Do your name have any meaning?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

isidora
dark woman?

Postby isidora » 2003-01-04, 22:38

Dark woman?
why does that comes to Patricia?I have heard that there are a lot of men-turned -to woman names like Javiera in Argentina,but dark aboriginal woman??Quechua or Guarani?it is so weird,I am really fair with green eyes,I have lived in Greece all my life and usually people tend to talk to me in the street in English or German.Do names in Argentina have social meanings?I am curious.

isidora

Patricia

Re: dark woman?

Postby Patricia » 2003-01-05, 18:34

isidora wrote:Dark woman?
why does that comes to Patricia?I have heard that there are a lot of men-turned -to woman names like Javiera in Argentina,but dark aboriginal woman??Quechua or Guarani?it is so weird,I am really fair with green eyes,I have lived in Greece all my life and usually people tend to talk to me in the street in English or German.Do names in Argentina have social meanings?I am curious.

isidora

Well, there are certain names, like the ones I mentioned above which are more commonly used in some social groups, like aborigin groups that have during the centuries had to adopt a different culture (say Spanish). That's why I immidiately relate such names to such groups. It's not a real meaning to the name, nothing to do with etompology, just a tendency that occurs here. :)

Banazir.Galbasi

Postby Banazir.Galbasi » 2006-11-26, 20:36

*native speakers! please feel free to correct my english*

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2006-11-26, 20:47

Heh, then we have similar names! :lol: My surname is "Rieck" which means "rich" in Low German - but I'm definitely not rich.

Egein

Postby Egein » 2006-11-26, 23:33

Étienne comes from the greek stephanos which means a crown.

My familly name means fish - poisson

About Erick.

It comes from Old Norse Eiríkur and as far as I can tell, the first part ei means not, but the name it self does not mean "the one who is not rich, who does not reign" because the ei is actually short for eilíf, forever (no-life).

In Iceland everyone calls me Ljóni (which is closest to ljón, lion) which is my icelandifizised version of my second name Léon which probably means lion...
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

Banazir.Galbasi

Postby Banazir.Galbasi » 2006-11-27, 0:39

Amikeco wrote:Heh, then we have similar names! :lol: My surname is "Rieck" which means "rich" in Low German - but I'm definitely not rich.

:D hope, you are gonna be rich one day!

oh, that was not my surname. it is my middle name. my surname means "looter" if one translates it. well, of course i am no looter.
Last edited by Banazir.Galbasi on 2006-11-27, 1:08, edited 1 time in total.

Drochfhuaimniú

Postby Drochfhuaimniú » 2006-11-27, 0:57

My first name is Thomas, which is .. something in Aramaic about twins, I think.

My surname is Leathlaobhair, which is "mutterer" in Irish.

Egein

Postby Egein » 2006-11-27, 1:04

Drochfhuaimniú wrote:My first name is Thomas, which is .. something in Aramaic about twins, I think.

How would people pronounce it? How do you?

[lelI:waR]
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

Banazir.Galbasi

Postby Banazir.Galbasi » 2006-11-27, 1:12

Drochfhuaimniú wrote:My first name is Thomas, which is .. something in Aramaic about twins, I think.

Is there also an english form of that surname?

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-11-27, 1:43

My first name is one of many Scandinavian versions of a Christian name.
Last edited by Hunef on 2012-05-22, 21:37, edited 6 times in total.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-11-27, 1:46

Drochfhuaimniú wrote:My surname is Leathlaobhair, which is "mutterer" in Irish.

I assume you invented it. :wink:
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Danysh

Postby Danysh » 2006-11-27, 4:29

Daniel, my first name, means "God is my judge" in Hebrew, as has already been said. Though rarely does anyone call me by my real first name, usually its just Danny. I've read that Scott, my middle name, meant "Scotsman" in Old English, or maybe tattoo. That kind of fits as I am part Scottish(exactly how much I'm not sure) though I don't have any tattoos :P . My family name, Hansen, is Danish and means son of Hans. One of my ancestors's name about 4 generations back I think was Hans so that makes sense.

The choosing of my name had little to do with the meaning. I doubt my parents were even aware of the meanings when I was born. My first name came from my great grandfather's name and my middle is the same as my dad's middle name.

kibo

Postby kibo » 2006-11-27, 17:27

There is no sure evidence of the origin of the name Bojan. It's a name used mostly in South Slavic countries, though I read that it is also present among Russians and Czechs. There are three theories of its origin. The first is that it comes from the Slavic word boi which means battle (also present in today's Serbian - boj), so Bojan would be 'an actor in a battle' or in other words a soldier or a warrior. The second theory relates Bojan with the ancient Celtic tribe of Boii, which is also how Bohemia got its name. Boian (Latin Boius) would be a member of the Boii tribe. Later the word/name would be accepted by the Slavic tribes that came there. And the third and the last theory is that of the Avar origin. Bayan (or Baïan) was the name of the leader of euro-asian Avars and the founder of their empire in Panonia. The name means powerful, rich, or winner. It is possible that the name got adopted by the Slavs which the Avars dominated over or by the Bulgars which were their allies.

There is a feminine version - Bojana - which is also the name of a river in Montenegro. Bojan was also used as a toponym in Bulgaria (which made some Bulgarian onomatologists claim that it's entirely a Bulgar name and that it's not a compound word - that could also be a 4th theory) I also read that there was a town in Ukraine called Bojan which was founded by Jews in the 19th century but it no longer exists.
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

kibo

Postby kibo » 2006-11-27, 17:46

Oh, and how I got my name. Well, I didn't get it from any relative (thank God), but my grandparents proposed a name which starts with a B. If it had been up to my mother, I would have been named Andreas (a Greek name, Ανδρεας derives from ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος (andros) "of a man"), but I also found that it means "the one who is brave")

Too bad she accepted my grandparent's suggestion. :cry:

My surname means "a Bulgarian" in Serbian. ;)
Goals:
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Pips

Postby Pips » 2006-11-27, 19:34

My name, Philip, originally comes from Greek and means something like "One who loves horses" (which isn't particularly accurate, as I am rather indifferent to horses myself - as are my parents, so I guess they never really gave much thought to the meaning before bestowing that name on me).

I'm reminded of a scene in the movie Pulp Fiction, in which the Colombian cab driver (Esmeralda Villalobos) meets the character Butch, played by Bruce Willis. She asks him what his name means, and he replies something like "I'm American, honey; our names don't mean shit."

Bolek wrote:Oh, and how I got my name. Well, I didn't get it from any relative (thank God), but my grandparents proposed a name which starts with a B. If it had been up to my mother, I would have been named Andreas (a Greek name, Ανδρεας derives from ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος (andros) "of a man"), but I also found that it means "the one who is brave")

Too bad she accepted my grandparent's suggestion.

My surname means "a Bulgarian" in Serbian.

I'd like to know why "Bugi" got the boot, and where "Bolek" comes from - but I guess that's a topic for a different thread...
Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2006-11-27, 19:54

Marleen- woman from Magdala

How boring :P
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

darkina

Postby darkina » 2006-11-27, 19:57

Pips wrote:
I'd like to know why "Bugi" got the boot, and where "Bolek" comes from - but I guess that's a topic for a different thread...

He will always be Bugi in my heart :( :mrgreen:
век живи, век учись, а дураком помрешь

Pleasures remain, so does the pain

Axiom

Postby Axiom » 2006-11-27, 20:20

My full name is Светлана (Svetlana) which comes from Slavic "светлая" (light/clear) and so it means "light". I think the English equivalent for my name is Claire, but I don't like it :?
you're an evil mushroom (c)Almar

Drochfhuaimniú

Postby Drochfhuaimniú » 2006-11-27, 20:37

Egein wrote:

How would people pronounce it? How do you?

[lelI:waR]

Yeah, I've basically pronounced it like that. What with the variation in dialects there's a few different ways to pronounce it, but I like it best that way.

the.bastard.landlord wrote:

Is there also an english form of that surname?

Yep, Lawlor.

kibo

Postby kibo » 2006-11-27, 22:14

Pips wrote:I'd like to know why "Bugi" got the boot, and where "Bolek" comes from - but I guess that's a topic for a different thread...

Bolek is a character from a Polish cartoon called Bolek and Lolek. I've been using that nick in other situations too (and on the Unilang chat sometimes), so I decided to synchronize my forum nick with it. :)

Bole is actually a very common nickname for Bojan. :)
Goals:
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Return to “Culture”