Which country do you want to visit absolutely?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Gormur
Re: Which country do you want to visit absolutely?

Postby Gormur » 2020-01-30, 11:31

I go alphabetically :idea: :wink:

Bhutan
Bolivia
Cambodia
Cuba
Denmark
Estonia
France
Indonesia
Laos
Morocco
Pakistan
Perú
Russia

It'd be nice to visit the UK, too. I wouldn't stay in London but maybe try and go up north and into Scotland. That could be interesting :hmm:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-05-09, 16:29

My husband promised he'd provide a fully-paid trip to Estonia if I take the missing 9 kilos allowing me to reach 45 kg 8-)
9 kilos is huge for me, but Estonia... :lmao: :ohwell:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Brzeczyszczykiewicz

Postby Brzeczyszczykiewicz » 2020-05-13, 2:52

france-eesti wrote:My husband promised he'd provide a fully-paid trip to Estonia if I take the missing 9 kilos allowing me to reach 45 kg 8-)
9 kilos is huge for me, but Estonia... :lmao: :ohwell:

Je pense que vous devriez le faire: votre corps vous le remerciera, et vous aurez en même temps l'opportunité de connaître la terre du cher maestro Pärt! 8-)
Rien que des gains, pas la moindre perte. :)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-05-15, 15:52

C'est gentil! This is so kind of you!
Mais j'ai très peur de prndre 9 kilos et d'être obèse :shock:
I'm feeling so fine at 36...... :roll:
Et j'ai changé d'avis - plutôt les Açores que l'Estonie (j'ai le choix de la destination, pourvu qu'elle se trouve en Europe !) :whistle:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-15, 15:59

Ha. I'm 36 as well. It's not bad :)

Estonia seems like it'd be great. I want to see those islands on which you can walk/drive across during the Winter when the ocean freezes over. Plus the Viking artifacts there

I imagine you can't see that anywhere else in the world :hmm:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-05-15, 16:30

You're 36? And how tall are you? I'm 165 cm :)
If Estonia then summer :yep: I'm not insane - and I fear the cold very much. Although you're right, I think the magic would show up in winter.
But I also read so many good things about Açores and I could train my Portuguese 8-) Although I'm france-eesti, my knowledge of the Estonian language is reduced to a few simple sentences :roll:

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-15, 17:25

175cm but I'm a male, so close to average
I wish I could find more resources for Estonian. I think a lot of people speak Swedish on the islands but in Tallinn I guess it's all eesti :)

That's why I'll go to the islands. I can talk to people :wink:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-05-15, 20:20

france-eesti wrote:I'm feeling so fine at 36...... :roll:

Gormur wrote:Ha. I'm 36 as well. It's not bad :)

france-eesti wrote:You're 36? And how tall are you? I'm 165 cm :)

Gormur wrote:175cm but I'm a male, so close to average

:hmm:
I'm pretty sure there's a misunderstanding going on here. You both seem happy to find something in common based around the fact that you're both 36 and I don't want to discourage that :mrgreen: , but I'm sorry to say that I'm fairly certain you're talking about different things. I think France-Eesti is a tiny 36 kilos (and needs to gain weight to earn her trip, not lose it) and is probably not 36 years old, while Gormur is 36 years old but probably weighs more than 36 kilos.

Gormur wrote:I wish I could find more resources for Estonian.

Ah, here you go: Here are quite a few (mostly reference materials at this link) and some more (online courses and games at various levels), plus others elsewhere in that thread.
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-05-15, 21:05

Linguaphile wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a misunderstanding going on here.

:rotfl:

And here I was, utterly confused (although slightly nostalgic) by what the connection between height and age is when neither of them are kids... Like, don't the French ever stop growing?

