Do your name have any meaning?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Lynch

!

Postby Lynch » 2002-11-26, 22:04

About them hebrew names:

Joseph comes from "Yosef" which means "He (god) will add", as in: god will give me more sons like this one.

Yosi, NulNuk, is the short form of Yosef... as Itsik is the short for "Itschak" (=Isaac)

Jean-Luc: Yochanan -or- Yehochanan means: "God had forgiven" (Yeho/Yo/Ya/Yehova/Yehove/Yahave=God; chanan=roughly: had forgiven, more as in forgiving sins or crimes).

Jacob comes from Yaakov, the original name of Israel, son of Joseph. Yaakov means: "He will follow" and was given to him because he was twin to Eisav (=Hairy) that basicaly came first from Rachel... but Jacob was so eager to come out first he pulled Eisav's ankle (he was still bornsecond though)... Interesting fact: The root for "To follow" and for "ankle" in hebrew is the same! (Hence: he will follow = yaakov; ankle = akev).

Yaakov was renamed Israel by god after he signed the pact with god, and god decided that Yaakov's seed will be the source for his so called "chosen people". Israel means: "Straight with god" as in: "Does the straight things in the eyes of god" = "Does what god consideres correct -or- the one who's ok with god :wink: ".
אתה מתחיל הכי מהר שלך, ולאט-לאט אתה מגביר

Lynch

!

Postby Lynch » 2002-11-26, 22:05

Any more hebrew based names for me?

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2002-11-27, 1:19

Darkroom wrote:If i remember, it said that the name Elisabeth comes from hebrew and means something like 'God is great'...or i dont remember what else...

Accordingo to my sources, Elisabeth would be the spelling for Elizabeth used in the Authorized Version of the New Testament. It'd come from Greek Elisabet, which comes from Hebrew Elisheba = 'God is my oath'. Would that be correct, Lynch, as you asked for more Hebrew names? :) Its Portuguese form is Isabel, one of my favourite female names. :) I guess I have a strong tendency to like names from the Bible, as my favourite ones are all taken from there.

Darkroom wrote:I was born on the 19th March too!!! 8)

Cool, you're the first person I've ever met who was born on the same day I was. :) Which year? I was born in 1979.

Darkroom wrote:Actually (thrilling news?) it's my grandmother's surname! (so are we almost relatives?;))

Well, cousin Elisa, that's indeed interesting news! ;) The only Cherubinis I know are my relatives themselves, as we've totally lost contact with the branch of the family that lived in Italy right after WWII.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Lynch

!

Postby Lynch » 2002-11-27, 4:43

Accordingo to my sources, Elisabeth would be the spelling for Elizabeth used in the Authorized Version of the New Testament. It'd come from Greek Elisabet, which comes from Hebrew Elisheba = 'God is my oath'. Would that be correct, Lynch, as you asked for more Hebrew names? Its Portuguese form is Isabel, one of my favourite female names. I guess I have a strong tendency to like names from the Bible, as my favourite ones are all taken from there.

Elisabeth = Elisheva, you are correct, but elisheba means: "my god is satisfied" Elisheva was the wife of yehuda ish kraiot, which king david sent to the front, so he'll die and he could have his woman, elisheva, which he had seen naked on the roofs of ancient jerusalem, thus sinning in the eyes of god.

Isabel, on the other hand, has nothing to do with Elisabeth, it comes from yet another woman figure in the bible: Izevel (Or Izabel).
Izevel was not an israelite, she was the evil and distorted wife of king ach'av (YES, as in achav, the guy from "moby dick"!) whom made him sin and controled him like a puppet, she tried and introducing the paganistic worshipping of the ancient god "Ba'al" and produced many false prophets of ba'al. The prophets were confronted only by Eliyahu (Elija? I'm not sure of these spellings in english) which was the true and greatest prophet of god... He summoned the false prophets to mount carmel where he gave them a chance calling upon ba'al to fill some water into something... can't remember what, they tried again and again, but failed... then came Eliyahu's turn, he called upon god and not only filled the whole place with water but also summoned a great fire that consumed the prophets of deceipt and the moat dug around the area was filled with blood. Back to our story: after this Eliyahu (eli=my god; ya=the name of the true god (yahave); hu = is; all together: my god is yahave) fled the country because he feared Izevel might kill him, thus sinning, in not believing in god truly enough to know that he will not allow any harm to come to such a saint as Eliyahu was... but than, after starving in the desert Eliyahu was shown the way to the skies on a chariot of fire (which people claim were actualy aliens or something)... and that's the end of the greatest prophet ever, Eliyahu... oh... and Izevel was punished at the end... can't remember how exactly. BTW: Isabel = Izevel = She is garbage

I still can't understand why christians thought her name was good enough to use, well, I guess they didn't knew hebrew good enough.

Psi-Lord

Re: !

