Top Ten Reasons For Being...

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

User avatar
Gormur
Posts: 7627
Joined: 2005-05-17, 1:11
Real Name: Gormur
Gender: male
Country: CU Cuba (Cuba)
Contact:

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby Gormur » 2011-03-27, 23:17

Talib wrote:I'm actually not a big fan of it. Sex is way better, you should try it.


I used to think sex was the most amazing feeling till i tried drugs.. Then i combined the two and was overwhelmed with pleasure

But i've never found sex by itself to be that great. For one, most people don't know what they're doing down there, which means i'm usually the one doing all the leg work, bored out of my mind waiting for her to get off so i can move onto something else

Romantic, eh?
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

User avatar
Tenebrarum
Posts: 6617
Joined: 2006-06-22, 17:02
Real Name: Duy
Gender: male

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-03-27, 23:38

loqu wrote:You're waiting for our marriage? Oh, how sweet!

:lol:

But seriously, maybe I'm a goody two shoes with a dark side, but I find the notion of sex without romantic involvement majestically uncomfortable. And as far as I'm concerned, I haven't fallen in love with anybody.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

KingHarvest
Posts: 4168
Joined: 2008-03-21, 5:46
Gender: male
Location: New York
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-03-28, 5:53

Yeah, but as far as majestically uncomfortable situations go, it's one of the best!
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

User avatar
Anla'shok
Posts: 15
Joined: 2011-02-21, 19:52
Gender: female
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby Anla'shok » 2011-03-28, 6:17

kalemiye wrote:
7. The Ottoman victory at Gallipoli is reason enough to make fun of British/Australian people (that's what I've heard, at least. I don't know if that's actually true).


This one is not true at all. People in Turkey respect a lot Autralians and people from Neo-Zeland because they know that they didn't want to be in the war, plus there were episodes of friendship between soldiers from both sides. As far as the British are concerned, I have never heard a Turk making fun of them because of the battle of Gallipoli.


Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. :oops: My apologies. I wasn't sure if it was true or not.

:newbie:
"The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice."
Native: [flag]en-US[/flag] ~ Fluent: [flag]es[/flag] ~ Basic: [flag]la[/flag] [flag]grc[/flag] ~ Survival phrases: [flag]de[/flag] [flag]tr[/flag] [flag]el[/flag]
Interested in: [flag]tr[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]it[/flag] [flag]zh[/flag]

User avatar
kalemiye
Posts: 4227
Joined: 2007-01-12, 19:24
Gender: female
Country: ES Spain (España)

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby kalemiye » 2011-03-28, 19:37

Anla'shok wrote:
kalemiye wrote:
7. The Ottoman victory at Gallipoli is reason enough to make fun of British/Australian people (that's what I've heard, at least. I don't know if that's actually true).


This one is not true at all. People in Turkey respect a lot Autralians and people from Neo-Zeland because they know that they didn't want to be in the war, plus there were episodes of friendship between soldiers from both sides. As far as the British are concerned, I have never heard a Turk making fun of them because of the battle of Gallipoli.


Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. :oops: My apologies. I wasn't sure if it was true or not.

:newbie:


No need for apologies ;)
Not available

User avatar
kalemiye
Posts: 4227
Joined: 2007-01-12, 19:24
Gender: female
Country: ES Spain (España)

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby kalemiye » 2011-03-28, 19:38

Talib wrote:Fuck Ataturk.

I just said that because in my country, I won't go to prison for it.


:lol: Just be sure you don't say that in this country.
Not available

User avatar
sa wulfs
Posts: 4286
Joined: 2005-02-28, 12:24
Real Name: Rober
Gender: male
Location: Madridissa
Country: ES Spain (España)

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby sa wulfs » 2011-03-28, 19:51

Are you even allowed to quote that? I'll contact the embassy just in case.
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

ynmaz
Posts: 198
Joined: 2011-03-16, 22:43
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby ynmaz » 2011-04-09, 17:13

kalemiye wrote:
:lol: Just be sure you don't say that in this country.


