The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-05-16, 14:28

TheStrayCat wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Israel's was not so great, but my God, that is the gayest Eurovision song I have ever seen (important contextual note: I have seen very few Eurovision songs)

Then you probably missed Conchita?

Yeah, I have seen a picture or two of Conchita but probably only on Wikipedia and never in an actual song.
md0 wrote:I think the song would have fared better if Andromache sang fully in Greek.

I would have loved it if she had sung fully in Greek and instantly given it more points! (I might even have ranked it over Moldova).
As for Israel, I'll be very happy if they gave the Israeli broadcaster a year's suspension from the competition. Apparently Michael Ben David has been extremely disruptive on and off stage and made a lot of people uncomfortable with what seems to sometimes border on sexual harassment. It was certainly satisfying to see him flop in the semifinal.

Oof!

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2022-05-16, 14:51

vijayjohn wrote:
TheStrayCat wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Israel's was not so great, but my God, that is the gayest Eurovision song I have ever seen (important contextual note: I have seen very few Eurovision songs)

Yeah, I have seen a picture or two of Conchita but probably only on Wikipedia and never in an actual song.

You should listen to Rise like a phoenix, people loved it. :)

vijayjohn wrote:Okay, md0, I normally completely ignore Eurovision, but your list got me too curious (and entertained) to do that this time. I watched at least parts of some of the songs. If I was voting, I would've given France top points just for singing in Breton, mostly just because I am so fucking sick of everyone singing in English and this is only the third time in the contest's entire history that anyone has sung a song in a Celtic language (but it also sounds like a really good song!). Of course I loved Moldova's song, but I also liked Slovenia's, Iceland's, Cyprus's, and, to be honest, even Portugal's. Portugal's is in English, but at least it's about something culturally specific. (Cyprus's is also mostly in English, but hey, it has Greek in it!).

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who liked France, Iceland, and Cyprus! I'm still shocked how little love they got from the public & juries. :(

Naava wrote:
md0 wrote:Apparently there were shenanigans with the jury vote in six countries.

They couldn't contact them for live feed for some reason. I saw someone joke about it online, saying it was easier to get in contact with someone in space than those six countries in Europe [in the Eurovision sense].

Also, you were right md0: there was something shady going on:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-05-16, 18:12

Naava wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:
TheStrayCat wrote:

You should listen to Rise like a phoenix, people loved it. :)

Okay, I listened to most of it just now. It's a good song, but it doesn't look gay to me at all. (Perhaps I'm not watching the right video of the song?)
I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who liked France, Iceland, and Cyprus! I'm still shocked how little love they got from the public & juries. :(

I didn't realize even France got so little love. I'm pretty sure one of my friends outside of UniLang really hates France's policies regarding minority languages, and I remember she's said more than once that she finds France even worse about racism than both the US and the UK. She was taken by surprise when I told her that France's entry was in Breton, probably not knowing that it has actually had entries that were at least partly in minority languages several times already.

md0

Postby md0 » 2022-05-16, 22:55

Yeah, describing it as a gay performance or song is not really accurate. Conchita is the drag persona of a cis gay man, but it's not "gay" in the same way Israel's song this year was.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-05-17, 2:23

Yeah, exactly! This one is just dripping with clichés in mainstream Western gay culture. The ripped jock with the backwards cap, the cute nude men smiling at the camera, the hiiigh-piiitched pop song, the twirling...

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2022-05-21, 10:25

Youse are too passionate for Eurovision for being non-Europeans.

md0

Postby md0 » 2023-03-04, 11:06

Last night was Germany's national final and hell must have frozen over because they (well, we, I voted) chose a good song.
I didn't know Lord Of The Lost before, but I went through their back-catalogue, and they are totally my jam

Winner's reprise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsfAWzQiA44

Original performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQAhxwY0XY

Studio version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I9CYu668jA

With that, I declare it an open season on ESC 2023 and will start catching up with what other countries are doing for this year.
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-03-04, 15:54

Estonia's entry:
Alika - Bridges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojjpvhti2gE

Ukraine's:
Tvorchi - Heart of Steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxDEwIyJap8

And Spain's:
Blanca Paloma - Eaea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8W7qWM80UU

md0

Postby md0 » 2023-05-11, 23:49

This year I didn't get to follow ESC in the lead up to the actual competition, so I'm way less invested into the songs.

Still, I'm pleased as punch that the following will be competing in the final
Who The Hell Is Edgar? | Austria 🇦🇹(My favourite, I think)
Promise | Australia 🇦🇺 (For the first time AU is so good that I cannot pretend they are not part of this)
Duje | 🇦🇱 Albania (AL Always representing our shared musical heritage in a technically solid way)
I Wrote A Song | United Kingdom 🇬🇧 (I don't know why UK last year did so well, but it finally made them care and it's worth it)
Carpe Diem | Slovenia 🇸🇮 (Not my favourite song, but the qualification that pleased me the most. Those guys where having so much fun on stage, they deserve their spot in the final)
Soarele şi Luna | Moldova 🇲🇩 (Wild Pagan vibes and the usual Moldovan attention to what the people, not juries, want)
Queen of Kings | Norway 🇳🇴 (The lyrics are only a step up from Finland's last year to be honest, but a better overall performance)
Samo Mi Se Spava | Serbia 🇷🇸 (One of this year's dark horses, in my opinion, could repeat last year's fifth place. Serbia is on track for another win in this decade, I'm sure)
Blood & Glitter | Germany 🇩🇪 (Germany's best song in my lifetime and Chris Harms one of the most competent singers this year. I loved the band's back catalogue and listened to many older interviews of the guy and he's such a nice person. Would be my favourite if it wasn't for Austria stealing Germany's thunder again)
Cha Cha Cha | Finland 🇫🇮 (Techno is not my thing, but this guy is such a sweetheart and gives a very good show on stage)

We lost two greats along the way. Malta and Latvia did very well, but their semifinal was extremely competitive while the other semifinal barely had 5 good songs.

Return to “Culture”