BEST films you've seen

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Alejo
BEST films you've seen

Postby Alejo » 2008-02-25, 4:42

Whats your favorite films?

Once-I LOVE this movie =D! I keep it on my desk, on my iPod, and another copy in our DVD collection. It was just so beautiful.

The Kite Runner-A film that actually met with the book. The acting was great too.

American Gangster-I think that this is probablly just one of the most bamf movies I have ever seen!

Fight Club-Such a great head-fuck film.

Yours ^_^?

Zorba

Postby Zorba » 2008-02-25, 5:14

I haven't seen as many great movies as I'd like. All time favorites would be A Streetcar Named Desire (latent sexualities bubbling under the surface) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (subtle exposé of sadism).

I really got into Lukas Moodysson's films last year, and I have a pile of Danish dogme films I got for Christmas sitting waiting to be watched...

OhMyMadge!

Postby OhMyMadge! » 2008-02-25, 5:48

I thought Zwartboek was absolutely amazing!

I also love Girl, Interrupted, Gia, Evita, Moulin Rouge...Oh, there are so many movies I like, but I don't think I could settle on an all-time favourite :D

linguanima

Postby linguanima » 2008-02-25, 6:23

The Lord of the Rings - realisation of a powerful epic in the boundless imaginary world.
This Is England - a film with deep messages.
Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain - absolutely delightful.
The History Boys - one of the few films I can easily relate to.
Brokeback Mountain - although the sex scene in the tent wasn't what it should be like in reality, I was moved by the complexity of feelings.
Şərqiy hünərlər: [flag]ug[/flag] [flag]tr[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]fa[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag]
Ğərbiy hünərlər: [flag]en[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]pt[/flag] [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]el[/flag]

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-02-25, 11:38

Bent

Brokeback Mountain - feelings are conveyed using... everything

The Constant Gardener

Little Miss Sunshine - realism, stark and cute

The Incredible

X-men 2 - best superhero flick ever

linguanima wrote:the sex scene in the tent wasn't what it should be like in reality

Sure. In real life Jack Twist would die from that :yep:
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

DelBoy
Location:i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Re: BEST films you've seen

Postby DelBoy » 2008-02-25, 13:07

Alejo wrote:
Once-I LOVE this movie =D! I keep it on my desk, on my iPod, and another copy in our DVD collection. It was just so beautiful.

Agus bhuaigh Glen agus Marketa an Oscar don amhrán is fearr aréir! :D
And Glen and Marketa won the Oscar for best song last night! :D
The British Isles are awesome - I know, I live there - but Ireland is not a part of them. K thnx bai!

Labharfainn níos mó faoi, dá dtuigfinn an bhrí...

Śrāmaṇera

Postby Śrāmaṇera » 2008-02-25, 13:21

Dogville - Lars Von Trier

eXistenZ - David Cronenberg

Lady in the water - M. Night Shyamalan

Lost Highway - David Lynch

Tideland - Terry Gilliam

The Meaning of Life - The Monty Pythons

Lost in translation - Sofia Coppola

Dracula - Francis Ford Coppola

Bjarn

Postby Bjarn » 2008-02-25, 15:14

Hrafninn Flýgur!!!!! I could watch that movie a hundred times in a row and not get bored!

Häxan(so clever)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari(one of the first german expressionism films I saw)
Nosferatu(the first expressionistic film I saw)
Dracula(1931 version)
Little Miss Sunshine(couldn't help but be amused)
The Nightmare Before Christmas(childhood nostalgia ftw)
Quest for Fire(cavemen!)
13th Warrior(silly)

Conan the Barbarian...I know, this one is absolutely atrocious but you gotta admit it was pretty funny
Språk är en tråd genom tidens flod...
Bruidhinn rium sa' Ghàidhlig!
Un homme qui parle trois langues est trilingue.
Un homme qui parle deux langues est bilingue.
Un homme qui ne parle qu'une langue est anglais.

duko

Postby duko » 2008-02-25, 15:44

Does anyone else here have an account on movielens.umn.edu? The website is kinda slow, but interesting for movie fans.
An university study project, it lets you rate movies and tries to rate new ones them for you based on your existing ratings.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

skye

Postby skye » 2008-02-25, 16:26

Bjarn wrote:Hrafninn Flýgur!!!!! I could watch that movie a hundred times in a row and not get bored!

Häxan(so clever)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari(one of the first german expressionism films I saw)
Nosferatu(the first expressionistic film I saw)
Dracula(1931 version)
Little Miss Sunshine(couldn't help but be amused)
The Nightmare Before Christmas(childhood nostalgia ftw)
Quest for Fire(cavemen!)
13th Warrior(silly)

Conan the Barbarian...I know, this one is absolutely atrocious but you gotta admit it was pretty funny

For me Conan the Barbarian would be childhood nostalgia - the whole thing looked so much better then - and The Nightmare before Christmas would be teenage nostalgia.

Axiom

Postby Axiom » 2008-02-25, 18:18

Alejo wrote:Whats your favorite films?

I got interested in that film..today (yeah, after watching the Oscar ceremony), but it seems i've missed it :? I'll try to find it anyway.

I'm actually not a cinema fan and i watch movies really seldom, so i can't say i've seen any so-called "elite movies". Some of my favourites are "The Pianist", "Beautiful mind", "Master and commander".. From the latest ones, i liked Andrzej Wajda's "Katyń".
But the Soviet "Kin-dza-dza!" is the absolute leader in my list.
you're an evil mushroom (c)Almar

Quevenois

Postby Quevenois » 2008-02-25, 20:29

:)
Last edited by Quevenois on 2010-10-27, 2:45, edited 1 time in total.