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-15, 21:07

Haha ok. No, I'm 54kg which is light enough for my height

Thanks for the links, Linguaphile. I've seen them. I think my main issue is pronunciation and I'm looking for movies and TV, although I've found an Estonian channel online. It works when it wants to :)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-05-15, 21:26

Gormur wrote:Haha ok. No, I'm 54kg which is light enough for my height

Thanks for the links, Linguaphile. I've seen them. I think my main issue is pronunciation and I'm looking for movies and TV, although I've found an Estonian channel online. It works when it wants to :)

Which channel? I'm not sure how many are online but I know of ETV and Kanal 2. Different shows there have different restrictions about whether or not they can be streamed for free (some can, some can't, some have geographic restrictions). For just listening, there's also Vikerraadio.
A while back I started a thread for tv shows and videos in Estonian; you might find something you like there, or if not (because the videos posted there are really random), if you know of other sites you like better than those, please add them to that thread for others to find! :mrgreen:

Naava wrote:Like, don't the French ever stop growing?

:rotfl:
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-15, 23:51

I know this isn't it https://www.err.ee/ unless the live TV is still there

I promise there was live TV :hmm:

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-05-16, 6:57

Growing? What's the connection between age, weight and growing? :D
My colleague sent me Estonian resources but I never found them very useful. He spent one semester in Tallinn and loved it a lot!
Still, you make me wanderlust for Estonia but I'm not sure about it.. It's hard to fly there from France, whereas Açores are easier to reach :D
anyway first I need 9 kilos and this morning I was still 1/2 lighter than yesterday so I'm as far as Açores as I am from Estonia :lol:

PS Sure 54kg is weak for 175 cm!
PPS and I'm 37 years old, not 36! Close enough :mrgreen:

awrui

Postby awrui » 2020-05-16, 14:46

You could look for a flight to Riga, Helsinki or Vilnius and then go by bus ;) When I went there it was autumn, a bit cold but still very nice! Plus, you avoid tourist season.

My countries would be: Russia, Kirgistan, Turkmenistan, Bhutan, Tibet, China, all of the pacific islands, especially New Caledonia, Palau, Solomon Islands. Also South Georgia!

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-05-16, 17:05

Helsinki shall be the most practical, Baltic countries aren't easily reachable from France, for some unknown reason. Maybe from Brussels?
Your sample is nice! My sister went to Kirghistan for her honeymoon and loved it a lot! Nice people and very great experience, surprising food and nights in yurts! 8-)
But among your list, our lone common point would be Russia :lol:

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2020-05-23, 6:54

Well in my case, even not a child anymore, I keep growing weight with age...
I'm 29 and I weight more than at 27.
But only in weight, not in height.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2020-05-23, 6:56

Italian laws and decrees are very confusing at the moment, but I think at the moment it's still not possible to go out of Italy yet, and neither for people from outside to come to Italy.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-05-23, 14:24

I wish I could grown up (in height) and not put on any weight!
Here we have lots of advertising about travelling in France - remaining inside. Sure, anyway now's not the time to mix viruses and sneezing and coughing all over the world :mrgreen:
anyway I'm thinking to accept the deal my husband offered and choosing a trip to Açores...
36.0 kg this morning, how long will it take to reach 45? :whistle:

awrui

Postby awrui » 2020-05-23, 15:57

Ah, weight is a weird thing, espesially for women (hormones and stuff. A female body just works differently). I am one of the most sporty people I know (by force, not because I like it- especially in summer, I cycle like 40km every day, otherwise at least 10 per day, all year round), still I gained circumfence?!? (no, it's not the eating). I stopped trying to make sense of it. Anyways, back to topic: The Azores?! I'm jelly ;) I hate living on an island, but I love to visit them! I've been to the Azores on google street view, it looks so beautiful.

I'm not a fan of yurts (too many mosquitoes), but I love the anmials and mountains. I've been to southern Russia before, but there are so many more places to explore! I'd really like to visit Kamchatka, also Altai and Tuva. Also the Saami area, my friend said that russian Saami women can skin a reindeer with their bare hands :ohwell:

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-23, 16:42

One country I want to see is Azerbaijan. I don't even know why, but there it is :)

I guess getting there is a pain from where I am, but it's possible. I don't know if you need a visa like you do in Russia. That's the only reason I haven't been there yet. Plan ahead I guess is the key phrase here :hmm:

Edit: Yes, a visa is required to visit Azerbaijan, though it looks like it's a lot easier to get it than it used to be. I guess you just wait for an email :hmm:
Last edited by Gormur on 2020-05-23, 16:58, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Culture”