Top Ten Reasons For Being...

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator: Forum Administrators

mōdgethanc

Re: Top Ten Reasons For Being...

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-03-14, 17:52

Whassup my negro.
I once went to a Chinese restaurant that had chicken feet on the menu.
Not that weird. Tiết canh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiet_canh) is weird.

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2011-03-14, 19:28

Hao Ran wrote:Well. I think even the younger generation still eats some things that most Americans or Brits wouldn't touch. I, for instance, eat century eggs, which a number of Westerners seem to freak out about (there was apparently a Fear Factor episode about it).

If i can eat some balut without puking on first try, I'm sure I can take a century egg or two.
Neferuj paħujkij!

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2011-03-14, 20:35

Lenguas wrote:
Ideas in the West about what we put in our mouths can be a little blown out of proportion sometimes.

I dunno. I once went to a Chinese restaurant that had chicken feet on the menu.

Over here, that sounds normal. :lol:

Although I wouldn't touch the stuff anyway.

I have had century egg and it's not bad, but there's no way I'm touching balut. I'm not a big fan of Vietnamese cuisine either.

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-03-14, 20:39

Over here, that sounds normal.

Really? That's popular in Australia?

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2011-03-14, 20:57

Not "popular", but there are just so many Chinese restaurants here and everyone has gone yum cha at least once so most people know about chicken feet.

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-03-14, 21:03

Yasha wrote:yum cha

I had to look that one up.
According to Wikipedia: "In the US and UK, the phrase dim sum is often used in place of yum cha".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yum_cha

Hao Ran

Postby Hao Ran » 2011-03-15, 9:23

I dunno. I once went to a Chinese restaurant that had chicken feet on the menu.

I'll be perfectly honest and say this: what's wrong with that? :P I'll be honest: it isn't actually that terrible. Chicken feet is a perfectly decent source of nutrients, and it is actually tender if you steam it well.

Chicken feet is about the least weird of foods Chinese people can serve up. There is a story my friend told me of a cousin who was in China and wanted a pet dog. She pointed the dog out to the shopkeeper who proceeded into a backroom with the dog, emerged several moments later and ... handed over a plastic bag to her. It's an anecdote, so take it (the story, that is) with as much salt as you wish, but it's just one of those things that even fellow Chinese occasionally freak out about. What this really means is that while there are people who eat things like dogs and bears, it's not otherwise as accepted or common as some people may assume. But they do happen.

I heard a theory about how the difference between how Chinese and Western/European people perceive animals that determine how they use them for food. The Chinese term for "animal", 动物, literally means "moving thing"; on the other hand, many European languages derive their term from the Latin animus, i.e. "soul". Of course, it's just a theory, but it's food for thought anyway.

Uh. Food for thought. Hmm.

BezierCurve

Postby BezierCurve » 2011-03-15, 10:12

As for the chicken feet, I knew a doctor (a Polish guy) who used to "prescribe" them for kids having problems with their bone structure (or maybe just their knees?). Some parents said it helped.
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

"I love tautologies, they're so ... tautological." Hunef

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-03-15, 14:15

Chicken feet is about the least weird of foods Chinese people can serve up. There is a story my friend told me of a cousin who was in China and wanted a pet dog. She pointed the dog out to the shopkeeper who proceeded into a backroom with the dog, emerged several moments later and ... handed over a plastic bag to her. It's an anecdote, so take it (the story, that is) with as much salt as you wish, but it's just one of those things that even fellow Chinese occasionally freak out about

I saw that on the 3 Stooges. Although it was the three stooges that appeared to do something like that. A dog escaped from the kitchen, and one of the stooges ran out waving a knife around. Finally he caught the dog, and went back to the kitchen, dragging the dog with him. Then you hear some loud chopping noises and the dog barking every time, with a very pitiful loud bark at the end. It turns out they are chopping up some chicken or something, and the dog is bothered by the noise. They bring it out, and the (Middle Eastern) people to whom they serve it cannot bring themselves to eat it. When they finally attempt to eat it, they hear barking noises everytime they take a bite. (They think it is the ghost of the dog.) They just cannot bring themselves to eat it.

