Top Ten Reasons For Being...

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

mōdgethanc

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-03-15, 21:37

Horse meat is quite common in some traditionally nomadic cultures like Kazakhstan and Mongolia. Here, it's associated mainly with the French.
Over here, when we say yum cha, we mean the act of sitting there, drinking tea, eating dim sum and being disrespected by the trolley servants.
That's what it means in Hong Kong. But we don't say "going for yum cha". We say "going to get some dim sum". The food is the important part, not the surly waiters.

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-03-15, 21:40

I'd never heard of dim sum until this year. It's not very popular here.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-03-15, 21:42

Talib wrote:Horse meat is quite common in some traditionally nomadic cultures like Kazakhstan and Mongolia.

Unfortunately for those countries, eating too much meat gives you cancer.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-03-15, 21:45

I don't know why I would feel any worse about eating bear than cow or something.
Unfortunately for those countries, eating too much meat gives you cancer.
Any meat, or just horse meat?

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2011-03-15, 21:49

Lenguas wrote:
I was going to say that I wouldn't try horse meat, but then I read this. I'd certainly have a try then.

Just because of the nutrition? I could never bring myself to try that. I would feel so badly afterwards. It would be like wanting to eat bear meat or something. So sad.

I don't understand what the difference is between eating a poor horse or bear, and poor angus.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-03-15, 21:53

Talib wrote:I don't know why I would feel any worse about eating bear than cow or something.

Because we humans farm cow for meat and not bear so the latter would face rapid extinction?

Any meat, or just horse meat?

Red meat, horse included, is harder to break down and more harmful. Of course the anatomy of people in those countries should be more adapted to heavy consumption, but only to a negligible extent. Evolution is not very speedy, after all. Meat has never been prominent in the traditional diet of primates, so when humans go against that, things tend to go wrong.

Grains, fruits and vegetable all the way.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-03-15, 22:02

Because we humans farm cow for meat and not bear so the latter would face rapid extinction?
I'm talking about a single case. I wasn't aware the brown bear was particularly endangered.
Red meat, horse included, is harder to break down and more harmful. Of course the anatomy of people in those countries should be more adapted to heavy consumption, but only to a negligible extent. Evolution is not very speedy, after all. Meat has never been prominent in the traditional diet of primates, so when humans go against that, things tend to go wrong.

Grains, fruits and vegetable all the way.
While I don't see how eating a meat-based diet can be particularly healthy, I also think "meat gives you cancer" smacks of causation.

But you're the vegan proselytizer here, so I'll let you have it.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2011-03-15, 22:09

I would assume most horses ended up as meat after they couldn't work anymore. And there were a lot of horses. I mean it's not like people buried them. They made salami and leather and glue.

I've eaten horse plenty of times, and I don't feel bad. At least they're not bred just for that, or killed as foals for delicacies, like so many other animals we eat without batting an eye (broilers anyone?).
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-03-15, 22:10

Talib wrote:I wasn't aware the brown bear was particularly endangered.

It's actually much more endangered than the black bear. But I digress. My principle is that if you don't farm a species, don't eat it. Unless your diet consists of, say, microorganisms.

Talib wrote:While I don't see how eating a meat-based diet can be particularly healthy, I also think "meat gives you cancer" smacks of causation.

Eating too much meat is one of the causes of cancer. It's a proven medical fact. Digesting meat is no mean feat, and many things can go wrong during the process.

Talib wrote:But you're the vegan proselytizer here, so I'll let you have it.

Vegan I am not. I only favor a diet dominated by plant products.
Last edited by Tenebrarum on 2011-03-15, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-03-15, 22:13

It's actually much more endangered than the black bear.
Shucks. I'll have to shoot me a black bear then.
Eating too much meat is one of the causes of cancer. It's a proven medical fact.
I'm not disputing it, it's just not solid evidence.
Vegan I am not. I only favor a diet dominated by plant products.
Well yeah, that's how I eat too. Only the Inuit eat virtually nothing but meat.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2011-03-15, 22:33

I remember the George Carlin skit about how we don't have a problem eating ugly animals, but we won't eat cute animals :) Cows are ugly...but dolphins are cute...plus horses are supposedly smart...but if you give a horse an unlimited amount of food, it will eat itself to death :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzM ... E7BD31894E

That's some funny but true stuff.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-03-15, 23:02

Horses are probably the same as dogs: not actually smart, just good at obeying commands.