Postby Psi-Lord » 2002-11-27, 5:45

Lynch wrote:Elisabeth = Elisheva, you are correct, but elisheba means: "my god is satisfied" Elisheva was the wife of yehuda ish kraiot, which king david sent to the front, so he'll die and he could have his woman, elisheva, which he had seen naked on the roofs of ancient jerusalem, thus sinning in the eyes of god.

I remember that story... The woman would be Bathsheba in English, daughter of Eliam and wife of Uriah the Hittite. In Portuguese, her name's translated as Betsabé.

Lynch wrote:Isabel, on the other hand, has nothing to do with Elisabeth, it comes from yet another woman figure in the bible: Izevel (Or Izabel).

I'll have to disagree on this, Lynch. Isabel is indeed the correspondent of Elizabeth in Portuguese (and, I believe, in Spanish). I wouldn't discuss its origin, but its use though—even if the general belief is that Isabel was a Spanish mediaeval shortening of Elisabeth. But, as for the correspondence of the name, here's an example of a translation of the Bible (taken from Luke 1,36–37):

"And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren. For with God nothing shall be impossible."

"Também Isabel, tua parenta, até ela concebeu um filho na sua velhice; e já está no sexto mês aquela que é tida por estéril: porque a Deus nenhuma coisa é impossível."

There are some (very few) that say the name is actually derived from an old Semitic name meaning "daughter of Baal", but despite that, Isabel is still the name used to translate Elizabeth.

Lynch wrote:Izevel was not an israelite, she was the evil and distorted wife of king ach'av (YES, as in achav, the guy from "moby dick"!) whom made him sin and controled him like a puppet, she tried and introducing the paganistic worshipping of the ancient god "Ba'al" and produced many false prophets of ba'al.

That would be Jezebel in English (and Jezabel in Portuguese). Here, from I Kings 21, 25:

"But there was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness in the sight of the LORD, whom Jezebel his wife stirred up."

"Com efeito, não houve ninguém que praticasse tanto o mal aos olhos do Senhor como Acab, excitado como era por sua mulher Jezabel."

I remember I used to be pretty impressed by the story of Jezebel when I was a child. Oh, and yes, the profet would be Elijah in English (and Elias in Portuguese).
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2002-11-27, 10:05

Psi-Lord wrote:
Lynch wrote:Isabel, on the other hand, has nothing to do with Elisabeth, it comes from yet another woman figure in the bible: Izevel (Or Izabel).

I'll have to disagree on this, Lynch. Isabel is indeed the correspondent of Elizabeth in Portuguese (and, I believe, in Spanish).

Psi-Lord is right. In Portugal, for example, the queen of UK is called "Queen Isabel". It might not have come from the same source, but now they are considered "equivalent" names.

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2002-11-27, 10:42

I agree with Psi-Lord and Ekalin : I've always been told that Isabel (Isabelle in french) was derived from Elizabeth, though we use both in french, calling Queen of England Elisabeth and Queen of Spain of the XVth century, la Reine Isabelle d'Espagne. Jezabel is a different name, though I've never heard someone to be called like that...

Lynch

Thanks for this precision on Yochanan : I never found two books telling the same thing about its meaning, though, having learn (very) little hebrew, I almost knew what 'chanan' means...

Psi-Lord

As for 'Loukas', you may be right too : always the same problem with name's ethymology, someone say a thing, someone else another!!! However, may I be a wolf, a light, or a Lucanian, that does'nt matter, I'm what I am, and it's too late to change me :lol:

About my family name, I once imagine it came from hebrew (I was fond with this language at this moment, dueing to the fact I was reading the Bible), but someone said to me 'beng' in german means 'club, bludgeon'. Couln't find this in books, cause Bengler is not a french name. Maybe I'll find it in a german book???

And, à propos, my mother native name is Scandella, for she's italian (while the first of her family that was born in France). Makes me thing of 'Scandalo' (scandal) or 'candella' (candle) - but that's just silly things of my mas mind...

Jean-Luc
Language is the best way men have found to misunderstand each other. Lycodoxos

@Emandir

Patricia

Postby Patricia » 2002-11-27, 10:58

Psi-Lord wrote:

I'll have to disagree on this, Lynch. Isabel is indeed the correspondent of Elizabeth in Portuguese (and, I believe, in Spanish).

I think we've already had a similar discussion, about James being translated to Spanish as Jaime or Jacobo, if I'm not mistaken.
I wouldn't bet on the translations of names, cuz they have most probably been coined after centuries of usage and not after some real study of the meaning of the name.

Lynch

!

Postby Lynch » 2002-11-27, 13:14

Oops... Batsheva was the girl with the story of David... not Elisheva... I'm sorry... the endings of both names are the same and confuse me.
And, yeah... Uriah the Hitite not Yehuda whatever... sorry...

darkina

Postby darkina » 2002-11-27, 19:41

Psi-Lord wrote:
Darkroom wrote:I was born on the 19th March too!!! 8)

Cool, you're the first person I've ever met who was born on the same day I was. :) Which year? I was born in 1979.