Going to jail would be the least of your immediate problems there if you said that :mrgreen:

User avatar
Antonym
Posts: 226
Joined: 2011-02-07, 9:52
Gender: female
Country: AT Austria (Österreich)
Contact:

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby Antonym » 2011-06-22, 22:09

Top Ten Reasons For Being Norwegian

1. Brown cheese
2. Polar bears
3. Being able to walk on ice without falling (even when drunk and/or in high heels)
4. Not being able to tell by the light if it's 2 pm or 2 am in summer
5. Considering walking up mountains to be the most relaxing vacation activity imaginable
6. Never ever having to speak with strangers on the bus
7. Feeling bad if you're inside when it's sunny
8. Making fun of swedes and danes
9. Watching eurovision and pretending to not care about the results (except when we win)
10. Everywhere else (except for Tokyo) is cheap

User avatar
loqu
Posts: 11835
Joined: 2007-08-15, 21:12
Real Name: Daniel
Gender: male
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby loqu » 2014-06-27, 14:14

Well, I have to make up for the shit Guillem said about Andalusians back in 2006.

Top Ten reasons for being Andalusian

1. We love flamenco, but most of us can't dance or sing it even if our lives depended on that.
2. We have amazing landscapes, beautiful beaches and countryside, but we don't leave our hometown even for a weekend -except for going to a mall-.
3. We take pride in our dialect, except when talking to someone from outside Andalusia, then we do our best not to sound Andalusian because we're ashamed of it.
4. We always vote for the same party, and the main opposition party calls the voters morons and whatnot, but they don't put the least effort in trying to win.
5. We love compound names, and we'll name our kids with a compound name, even if it doesn't sound well.
6. One of our two big festivals involves crosses and sculptures of Jesus and Virgin Mary, hence the rest of Spain thinks we're profoundly Catholic even if most of us have only set foot in a church for weddings.
7. The other of our two big festivals lasts for a week but only one of those days is a bank holiday. People party after leaving work every day that week.
8. We take pride in a tomato cold soup with onions, cucumber and garlic called gazpacho and don't understand people who don't like it.
9. We have an amazing Medieval history, and our capital Córdoba was one of the most important cities in the world at that time, but most of us only know that "the Moors were here and built the Alhambra".
10. We speak unreasonably fast.
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

User avatar
Levike
Posts: 6153
Joined: 2013-04-22, 19:26
Real Name: Levi
Gender: male
Location: Budapest
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby Levike » 2014-06-27, 21:08

Ok, my version:

Top Ten reasons to be a Transylvanian Hungarian:

1. You're Hungarian when you want to and you're Romanian when you want to.

2. You get money simply for being what you are.

3. It's easy to vote and you know they'll always win in 3 counties.

4. You claim the whole world is Hungarian and that everything else is bullshit.

5. You may act like a primadonna.

6. "Kürtös kalács", but secretly you still love the Romanian "mici".

7. You get a day off both at Hungarian and at Romanian celebrations.

8. You piss of the lady at the store by magically forgetting Romanian.

9. You pretend to be monolingual and thus ignore whoever you want.

10. You're Hungarian when you want to be and Romanian when you want to be.
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 23563
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby linguoboy » 2014-06-27, 21:16

(10a) You can repeat yourself and hope no one will notice
(10b) You can get through life without learning how to count.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
Levike
Posts: 6153
Joined: 2013-04-22, 19:26
Real Name: Levi
Gender: male
Location: Budapest
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby Levike » 2014-06-27, 21:19

linguoboy wrote:(10a) You can repeat yourself and hope no one will notice
That one needed to be emphasised.

By the way, is the 1st one grammatically correct?
Is that "to" preposition welcomed?
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 23563
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby linguoboy » 2014-06-27, 21:32

Levike wrote:By the way, is the 1st one grammatically correct?
Is that "to" preposition welcomedappropriate?

