Page 1 of 2

Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-05, 5:00
by suklaa
Well, I'm very, very sad because recently I got dumped by my "great love". :cry: It's very hard to move on. Thus, I want to learn some idioms in different cultures, also to cheer myself up.
For example, in Germany they say "Andere Mütter haben auch schöne Töchter".

Thank you!

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-05, 15:02
by Aefe
Hi !

In French we say "Une de perdue, dix de retrouvées", that is to say "one [girl] lost, ten found" :wink:

Good luck

Fred

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-05, 16:46
by darkina
There's a lot of fish in the ocean... :headbang:
(what if I want that particular fish... ;))

Morto un Papa, se ne fa un altro
(when a Pope dies, a new one is elected - although this is not only used for lovers, but I've been told this a few times recently)

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-05, 16:57
by Trapy
Well, I'll give you some of the ones I use with friends (which I do not think are very common in USA), which, are actually kind of depressing now that I'm thinking about it:

edit- ok I guess I used more of the "dont give false hope", rather empathize with the person, lol.

"Getting kicked in the teeth hurts, but you have to move on" . We use it to mean, yes, you're down (depressed), and it hurts alot, but sitting on the floor and crying isn't going to make it any better.

"feel slaughtered" to mean the feeling that someone has slashed your stomach open, navel to face MacBeth style. You feel empty inside, but realize that it is not permanent.

"use the rebound" to mean, while you're heart is broken, use that energy to go find another.

"learning experience" to mean, whatever went wrong, now you know, so you can make your next one better.

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-06, 8:52
by suklaa
Trapy wrote:"use the rebound" to mean, while you're heart is broken, use that energy to go find another.


I don't really think I would have the same energy like before to love that hard again since I put too much energy on him. At least that's how I feel now. :|

It's interesting to know these, thank you all! :)

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-24, 20:39
by gunilla
In Swedish there are also expressions like "if you loose one, there are still thousands left", but that is generally not to much help. Another one is "you have to kiss many frogs before you find a prince" ("man måste kyssa många grodor innan man hittar en prins"), of course refering to the fairytales of princes being turned into frogs by some witch, and who will only become princes again when being kissed.

I wish you all strenght! Your call to this forum shows that you clearly have the strenght to go further and do something constructive while you wait for the wounds to heal.

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-25, 17:51
by Martine
In Poland we say "Tego kwiatu jest pół światu" (it's half world with those flowers) and "umarł król, niech żyje król" (a king dies, viva king).
Cheer up, suklaa. Don't worry!

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-25, 22:29
by Levo
"You look like washed-shit, so it's time to get up from the floor." That's what we say. (not so common though)

Okay, Suklaa, be with your friends as much as you can, it is the best cure, believe me :wink:

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-26, 6:15
by loqu
Levo wrote:"You look like washed-shit, so it's time to get up from the floor."


oh, Hungarian always so... graphical :lol:

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-26, 21:36
by Mulder-21
In the Faroes, (some of us)/we use an old Danish saying:

Albuestød og kærestenød, de begge lige snart forsvinder = Elbowpain (when you hit your elbow into something) and heart-need (meaning heart-sorrow), they both equally quickly disappear :)

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-28, 1:40
by Strigo
darkina wrote:There's a lot of fish in the ocean... :headbang:
(what if I want that particular fish... ;))

Morto un Papa, se ne fa un altro
(when a Pope dies, a new one is elected - although this is not only used for lovers, but I've been told this a few times recently)


It reminds me of "A rey muerto, rey puesto" which means the same, but using kings, not Popes. :P

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-28, 23:13
by darkina
Strigo wrote:
darkina wrote:There's a lot of fish in the ocean... :headbang:
(what if I want that particular fish... ;))

Morto un Papa, se ne fa un altro
(when a Pope dies, a new one is elected - although this is not only used for lovers, but I've been told this a few times recently)


It reminds me of "A rey muerto, rey puesto" which means the same, but using kings, not Popes. :P


Indeed :P

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-29, 7:39
by suklaa
Thank you all, gunilla, artine and Levo! :D I feel really better since then, and yes, I was with my friends and we'll have dinner today. ^^ But hope they would not bring it up again, simply don't want to talk about it anymore.


gunilla wrote:Another one is "you have to kiss many frogs before you find a prince" ("man måste kyssa många grodor innan man hittar en prins"), of course refering to the fairytales of princes being turned into frogs by some witch, and who will only become princes again when being kissed.


This one is really good and kind of romantic. :D I love fairytales and I think this is so far one of my favourites. ^^

gunilla wrote:I wish you all strenght! Your call to this forum shows that you clearly have the strenght to go further and do something constructive while you wait for the wounds to heal.


You're right about it. :) Thank you!


Levo wrote:"You look like washed-shit, so it's time to get up from the floor." That's what we say. (not so common though)


This sounds really funny! :lol:

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-29, 7:43
by suklaa
Mulder-21 wrote:In the Faroes, (some of us)/we use an old Danish saying:

Albuestød og kærestenød, de begge lige snart forsvinder = Elbowpain (when you hit your elbow into something) and heart-need (meaning heart-sorrow), they both equally quickly disappear :)


Thanks! This one is interesting. :) I was wonderng how old it could be. : p

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-29, 21:36
by Trapy
So far Levo wins :mrgreen: . I might have to get back to Hungary just for some of that Hungarian Culture :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2008-09-30, 13:16
by Levo
Trapy wrote:So far Levo wins :mrgreen: . I might have to get back to Hungary just for some of that Hungarian Culture :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2016-07-03, 6:52
by idiomatic
Very interesting topic, love to read about these wonderful idioms.

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2016-07-28, 23:56
by Osias
"segue em frente que tem outros troféu" :)

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2016-07-29, 18:08
by Linguist
Osias wrote:"segue em frente que tem outros troféu" :)

Is this phrase mostly used in Brasil or also in Europe, too?

Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Posted: 2016-07-29, 18:39
by Osias
Linguist wrote:
Osias wrote:"segue em frente que tem outros troféu" :)

Is this phrase mostly used in Brasil or also in Europe, too?

Mostly on Brazilian tweetverse, actually. :) And it's used for many other things beyond a broken heart. But also for this. Notice "troféu" needs to be in/on singular, it's part of the joke.