The Chinese term for "animal", 动物, literally means "moving thing"; on the other hand, many European languages derive their term from the Latin animus, i.e. "soul".

I have no idea animal came from animus. It was just a word to me. Although "moving thing" reminds me too much of certain types of Klingon food.

As for the chicken feet, I knew a doctor (a Polish guy) who used to "prescribe" them for kids having problems with their bone structure (or maybe just their knees?). Some parents said it helped.

Because of the old hypothesis, if something is like something else (child's bone structure vs. chicken bones), bumps on ones feet vs. internal organs that resembel the bumps, it must help medically?

Chicken feet is about the least weird of foods Chinese people can serve up.

No, fried rice, chow mein, most soups, and chicken are about the least weird foods Chinese people can serve. Chicken feet is way on the opposite end of the spectrum.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-03-15, 18:10

Most Westerners don't consider animals to have "souls" in the human sense either (that is, sapience, ability to reason), which is why most of us have no problem using them for food or as draft animals. The number of animals that are taboo for Westerners but not Asians is probably pretty small, and it varies anyway (some Europeans have no problem eating horse; most North Americans never would).

The story about the couple who brings their dog to a Chinese restaurant and the staff ends up cooking it is an old canard. It never happened. As far as I know, dog isn't popular in China anyway. It's more of a Korean thing.
According to Wikipedia: "In the US and UK, the phrase dim sum is often used in place of yum cha".
So much that I've never heard anyone call it yum cha. It's always dim sum (and that refers to the food, not the restaurant).

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-03-15, 18:18

some Europeans have no problem eating horse

I thought the Church decided that eating horse was a sin, so people wouldn't eat it unless they would starve otherwise.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-03-15, 18:22

They might have discouraged it a thousand years ago, when Europe was still being Christianized, but I'm not aware they have any current prohibitions against it. Besides not all Europeans are Catholics.

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-03-15, 18:27

Talib wrote:thousand years ago

I don't know about that. I heard some of my older relatives talking about how things were in their parents, grandparents, and great-grandparent's time, and they were talking about the moral decision about whther to eat horse meat or not.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2011-03-15, 18:30

I'm not sure how much of that is due to religion and how much is just cultural. (Of course, they overlap.) Where were your grandparents from?

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2011-03-15, 19:32

It probably is nothing more than people being extremely averse to killing an animal that was both expensive and needed nearly everyday as of 50-100 years ago.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-03-15, 19:34

I wouldn't eat it. That's for sure.

Oleksij

Postby Oleksij » 2011-03-15, 21:27

Horse may not have been consumed routinely, as KingHarvest noted, because horses were needed in pre-industrial Europe, but dragoons' horses would have been eaten in dire cases, as were older horses.

I heard that horse meat has an excellent protein-to-fat nutritional ratio. I wouldn't mind trying it one day.
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
My Youtube Channel
Last.fm

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2011-03-15, 21:31

Talib wrote:
So much that I've never heard anyone call it yum cha. It's always dim sum (and that refers to the food, not the restaurant).

Over here, when we say yum cha, we mean the act of sitting there, drinking tea, eating dim sum and being disrespected by the trolley servants.

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Postby loqu » 2011-03-15, 21:34

Oleksij wrote:I heard that horse meat has an excellent protein-to-fat nutritional ratio. I wouldn't mind trying it one day.

I was going to say that I wouldn't try horse meat, but then I read this. I'd certainly have a try then.
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-03-15, 21:34

The word "yum cha" is simply not used here at all, unless you're a Chinese immigrant, perhaps.

I was going to say that I wouldn't try horse meat, but then I read this. I'd certainly have a try then.

Just because of the nutrition? I could never bring myself to try that. I would feel so badly afterwards. It would be like wanting to eat bear meat or something. So sad.

Return to “Culture”