I was born in 1982, almost cousin but not twin ;)

And in my life i've met so many people born on 19th March that i lost count (i had counted already almost 10 when i lost count, including 2 distant relatives of mine)...
век живи, век учись, а дураком помрешь

Pleasures remain, so does the pain

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2002-11-27, 21:00

Darkroom wrote:And in my life i've met so many people born on 19th March that i lost count (i had counted already almost 10 when i lost count, including 2 distant relatives of mine)...

I don't know anyone born on that day, but my sister's birthday is quite close to it. :)

In high school, I met five or six persons who had their birthdays less than three days before or after mine. Two of them were born on the same day and in the same year as I. :o

I thought it might not be so strange, since my birthday is in winter, and winter minus nine months is spring, a season very appreciated in cold Central Europe... :wink:

neemie

Postby neemie » 2002-11-27, 21:10

My name is Naima. I know my name has meaning but I'm pretty bad at remember it (or remembering to ask my mother). Does anyone have any idea what Naima means? I'll try to remember to ask my mom when I go home for Thanksgiving. Thanks for any help or idea you may have. :)
naima

Lynch

!

Postby Lynch » 2002-11-27, 21:39

Is your name in hebrew?
Because Neima (read as in spanish) means: Pleasent (or was it pleasant?)

Francy

Postby Francy » 2002-11-27, 21:59

I was thinking again about that Cherubini fact... one of our most famous singer in Italy (called Jovanotti) real name is Lorenzo Cherubini. I've always been told Cherubini is a typical surname of Versilian, an area which is in Tuscany.

Maybe the Ufficio Anagrafe never gave you real documents or replies because of the privacy law... in Italy you can ask only for your personal datum to the Anagrafe, if I ask about them about you or even about my aunt they can't give them to me!! There's the privacy!! Only me and my parents can have such information, and only about me! ...unfortunately... I'm thinking about a solution but I can't find... mmmm...
There are more things in Heaven and Hearth than are dreamt of in your Philosophy...

<b>
www.myspace.com/ushuayia
</b>

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2002-11-30, 13:35

I don't know exaclty what my name means...

Ronnie de Leeuw...

I've understood that "Ronnie" comes from Ronald -> Ronaldus -> Reinald -> Reinout.

And that it means; "He, who's rule with wisdom" But at the other side books tell me that Ronnie comes from Ronald -> Ronaldo but what it means than, I don't know....

I think it will stay a mysthery...

Greetings
Ron de Leeuw
the Nehterlands
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

isidora

greek names

Postby isidora » 2003-01-04, 15:06

Hi everyone :D :)
Iam the newest member of unilanf apprently,and i would like to add my contribution to the topic.I am Greek but my name is Greek-Egyptian.It means "gift of Isis"(the ancient egyptian deity).Can I ask a question to all Spanish speakers out there?My name is Isidora.Here in Greece,i have met only 2 or three other Isidoras,apparently it is a very weird name gor Greeks,but not much so for spanish-speakers.All of u out there who live in spanish-speaking countries,can u tell me if it is common there?

isidora

isidora

greek names

Postby isidora » 2003-01-04, 15:08

Hi everyone :D :)
Iam the newest member of unilang apprently,and i would like to add my contribution to the topic.I am Greek but my name is Greek-Egyptian.It means "gift of Isis"(the ancient egyptian deity).Can I ask a question to all Spanish speakers out there?My name is Isidora.Here in Greece,i have met only 2 or three other Isidoras,apparently it is a very weird name gor Greeks,but not much so for spanish-speakers.All of u out there who live in spanish-speaking countries,can u tell me if it is common there?

isidora

Patricia

Postby Patricia » 2003-01-04, 15:52

Can I ask a question to all Spanish speakers out there?My name is Isidora.Here in Greece,i have met only 2 or three other Isidoras,apparently it is a very weird name gor Greeks,but not much so for spanish-speakers.All of u out there who live in spanish-speaking countries,can u tell me if it is common there?

Hi Isidora. The name does indeed exist in Spanish, but it's not very common either. If I think of Isidora in an Argentinian context, it leads me to this description: A woman of around 40, of aborigin origin, that is to say very dark skin, living in the North West of the country (Provinces of Tucumán, Catamarca, Salta or Jujuy), mother of a numerous family...

It's hard for me to explain this description, but I guess it has to do with some society/class division in the country and the fact that some not very common women names (Miguela, Isidora, Javiera)are used in some regions of the country.

Hope this has been helpful and interesting for you, if not very "scientific" or accurate.

Patricia.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2003-01-04, 16:51

Hi, Isidora! :)

In Brazil, the name "Isadora" (a variant of your name) is rather common—if not so common, at least all Brazilians would probably be familiar with it. I wouldn't know, though, whether it's also common in Portugal, so I'll leave it to Luis. 8)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-04, 16:58

Well, Psi-Lord, Isadora/Isidora would be easily identified as a female name here, but it's not common at all :-)

And btw, Isidoro is the name of a ham and other meat products brand :lol:
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Return to “Culture”