Ebassy question

'''
Ebassy question

Postby ''' » 2008-12-09, 12:25

I'm looking for anyone who knows anything about Embassies. Specifically, I'm looking into possibly working part time at the Hungarian Embassy in Canberra. Not in a consular capacity or anything, but I figured since I have dual citizenship, and I'm bilingual, and about to study languages at university, they could use me. Alas, their website, officially www.matra.com.au/~hungemb, is down, or unreachable.
The problem is, I don't know anything about Embassies, so I have no idea if you can even drop by and apply for a job, or if you need some sort of special embassy training, or special qualifications. Anyone help me out?
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

Eoghan

Re: Ebassy question

Postby Eoghan » 2008-12-09, 22:40

I've always wanted to work at an embassy and I'm bilingual as well, and speak a couple of other languages, ranging from being fluent to having a basic command of the language, and one of my cousins (once again from the rich side of my family tree) is working at an embassy, and he got the job, mainly because he studied social science and languages at university. I cannot speak for Hungary, but if you wish to work at eg. The Swedish Embassy to the UN, I just stole the application description from the Embassy's homepage;

"TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT DURING SWEDEN’S PRESIDENCY OF THE EUROPAN UNION 2009 - LOCALLY ENGAGED OFFICE CLERK/LOGISTICS ASSISTANT/ DRIVER

The Permanent Mission of Sweden to the United Nations is looking for a office clerk/logistics assistant/driver during one year starting January 2009.

Main Duties: As a member of the Mission’s front desk team handle meeting services, clerical duties deliveries, pick-ups and regular mail, minor repairs and office maintenance, back-up at the switch board and front desk. Drive mission cars to meetings, functions and airports.

Requirements: Applicant must demonstrate flexibility, excellent time management and communication skills and knowledge of different software packages (e.g. Word, Excel etc.). Excellent written and oral communication skills in Swedish and English.

Only candidates with a US citizenship or “green card” and a valid US driver’s license will be considered. "

'''

Postby ''' » 2008-12-10, 9:42

Note to self, get that goddamn license already

Thanks for the reply. Well my skills in Hungarian are hardly outstanding but since I topped the HSC course in it, I may convince them otherwise, initially at least.

As far as the tasks are concerned, I'd be happy with that, and as a uni student I'm flexible. Hmm, by some weird twisted glitch I may actaully be able to pull this off.
(en)(hu) - native

Oleksij

Postby Oleksij » 2008-12-10, 14:46

Hmm, I used to be in the embassies 'business'... Many embassies employ locals, but it varies according to embassy size and the scale of relations they have with the host country. My guess would be that the Hungarian embassy in Australia wouldn't be too big. Unless you actually have previously worked at the Foreign Ministry, I don't think you could count on anything more than sitting at the visitors desk and accepting applications and then helping the consul sort them.
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
Youtube Channel

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-12-10, 18:45

In Finland I've heard of the Germany Embassy and the British Embassy giving out places, but the downside is you don't get paid for them. Just a nice thing on your CV.
Native: English
Fluent: Finnish
Want to resuscitate: German
Actively learning: Hebrew
Wishes she had time for: Northern Sámi
En usko humalaan.

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2008-12-10, 20:58

"TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT DURING SWEDEN’S PRESIDENCY OF THE EUROPAN UNION 2009 - LOCALLY ENGAGED OFFICE CLERK/LOGISTICS ASSISTANT/ DRIVER

Europan.

:D
Neferuj paħujkij!

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-12-10, 21:12

Illiterate f00l wrote:TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT DURING SWEDEN’S PRESIDENCY OF THE EUROPAN UNION 2009 - Excellent written and oral communication skills in Swedish and English.

Meheheheh.
En usko humalaan.

Eoghan

Postby Eoghan » 2008-12-10, 22:23

Steisi wrote:
Illiterate f00l wrote:TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT DURING SWEDEN’S PRESIDENCY OF THE EUROPAN UNION 2009 - Excellent written and oral communication skills in Swedish and English.

Meheheheh.

No, you're kidding me, I didn't even see that misspelling - Oh I am so going to bother them about this, mowahahahaahah!!!

'''

Postby ''' » 2008-12-11, 6:01

Oleksij wrote:I don't think you could count on anything more than sitting at the visitors desk and accepting applications and then helping the consul sort them.

Well that's kinda what I was thinking too. I'm not looking to be a diplomat, just to work in the building.
(en)(hu) - native

loqu

Postby loqu » 2008-12-11, 7:27

Embassies, eww. Don't want to have anything to do with them since I was together with the son of an ambassador. Their world is so poshy and spoilt.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

'''

Postby ''' » 2008-12-11, 8:58

I heard a guy on the chat say they're the most beaurocratic places on earth
(en)(hu) - native

Eoghan

Postby Eoghan » 2008-12-11, 10:18

''' wrote:I heard a guy on the chat say they're the most beaurocratic places on earth

To me, embassies seem to be the most fantastic places on earth, prolly because I was raised by poor workers but have relatives from the rich side of the family working in different embassies around the world :D

Oleksij

Postby Oleksij » 2008-12-11, 12:52

Eoghan wrote:
''' wrote:I heard a guy on the chat say they're the most beaurocratic places on earth

To me, embassies seem to be the most fantastic places on earth, prolly because I was raised by poor workers but have relatives from the rich side of the family working in different embassies around the world :D

Scratch off the surface and you'll see a world of jealousy, privilege, greed and hypocrisy. :roll:
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
Youtube Channel

'''

Postby ''' » 2008-12-11, 13:55

I just love how they count as foreign soil. Somethign abotu that is so cool.
I know a guy at uni who's the son of the Croation consuls. Nice guy, not a dick.
(en)(hu) - native

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-12-11, 14:54

I taught English to the wife and son of the Polish consul to Finland and they were a lovely family, all of them. <3 Even their dog. Nothing spoilt about them, they were just like normal people who happened to have an insanely well-paid job :D
En usko humalaan.

'''

Postby ''' » 2008-12-11, 15:40

How insane are we talking here? Me on a sugar rush or the full blown Son of Sam?
(en)(hu) - native

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-12-11, 19:21

Pretty damn well-paid, I should imagine :D