Which country do you want to visit absolutely?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Linguaphile
Re: Which country do you want to visit absolutely?

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-05-23, 16:56

Gormur wrote:I don't know if you need a visa like you do in Russia. That's the only reason I haven't been there yet. Plan ahead I guess is the key phrase here :hmm:

Yeah, before you go do find out if you need a visa.
:rotfl:
Wikipedia even has an article for that to get you started.
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-23, 16:58

Too slow :hmm: :wink:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-05-23, 17:52

Linguaphile wrote:
Gormur wrote:I don't know if you need a visa like you do in Russia. That's the only reason I haven't been there yet. Plan ahead I guess is the key phrase here :hmm:

Yeah, before you go do find out if you need a visa.
:rotfl:
Wikipedia even has an article for that to get you started.

Pffft, be cool and do like this guy who got himself stuck between the borders of Russia and Finland for weeks!

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-23, 18:06

Still, that might be better than being forced to live in the United States :para: :hmm:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-06-03, 14:19

My list is what I think of as realistic. Still, going to Russia isn't it

I'd go just to visit Siberia. Too bad getting through all that paperwork is a pain. There are border checks within Russia and not everyone is allowed into certain cities

I think Moscow is the only easy one, followed by St. Petersburg. Though I hate megacities so this doesn't particularly help me

I don't even know that there are roads leading from say Moscow to Tomsk, Novosibirsk or Irkutsk

Maybe someone will come along with an answer to that :)

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-06-03, 14:56

Gormur wrote:Maybe someone will come along with an answer to that :)

How about the Trans-Siberian train? You can hop out when you feel like it, no need to travel all the way to Vladivostok.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-06-03, 15:05

I've looked into that but you don't just start anywhere obviously. It seems like a pain unless you're getting on in Vladivostok actually

Going by road is fun, even when incredibly dangerous :twisted: :)

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-06-03, 17:42

What do you mean you don't start anywhere? You can leave the train and buy a new ticket for the next one if you want. A bit trickier than just buying one ticket for the whole journey, but still possible.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-06-03, 18:48

I almost forgot there's girls on trains. I was 7 years old the last time I rode on a train :lol:

I think I'd still prefer a nice drive though even if I never made it to Siberia, started driving across rocky roads etc :lol:

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-06-03, 19:53

Gormur wrote:I almost forgot there's girls on trains. I was 7 years old the last time I rode on a train :lol

Pardon? :|

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-06-03, 23:21

Pardon me. I was just thinking aloud

I hate trains although the trains in Russia are probably nicer than what I'm accustomed to. Maybe less cramped, more to do

Anyway if I go it'd be over a year from now. No serious plans yet :)

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-06-04, 8:38

Well, it's good you remembered there are people on trains. That might have been a shock. :lol:

I don't know what kind of activities you have in mind but I doubt you'd find them on trains, no matter if their Russian or not. Unless you're really into cooking noodles and drinking tea. :)

I usually prefer trains over cars or planes but I can understand why you're not interested. The Trans-Siberia would be too much even for me! My friend tried to get me go with her but I kindly said hell no, especially when she planned on travelling in the third class. She herself loved it though.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-06-04, 15:06

Trains in India usually have people selling snacks and beverages. The chants of the people selling them are hard to forget.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-06-05, 17:44

It'd definitely be an adventure. Maybe I'm set in my ways

I can just imagine sitting on a train with nothing to do but drink vodka. OK that's a cliché but I bet it still holds a grain of truth :lol: :whistle:

When I was 7, Russia was still the USSR. Trains are likely more comfortable nowadays :hmm:

awrui

Postby awrui » 2020-06-05, 20:02

Gormur wrote:When I was 7, Russia was still the USSR. Trains are likely more comfortable nowadays :hmm:

:lol: It's the same trains...

I haven't done the Trans-Siberian, but another night train in 3rd class. The train was from the 80's. It was quite OK, except from the conductor who woke people up by hitting them hard in the back with a karate chop.

sandrine

Postby sandrine » 2021-07-29, 5:17

I want to do the Trans-Siberian ;) When I said it to my Russian friends, they said why am I interested on this old train, but it seems so exotic and a nice discovery to me ;) :D
Sandrine

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-03, 2:32

I guess despite posting on this thread several times, I never actually attempted a direct answer to the question. I don't think there is any particular country I absolutely want to visit.

Eireannach

Postby Eireannach » 2022-01-27, 11:35

I would like to visit many countries, to be honest. I would love to see New Zealand, Australia & Canada and it helps I can speak the language. I would also like to visit Norway, Iceland & the Faroe Islands, as I saw the history of the Island and became greatly interested in it.

Most of the countries I want to visit seem cold :lol:

I would like to visit Argentina as well, but I have to brush up on my Spanish.
Learning Spanish @ Lingua Fonica

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-28, 5:01

Ласкаво просимо! :partyhat:

I'd love to visit Turkey someday, too, if I can! :) I've heard people in Turkey are incredibly hospitable and just give you stuff for free.

Humusk1

Postby Humusk1 » 2022-07-06, 10:28

I've been to India, and while poverty is true, I'm not sure about famine. The cities also smelled. In Delhi, it smelled like sweaty people, and in Agra, it smelled like dirty animals. The population is extremely diverse. You'd walk out of a fancy mall to find people sleeping and bathing in the street right in front of you! Perhaps I made it sound revolting, but visiting India was one of the most beautiful experiences I've ever had! The people are extremely helpful and friendly. I also enjoy spicy foods, so...

Return to “Culture”