Nope. It's need "be" after it.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Koko
Posts: 5358
Joined: 2013-11-29, 6:50
Real Name: Jon Stockman
Gender: male
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby Koko » 2014-09-12, 7:42

I find the original "top ten reasons for being Canadian" quite true. Although, stressing the our annihilation of the States wasn't needed, but I suppose how else are you going to fill in the empty numbers :mrgreen: ?

User avatar
Lada
Posts: 4299
Joined: 2003-08-10, 15:23
Real Name: Anna
Gender: female
Country: RU Russia (Российская Федерация)

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby Lada » 2014-09-12, 10:28

Hmm...

Top Ten reasons to be Russian:

1. You live in the biggest country in the world so you can travel a week in a train and still be inside of it. 9000 km away from your home people still speak the same language, however you only read about it and never take such long trips to realize if it is truth or not.

2. Russian language doesn't have any dialects. People living in Vladivistok, Kaliningrad, Sochi, Anadyr and even abroad easily understand each other. However it's very superficial point of view. In most cases people do not understand each other speaking even the same language.

3. The one big cultural space called "Russian World", it's not limited by Russian borders. However it's not clear what or who is inside of this world.

4. There' re quite a lot of us. Not too much but not too little to feel very lonely on this planet. It helps as you're surrounded by NATO bases, Islamic terrorists and China.

5. You're living in a safe country. Even in case of nuclear war, there's a chance to survive due to defensive weapons Russia has.

6. You have access to high class scientific and cultural information. But in most cases you're watching cheap soap operas or Hollywood movies.

7. You are not European and not Asian, you're Russian. A blending of Mongols, Slavs and someone else. Fuck, there're no pure Russians, how sad.

8. Russia is one of the few self-sufficient countries. Yes.

9. You have everything for different vacances - arctic ice and subtropical beach, forests and deserts, mountains and fields. But it's so expensive that in most cases you stay at your dacha or go to Egypt or Turkey.

10. You have many things to be proud of after all - both in past and in present. Except of... (put in everything you know and see around).

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5928
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Milan
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby OldBoring » 2014-09-12, 17:04

loqu wrote:10. We speak unreasonably fast.

I couldn't understand that super fast sentence in Spanish that Banderas said to Schwarzenegger in the Expendables 3. :lol:

Thans for resuming this thread, loqu! I didn't know it existed and it amused me a lot!

@Levike: 1&10 seem the same.

User avatar
OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 5928
Joined: 2012-12-08, 7:19
Real Name: Francesco
Gender: male
Location: Milan
Country: IT Italy (Italia)
Contact:

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby OldBoring » 2014-09-12, 18:32

I have this long list of 46 reasons... but i will pos the first 10 ones. Let me know if you want the complete version. :D

Top Ten reasons to be a Chinese Italian:

1. You were born in China but you spent most of your life in Italy.
1a. Or you were born in Italy, but then your parents sent you to your grandparents' in China who then raised you until you were a thinking kid, finally to be sent to Italy again.
2. You have an Italian passport (or you're gonna have it soon) but Chinese physionomy.
3. When you speak, in a sentence there are two words in Italian, two in a Chinese dialect and two in Mandarin!
4. When you go abroad and people ask you "where are you from?", you don't know what to answer (China? Wenzhou? Rome?... I dunno)
5. Your first name is Francesco, Alessandro, Jessica, Lucia but your last name is Zhou, Zhao or Hu!
6. Even though you are Chinese, they try to cheat you in China!
7. You know all the theme songs of Italian cartoons (sung by the great Cristina D'Avena) but when people talk about Chinese cartoon you don't know any.
8. At the soccer World Cup or Europe Cup you root unshamedly for Italy and everybody asks why!
9. On the other hand, at the Olympic games you root unshamedly for all the Chinese athletes! (you are opportunist... you always root for the stronger country of the two in every sport...)
10. You feel proud when on TV there is a film with Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan.


Return to “Culture”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest