Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

This forum is to learn about foreign cultures and habits, because language skills are not everything you need as a world citizen...

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Antea
Re: Which movie(s) have you watched lately?

Postby Antea » 2020-08-15, 14:35

I just watched this film (Hindi/English)

aradii

Postby aradii » 2020-10-24, 15:41

Finished knives out and I think the direction is great, the performances are wonderful, and the pace is mostly good and the movie is a completely enjoyable, highly recommended.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2020-10-28, 21:04

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-10-31, 20:22

There was a really stupid controversy regarding that movie, and I remember arguing with dumb-ass Hindu trolls over it on Reddit who didn't even know the fucking story. This is pretty outrageous because it is an old and fairly well-known Indian story told even to children.

I recently watched "Turning Muslim in Texas." It's about white right-wingers in Texas converting to Islam. I find it pretty disturbing tbh.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-11-03, 15:20

Руса́лка. О́зеро мёртвых (2018 )/ Mermaid: Lake of the Dead (2018 )

I got the DVD which is rare for me, but I had to see it in the original Russian. I can't say much without saying too much, but it's about a water spirit that haunts and kills people but we don't know why till it's nearing the end of the film. Definitely a good film. I think it's one of the best horror films I've watched recently and that's mainly what I watch
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2020-11-20, 6:32

Månereisen på Netflix. Jeg tror det kalles "Over the Moon" på engelsk, men jeg så på det på norsk.

"Devil at the Crossroads" på engelsk. Om en legendarisk amerikansk gitarist. Også på Netflix. Jeg ser på nesten alt på Netflix.
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-03-10, 16:50

I now teach Malayalam on the South Asian Languages server on Discord (for free), and they've been having a few movie nights lately. I saw the end of a Hindi movie called Secret Superstar and later a Tamil movie called KD. They were meh.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-10-27, 15:35

I saw the new Dune opening night and already saw it twice. I loved it so much. I think it became one of my top ten favorite movies but I also loved the book. I cannot wait for part 2.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-10-29, 0:03

You are the first person that loved both book and film I am reading.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-29, 0:34

You mean both a movie you saw and a book you're reading?

Osias

Postby Osias » 2021-10-30, 15:45

vijayjohn wrote:You mean both a movie you saw and a book you're reading?

I mean I'm reading the person.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2021-11-06, 7:30

I watched "Ready player one" about a multiverse world, and "The circle" about the power of the Gafam. Liked both of them.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-11-08, 18:11

Osias wrote:You are the first person that loved both book and film I am reading.

I've read the book a long time ago and have been a huge fan of the series. I think this was the best book adaptation I have seen. It cuts some things but is also extremely faithful. I really loved the Gom Jabbar scene, it was practically word for word the book and was awesome. Also, Timothee Chalamet was just perfect as Paul.

I saw Eternals last weekend and I usually love MCU but this movie wasn't great. I feel like I am getting tired of the mcu and this movie was really dull. I loved Shang-Chi though. I also saw the My Hero Academia Movie and The French Dispatch both were good.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2021-11-16, 6:36

Meera wrote:I saw the new Dune opening night and already saw it twice. I loved it so much. I think it became one of my top ten favorite movies but I also loved the book. I cannot wait for part 2.

Moi aussi j'ai regardé Dune au cinéma. Je n'ai pas lu les romans, mais j'ai beaucoup aimé le film. Très beau.
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

topazann

Postby topazann » 2022-01-10, 23:35

In the Mood for Love (2000)

Directed by Wong Kar-wai. Everything about this film is dripping with romance. Every frame, every gesture, every moment. If you really want to watch a stunner, a flat out incredible romance flick, check this one out. Just incredible.

azhong

Postby azhong » 2022-01-17, 11:07

topazann wrote:In the Mood for Love (2000)

Directed by Wong Kar-wai. Everything about this film is dripping with romance. Every frame, every gesture, every moment. If you really want to watch a stunner, a flat out incredible romance flick, check this one out. Just incredible.

Thank you for your recommendation, I've seen it, and love it, too. It's Chinese title is 花樣年華, literally at the period of being flower-like. The term is usually to narrate a young female, naturally.

In the film there are many delicate arrangements that you have to pay attention and then to think about it, or you won't understand some subtleties of the story. It is a classic film of my culture speaking a dialect of my language. But when I watched a YouTube short film commenting it after I've finished watching the film, I found there were still a lot of details I didn't catch. The director said the story in a very obscure tone.

It's aesthetic style is also very creative. You can see the atmosphere in 1960's in Hong Kong and some Chinese culture at the time. The director is a great one among Chinese directors. I recommend it, too.

Eireannach

Postby Eireannach » 2022-01-20, 15:52

Hey,

I recently watched 'The Hunt' which is a Danish film, I quite enjoyed the story and it show's how tribal we can get when it comes to our children.
Learning Spanish @ Lingua Fonica

md0

Postby md0 » 2022-03-11, 23:16

Just watched The Pirates of Penzance (1983), to find out where the Modern Major General song comes from, and wow, that was amazing. Comedy that really holds up (all the way from the 1880s apparently), and quite on-point with the political satire.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2022-03-12, 0:08

I watched Dune a couple of months ago and loved it. I like the book too and never thought I'd see a good adaptation of it.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2022-03-12, 1:02

md0 wrote:Just watched The Pirates of Penzance (1983), to find out where the Modern Major General song comes from, and wow, that was amazing. Comedy that really holds up (all the way from the 1880s apparently), and quite on-point with the political satire.

Now there's a good idea. I might just watch it too.

Return to “Culture”