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2011-03-15, 23:21

Lenguas wrote:Just because of the nutrition? I could never bring myself to try that. I would feel so badly afterwards. It would be like wanting to eat bear meat or something. So sad.

Yes, just because of the nutrition. Why would I feel worse for eating horse than for eating cow, pork or chicken? If I had to feel bad for eating animals I'd go vegetarian, which I don't plan doing any time soon.

After all, we eat for the nutrition, don't we?

By the way, I find cows incredibly cute. But I don't care when it comes to eating.
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2011-03-16, 0:02

Delicious.
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

Oleksij

Postby Oleksij » 2011-03-17, 0:33

Draven wrote:Grains, fruits and vegetables all the way.

That's great, but I'd add some nuts to that, if you want to avoid meat altogether, but still get protein.
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
My Youtube Channel
Last.fm

Bondefanget

Postby Bondefanget » 2011-03-17, 7:49

Varislintu wrote:I would assume most horses ended up as meat after they couldn't work anymore. And there were a lot of horses. I mean it's not like people buried them. They made salami and leather and glue.

At least it makes a lot more sense to eat those horses than to bury them. They'll be of a lot more use that way. Also that probably mattered a lot earlier when people couldn't afford nearly as much as today.

loqu wrote:
Lenguas wrote:Just because of the nutrition? I could never bring myself to try that. I would feel so badly afterwards. It would be like wanting to eat bear meat or something. So sad.

Yes, just because of the nutrition. Why would I feel worse for eating horse than for eating cow, pork or chicken? If I had to feel bad for eating animals I'd go vegetarian, which I don't plan doing any time soon.

After all, we eat for the nutrition, don't we?

I'm with loqu on this one. Why would it be worse to eat horse than other animals like cow, pork or chicken?

As in other parts of Europe, eating horse meat was prohibited in Norway when christianity was forced upon the population. But of course it's not illegal any more. I don't know how common it is to eat horse meat, but definitely less so than beef, pork or chicken. I've no idea how expensive horse meat is. I've eaten it a couple of times, and it's good meat.
Looking for someone to practise [flag=]fi[/flag] with (e.g. Skype, instant messaging, etc.). Can offer to practise [flag=]no[/flag] in return :)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2011-03-17, 10:12

Talib wrote:Horses are probably the same as dogs: not actually smart, just good at obeying commands.

Well, dogs are, if I have understood correctly, the only animal we know of that can recognise human facial expressions. They are also capable of utilising human direction to solve a problem, something not even primates can do very well. In fact, it has been argued that domestication did not dumb down wolves, but rather made them smarter, at least in relation to functioning in the human environment :). Some links:

Dogs can read emotion in human faces (The Telegraph)
Horizon: The Secret Life of the Dog (BBC documentary) (Found it on Tudou.)
Why your dog is smarter than a wolf (short article about research done in Hungary)
Det finns ingen
tröst. Därför
behöver du den inte
(Gösta Ågren)

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-03-17, 14:19

I've no idea how expensive horse meat is. I've eaten it a couple of times, and it's good meat.

I could not bring myself to do it. For one thing, even though I'm not very religious, I would feel like I was commiting a huge sin, and feel guilty about it for the rest of my life. And I could not bring myself to chew it up and swallow it. I feel sick just thinking about it.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2011-03-18, 7:01

Wow. I had no idea people had such hang ups about eating horse. Do you have the same problem with gelatin, and if not why not? I guess it's not really a rational choice.

Apparently some people are arguing that we should eat more kangaroo meat because it's better for the Australian environment... It doesn't matter for me though, being a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

Yasha wrote:Not "popular", but there are just so many Chinese restaurants here and everyone has gone yum cha at least once so most people know about chicken feet.

I had never heard of the phrase "yum cha" before this thread, but I'm a banana-bender and not a worldly Sydneysider like you ;)

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2011-03-18, 7:52

Saim wrote:Apparently some people are arguing that we should eat more kangaroo meat because it's better for the Australian environment... It doesn't matter for me though, being a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

I heard it tastes like chicken.

Saim wrote:
Yasha wrote:Not "popular", but there are just so many Chinese restaurants here and everyone has gone yum cha at least once so most people know about chicken feet.

I had never heard of the phrase "yum cha" before this thread, but I'm a banana-bender and not a worldly Sydneysider like you ;)

Where abouts are you in Queensland anyway? :lol:

Return to “Culture”