Do your name have any meaning?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-12-01, 8:35

My given name is Gergely, the Hungarian equivalent of Gregory. So I’m watching you. ;) My family name, Patai, means ‘originating from a settlement called Pata’. Pata itself means hoof.

Az utónevem Gergely, a Gregory magyar megfelelője. Tehát figyellek titeket. ;) A vezetéknevem – Patai – jelentése: Pata községből származó. A Pata maga angolul hoof.
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2006-12-01, 10:28

CoBB wrote:My given name is Gergely, the Hungarian equivalent of Gregory. So I’m watching you. ;)

Well, this explains why you're so (too) obsevant :P.

I, on the other hand, found this, although this is more flattering :mrgreen:.

North

Postby North » 2006-12-01, 10:34

Hunef wrote:But the disappearance and reappearance of the surname Skeel is a bit confusing... :roll:

It is because we (my father and I) took the name back - why let an old family name die? :) There are other names we could take, if we wanted to keep old family names, but we are connected to the Skeel-family in so many ways, that this should be the one. And then it is easy to spell and pronounce

Lada

Postby Lada » 2006-12-01, 17:57

North wrote: Someone told me, that Anna means "gracious", but I don't remember in wich language.

it's from Hebrew.
http://www.answers.com/topic/anna
btw, my name is Anna but I prefer Russian diminutive Анюта :)

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-12-01, 18:40

Varislintu wrote:I, on the other hand, found this, although this is more flattering :mrgreen:.

Sure, being pursued by wolves is the kind of thing that appeals to you, eh? :mrgreen:

Az ám, nagyon is tetszik neked, ha farkasok üldöznek, ugye? :mrgreen:

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2006-12-01, 19:16

CoBB wrote:Sure, being pursued by wolves is the kind of thing that appeals to you, eh? :mrgreen:

Luonnollisesti ;).

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-12-01, 19:18

Varislintu wrote:Luonnollisesti ;).

Hyvä tietää. :twisted:

Jó tudni. :twisted:

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2006-12-02, 18:43

North wrote:"Skeel", I don't think it means anything, but it is a Danish, old name of a noble family. (if you find that interesting, take a look at the family tree here)

I noticed, that one of your ancestors is Anna Helvig Clausdatter Dam.

Has anyone in your family examined this branch further? We are quite definitely related this way!
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2006-12-02, 22:14

Roberto - Germanic "fame" + "bright". As far as I know the name came from late Old or Middle High German speakers, but because it's made up of two very common Germanic name components I like to use Hrōðbeorht (OE.) or Hrōþabaírhts (Gothic) better. But a Lombardic *Hrodperaht doesn't sound half bad :P

Ochoa - from Basque otsoa, "the wolf". Hence my username.

Crespo - from Latin crispus, "curly-haired".
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

North

Postby North » 2006-12-03, 15:22

Mulder-21 wrote:
North wrote:"Skeel", I don't think it means anything, but it is a Danish, old name of a noble family. (if you find that interesting, take a look at the family tree here)

Has anyone in your family examined this branch further? We are quite definitely related this way!

That is interesting! I'll ask my father to examine this branch, to see how we could be related, and a line to the Faroe Islands would be quite cool 8)

(here's the line: http://finnholbek.dk/genealogy/relation ... onID=I8362)

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-12-03, 15:33

North wrote:
Mulder-21 wrote:

That is interesting! I'll ask my father to examine this branch, to see how we could be related, and a line to the Faroe Islands would be quite cool 8)

(here's the line: http://finnholbek.dk/genealogy/relation ... onID=I8362)

I must say your father has created a terrific program to make genealogy trees. :shock:
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

North

Postby North » 2006-12-03, 15:39

Hunef wrote:I must say your father has created a terrific program to make genealogy trees. :shock:

It is of course a program he has bought - he just fills the database with information :wink: He is definetly not a nerd :lol:

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2006-12-03, 15:47

North wrote:
Hunef wrote:I must say your father has created a terrific program to make genealogy trees. :shock:

It is of course a program he has bought - he just fills the database with information :wink: He is definetly not a nerd :lol:

Ah, okey. Then I see. Looking at the genealogy pages, it seems like your family is some kind of eccentric aristocracy, though. :) (But maybe that is merely how we in the central and northern parts of Scandinavia perceive danes in a generalized manner.)
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

North

Postby North » 2006-12-03, 16:30

Hunef wrote: Looking at the genealogy pages, it seems like your family is some kind of eccentric aristocracy, though. :) (But maybe that is merely how we in the central and northern parts of Scandinavia perceive danes in a generalized manner.)

I think you're right about that one :lol: That is why I will now flee to the Faroe Islands :twisted: :lol:

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2006-12-03, 18:16

Well, we're not completely deprived of eccentric aristrocracy here either. If you check the genealogy of Faroese people, you'll notice that most of the ancestors are priests and/or so called 'wizards'. Of course, the definition of these 'wizards' is just that they knew a bit more than the common man, e.g. to read, to write, a bit of science and medical cures etc. :)

And yes, most of the priests were Danish, so... :P
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

akiNOkaze

Postby akiNOkaze » 2006-12-20, 2:59

Technically speaking, my name is the feminized, modern French version of a Germanic root meaning free man, which back then basically meant "person". So I'm a person, I guess, who is not enslaved, thankfully.

I'm sure no one's interested in my other names.

Edit : That, and sorry to interrupt the current course this thread is taking. very rude of me, indeed, not to read the latest posts.

Lauura

Postby Lauura » 2007-02-19, 21:49

My name is Luciana, which means "the one who brings the light" and my middle name is Laura, which has to do with laurel and so it means "glory". I know all this bringing the light and being glorious sounds a little bit pretentious, but then again... I don't think there are names that mean things like "he who is good for nothing" or "the one we're all fed up with", don't you think? :silly:
The world is made -mainly- of things that I haven't learnt yet.

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2007-02-19, 22:17

My name is from Anastacia and means "She who will rise again" which is rubbish because I'm a terrible morning person.. :lol:
Native: English
Fluent: Finnish
Want to resuscitate: German
Actively learning: Hebrew
Wishes she had time for: Northern Sámi
En usko humalaan.

Teup

Postby Teup » 2007-02-19, 22:20

Stacy wrote:My name is from Anastacia and means "She who will rise again" which is rubbish because I'm a terrible morning person.. :lol:

It doesn't say how though.. perhaps it's a warning? :P

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2007-02-19, 22:21

Well if I'm a zombie that would be well fun..traipsing around asking for brains...

Otherwise, I'm totally up for some levitation OR even ascension :D:D:D
Native: English
Fluent: Finnish
Want to resuscitate: German
Actively learning: Hebrew
Wishes she had time for: Northern Sámi
En usko humalaan.

Return to “Culture”