Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Homine.Sardu
Re: Idioms in your culture for a broken heart

Postby Homine.Sardu » 2017-10-26, 8:57

Strigo wrote:
darkina wrote:There's a lot of fish in the ocean... :headbang:
(what if I want that particular fish... ;))

Morto un Papa, se ne fa un altro
(when a Pope dies, a new one is elected - although this is not only used for lovers, but I've been told this a few times recently)

It reminds me of "A rey muerto, rey puesto" which means the same, but using kings, not Popes. :P

There is one similar in Sardinian :

Preìderu mortu, cadréa leàda = Dead priest, taken chair

(it means that when a priest dies, another takes his place)

Instead another proverb about new opportunities is :

Deus tàncat unu balcone e abérit una janna = God closes a window and opens a door

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-10-26, 16:26

In Malayalam, you have a broken liver, not a broken heart, because we generally talk about feeling emotions in the liver rather than the heart.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-10-26, 17:40

Homine.Sardu wrote:Deus tàncat unu balcone e abérit una janna = God closes a window and opens a door

It is odd seeing such a distinctively Catalan verb in a non-Catalan context.

Also balcone is one for the True False Friends thread.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Homine.Sardu

Postby Homine.Sardu » 2017-10-26, 17:50

linguoboy wrote:
Homine.Sardu wrote:Deus tàncat unu balcone e abérit una janna = God closes a window and opens a door

It is odd seeing such a distinctively Catalan verb in a non-Catalan context.

Also balcone is one for the True False Friends thread.

It's used in all Sardinia I think, it could be a Catalan loanword; Sardinia was under Aragonese / Spanish government for nearly 300 years. The verb Tancare is interchangeable with Serrare; in the sentence above I could also use Serrare instead of Tancare. While Tancare in Sardinian is also a synonymous of "to enclose, to fence off".

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-10-26, 18:04

Homine.Sardu wrote:It's used in all Sardinia I think, it could be a Catalan loanword; Sardinia was under Aragonese / Spanish government for nearly 300 years. The verb Tancare is interchangeable with Serrare; in the sentence above I could also use Serrare instead of Tancare. While Tancare in Sardinian is also a synonymous of "to enclose, to fence off".

Among major Romance languages, it's found only in Catalan and Occitan. Coromines reportedly traces it to a Celtic verbal root *tanco-, but I can't find that in my sources. If it is Celtic, that would make a Sardinian origin highly unlikely.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Culture”