Household devices

Levo
Re: Household devices

Postby Levo » 2008-12-08, 19:33

hreru wrote: you will think over buying a new fridge if you must be on a waiting list to get it and then you'll get the one that's just come to the shop and only at home you see what you've bought.

:lol: Yes! My parents told me the same about cars, flats and almost about every bigger stuff.

Well, Lada also wrote good things, those stuffs, not only the Soviet, but the Hungarian ones also worked pretty fine.
And nowadays "Ohh, buy a BOSCH! It is good for as long as 5 years! :o" - :? Is that long?

The design was awful indeed, and of course they must have been mended quite often.

As I wrote kitchen appliances were different :P They were everything but not practical.
And cars also - I always vomitted in our zhiguli, and all Eastern cars broke down all the time.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-12-08, 19:35

Bolek wrote:Most of the older appliances in my house is made by Gorenje and they are not that different from newer ones in physical look. But I don't understand why would anyone want to use old TV sets. Not even my technophobic grandparents want to go back to something with only 10 channels and no remote. :nope: The still hold on to an old vacuum-cleaner though. I'll have to find a way to sabotage it. :P

Bolek, our new washing machine is Whirlpool and I was strongly thinking if we should've bought Gorenje instead since maybe it has - of tradition - some long-lasting in it :lol: (though things were different "down at the Yugós")

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-12-08, 21:42

Levo wrote:And nowadays "Ohh, buy a BOSCH! It is good for as long as 5 years! :o" - :? Is that long?

lol BOSCH - my mother used to work in tv and when I was little they used BOSCH cameras, which were all crap and when they eventualy got thrown out and then they had a party which got named "The Funeral of BOSCH" - when it comes to BOSCH I always remember that it has allready been burried. I once asked my mom, if it had something to do with quality, she said that BOSCH is good, but those cameras were really old. Now I wonder, if stuff acctualy is worse these days or is it just because people buy new stuff instead of trying to repair broken things/leaving faults unnoticed (from stories I've heard no one cared that some device was emiting electric sparks in Soviet times as long it could be used for what it was made for)

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2008-12-09, 0:54

I don't notice any difference in the quality of the appliances we had when I was a young child and those we have now.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-12-10, 11:23

KingHarvest wrote:I don't notice any difference in the quality of the appliances we had when I was a young child and those we have now.

Because you live in the USA :lol:

jaybee

Postby jaybee » 2008-12-10, 11:26

Vogelvrij wrote:O, but seriously, they make things with worse quality just so that you have to buy new ones more often.
Today, that's a very important marketing tactic.

I'm not sure what considers as 'old' appliances, but we have some here that are older than I am. Or at least I remember having some. They don't all work.. mainly because a battery is missing or the wire is burnt or some other external reason. They do lack the technologies in today's appliances, but they seem to have this durability that isn't available nowadays, unless it's part of the 'features' of a certain device. It seems that the more technology they put into something, the more fragile it will be.
I remember one day when my mother was cleaning out one of the drawers that haven't been opened in a while. I came across lots of really old stuff. An old radio that belonged to my dad, a calculator, and a recorder. They all worked as if they were brand new. I know that if they were one of the newer devices, and for the period of time they were stored without usage, they wouldn't be working that well.

kibo

Postby kibo » 2008-12-10, 12:15

Levo wrote:
Bolek wrote:Most of the older appliances in my house is made by Gorenje and they are not that different from newer ones in physical look. But I don't understand why would anyone want to use old TV sets. Not even my technophobic grandparents want to go back to something with only 10 channels and no remote. :nope: The still hold on to an old vacuum-cleaner though. I'll have to find a way to sabotage it. :P

Bolek, our new washing machine is Whirlpool and I was strongly thinking if we should've bought Gorenje instead since maybe it has - of tradition - some long-lasting in it :lol: (though things were different "down at the Yugós")

Oh, who knows, maybe they got westernized. :lol:

Ours is Indesit. I don't have any complaints. ^^
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Return to “General Topics”