Narbleh

Postby Narbleh » 2008-02-25, 21:21

The book Fight Club is infinitely better than the movie. A lot of philosophical questions aren't even addressed in the movie, and the ending of the book isn't A) retarded, and B) defeating the whole purpose of the story.

My favorite movies, in no particular order! :D

Donnie Darko - Director's Cut: I was totally blown away by this movie. It's a horror-drama with an intricate, complex story that'll take you a while to figure out. Stunning writing and acting. One of my top three favorites.

Tale of Two Sisters: the best psychological horror out there. Forget the retarded American remake, the Korean original is an excellent, amazingly deep piece of work you can watch again and again. I had to watch it twice before the scope of the story hit me, and you figure something new out every time you watch it. Also has some of the scariest moments I've seen! If you've never heard of it, you must see it.

Mysterious Skin: One of the best, most disturbing and most moving dramas I've ever seen. It was banned from theaters in the US because of its subject: pedophilia. It follows how a coach's abuse of two young boys affects them growing up. Amazing acting, music, and writing in this one. It also has the most beautiful soundtrack for a movie I've ever heard.

Pan's Labyrinth: Such a beautiful, creative movie. The music, the costumes, the story, the acting... it's all just beautiful. It creates intrigue and suspense. Almost made me cry at the end, but that honor belongs to The Color Purple. Definitely a must-see.

Howl's Moving Castle: I was blown away by the artistic mastery in this movie. It has to be seen to be believed. My favorite anime.

The Color Purple: I don't know why I like this one so much, but it's the only movie to have ever made me cry :P Beautifully written and acted.

Edward Scissorhands: I love the dark whimsy in this movie :) It's funny, sad, and bittersweet.

Grave of the Fireflies: An incredibly depressing anime, but so excellently told and made that you have to watch it, even if it'll ruin the rest of your week!

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: A drama that goes places you don't expect. A complex and original story that really captivated my imagination. Great character development and message.

The Truman Show: One of my top five favorite movies. An original premise, great acting...

THE SHINING: A masterwork of what happens when seclusion and evil spirits make you go insane. It's a long movie, but it's one of the staples of the horror genre for a good reason! Some of the best horror scenes and sequences out there, and some lines have made their way into the general American culture. One of Jack Nicholson's finest hours.

Vanilla Sky: the Tom Cruise movie no one's heard about. An eerie drama about the repercussions of one wrong choice. Truly excellent, even if I normally hate Tom Cruise's guts.

The Triplets of Belleville: an animated work from France with almost no dialog. The story's all told through the amazing animation, music, and character development. Very whimsical and funny.

Pleasantville: a movie about black and white characters in a TV show finding themselves and gaining color in their monotone world, to the disgust of the rest of society. A great allegory with an original premise!
[flag=]en-us[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]eo[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag]Image

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2008-02-25, 21:53

"Magnolia" and "Stranger than fiction", I loved them!
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

DelBoy
Location:i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Postby DelBoy » 2008-02-25, 22:45

Quevenois wrote:
Agus bhuaigh Glen agus Marketa an Oscar don amhrán is fearr aréir!

Cé hiad sin? Cha chuala mé fá dtaobh daofa ariamh... ’dé ’n cineál uaráin a cheol siad?

Is as an ngrúpa Éireannach (Bl'átha Cliathach :D) The Frames é Glen Hansard (bhí páirt bheag aige sa Commitments freisin) agus is cáilín seiceach í Marketa Irglova atá ina cónaí in Éirinn le cúpla bliain anuas. Scríobh siad an t-amhrán(nó b'fhéidir é féin amháin a scríobh é) Falling Slowly don scannán Once (agus iad sna príomhpháirteanna ann freisin). Cuardaigh ar YouTube é - tá sé ar fheabhas! (Agus a ghrúpa freisin - nár chuala tú faoi The Frames nuair a bhí tú i dTír Chonaill? Tá siad chomh mór sin in Éirinn!)
The British Isles are awesome - I know, I live there - but Ireland is not a part of them. K thnx bai!

Labharfainn níos mó faoi, dá dtuigfinn an bhrí...

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2008-02-26, 9:23

Axiom wrote:But the Soviet "Kin-dza-dza!" is the absolute leader in my list.

Ку! :yep:
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Alejo

Postby Alejo » 2008-02-26, 19:48

DelBoy wrote:
Alejo wrote:

Agus bhuaigh Glen agus Marketa an Oscar don amhrán is fearr aréir! :D
And Glen and Marketa won the Oscar for best song last night! :D

That makes me so glad ^_^

Bjarn

Postby Bjarn » 2008-02-28, 13:38

Braveheart? :lol:
Språk är en tråd genom tidens flod...
Bruidhinn rium sa' Ghàidhlig!
Un homme qui parle trois langues est trilingue.
Un homme qui parle deux langues est bilingue.
Un homme qui ne parle qu'une langue est anglais.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-02-28, 13:51

Bjarn wrote:Braveheart? :lol:

Over the top :lol: I wish Mel Gibson were actually beheaded :?
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

an.cat.dubh

Postby an.cat.dubh » 2008-02-28, 20:24

In The Name Of The Father.
What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

I've seen both of them innumerable times, and they never fail to move me. Plus Daniel Day Lewis in the former and Johnny Depp in the latter.
DDL is a genius, I've never seen him play less than brilliantly.

Return to “Culture”