with any kind of consistency are Scrubs, Futurama, and King of the Hill.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

Elanor

Postby Elanor » 2008-10-23, 18:11

I'm almost up to date with Lost, Prison Break, Heroes. I'm catching up with 24 and CSI:Las Vegas. And I deeply wish they hadn't cancelled Jericho.

Lada

Postby Lada » 2008-10-23, 18:50

I watch TV very seldom...where do you all have so much time for it? :roll:

When I was a teen-ager I used to watch soap operas/TV series, my favourite one was Quantam Leap, old American sci-fi series which were shown in Russia in 90s.

Then there was a great soap opera Dynasty, though the last serie was shown in US in 1989, in Russia it was shown in 90s as well :lol:

And of course brazilian and mexican soap-operas in 90s, everyone watched them, coz in USSR we didn't have any soap operas, it was so shick, so cool to watch them :roll: Now all Russian TV is full of Russian soap-operas, series etc., foreign ones are in decline.
I watch only comedy shows sometimes - Comedy club - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_Club_Russia

Return to “Culture”