It's the end of the world :LOL:

Strigo
It's the end of the world :LOL:

Postby Strigo » 2008-09-10, 14:26

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you unilanguists who've been really nice to me and kind now that we might possibly die because of a handmade black hole that would destroy everything around us.

Thanks!
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

Eoghan

Re: It's the end of the world :LOL:

Postby Eoghan » 2008-09-10, 14:39

Oh, don't worry we survived the test :lol: But I am still sort of disturbed by the fact that some proffessors believe that they could do whatever they want - no matter how safe it sounds, it's still a far too big risk to take until every possible result has been investigated and analyzed...

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2008-09-10, 16:20

Well, I heard that a tiny black hole may need a couple of years to build up enough clout to have a noticeable effect. So survived and survived, who knows ;).

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2008-09-10, 17:29

The real world-ending experiment will happen sometime in October, what they did today was more like turning it on or something. Anyway, I'm much more worried by the comparatively very likely prospect of being killed by falling Soviet satellites.
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

'''

Postby ''' » 2008-09-10, 17:40

Eoghan wrote:But I am still sort of disturbed by the fact that some proffessors believe that they could do whatever they want - no matter how safe it sounds, it's still a far too big risk to take until every possible result has been investigated and analyzed...

1- The whole black hole thing is bullshit. Do the maths, seriously, it's ridiculous. The rumours were started by people who have little to no understanding of the situation and wanted to make a stir. Even if a black hole was created it'd evaporate far too fast to do any damage. Ergo, there is NO risk. it's like me saying that learning to speak Hungarian will make your brain explode. It just can't happen.

2- VE ARE ABOVE ZE LAW!

3- every possible result has been analysed. We call this process physics. We're doing the experiment to see whether certain details of our understanding seem to hold true. In order for things to go THAT wrong our understanding would have to be so wrong that it would have hit us by now.
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

Balaur

Postby Balaur » 2008-09-10, 20:15

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the entire world were swallowed up be a black hole, as long as it swallowed up everything. Then we wouldn't have anything more to worry about! :wink: But I really don't think that anything is going to happen with this Large Hadron Collider.

Persönlich, es würde mir nichts ausmachen, wenn die ganze Welt von einem schwarzem Loch verschlucken würde, so lange wie es ganz alles verschlucken würde. Dann müssten wir uns um nichts mehr sorgen! :wink: Ich denke, aber, dass mit diesem Großen Hadronen-Speicherring nichts passieren wird.
Vă rog să mă corectați dacă fac o greșeală în orice limbă. // Вэ рог сэ мэ коректаць дакэ фак о грешялэ ын орьче лимбэ. // Please correct me if I make a mistake in any language. // Bitte korrigiert mich, wenn ich einen Fehler in irgendeiner Sprache mache. // 請改正我任何語言中的錯誤。 // 请改正我任何语言中的错误。 // Παρακαλώ να με διορθώνουν αν κάνω ένα λάθο σε οποιηδήποτε γλώσσα.

Glowim

Postby Glowim » 2008-09-11, 7:05

''' wrote:- every possible result has been analysed. We call this process physics. We're doing the experiment to see whether certain details of our understanding seem to hold true. In order for things to go THAT wrong our understanding would have to be so wrong that it would have hit us by now.

According to the phisic law we know! But scientist are not so sure about that law (at that high energetic condition). If not, there woundn't be any need to make these kind of test...

Anyway I agree: who thinks a black hole would destroy the world, is scientificly ignorant. And anyway if the world is destroied, well, it means the universe is will be safe by humans!!

Eoghan

Postby Eoghan » 2008-09-11, 8:13

Glowim wrote:
''' wrote:- every possible result has been analysed. We call this process physics. We're doing the experiment to see whether certain details of our understanding seem to hold true. In order for things to go THAT wrong our understanding would have to be so wrong that it would have hit us by now.

According to the phisic law we know! But scientist are not so sure about that law (at that high energetic condition). If not, there woundn't be any need to make these kind of test...

Anyway I agree: who thinks a black hole would destroy the world, is scientificly ignorant. And anyway if the world is destroied, well, it means the universe is will be safe by humans!!

I second that. I don't belive that a black hole will some how swallow our planet because of a test in CERN (for God's sake, I've been to CERN and the people there sure know what they're doing) but I'm not really sure wether or not the experiment is that important... Anyway, if successful, we all know who'll get this year's Nobel Prize...

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2008-09-11, 8:34

It's so weird, I had heard about this, but only from American people. It seems that it wasn't on the news in the Netherlands, until yesterday, when they were sure everything was okay :wink:
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Glowim

Postby Glowim » 2008-09-11, 9:38

Eoghan wrote: but I'm not really sure wether or not the experiment is that important... Anyway, if successful, we all know who'll get this year's Nobel Prize...

Yes, it is important. Or, at least, results that scientists hope to obtain can be very important, to confirm theories, or to create new ones, about mass, about extradimensions, about gravitiy... For common people, there won't be any change (if no black holes destroy the world..!), at least immediatly. But in decades, there could be also new technologies developed with results of these experiments... who knows?

About me, I'm scientificly ignorant but interested in it, and I'm very curious about what scientists can discover.
Please, correct my errors!

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2008-09-11, 11:03

So, what the use spending millions € in that shit? Wouldn't have it been more useful to spend them in feeding people in Africa, for example?
I'm fed up with scientists' arrogance...
And don't tell me again that without scientists I wouldn't be right now writing in this Forum: my life wouldn't be worst anyway, I don't need Internet!
Language is the best way men have found to misunderstand each other. Lycodoxos

@Emandir

loqu

Postby loqu » 2008-09-11, 11:36

Emandir wrote:So, what the use spending millions € in that shit? Wouldn't have it been more useful to spend them in feeding people in Africa, for example?

being fed up with your anti-science shit I'll give you the easy answer: no, it wouldn't. Science is more important.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Glowim

Postby Glowim » 2008-09-11, 11:51

Emandir wrote:So, what the use spending millions € in that shit? Wouldn't have it been more useful to spend them in feeding people in Africa, for example?
I'm fed up with scientists' arrogance...
And don't tell me again that without scientists I wouldn't be right now writing in this Forum: my life wouldn't be worst anyway, I don't need Internet!

..and you wouldn't have a cell phone, or a car, and on your car you couldn't use a GPS...
I could continue with examples, just because almost all of what you use someway derive from science. And about money spent, there are a lot of thing at least useless: military (it would be better avoid any military expense), but also sport expense: where is the utility for olympic games, just to make an example?

Science can help humanity and can help to improve our lives. If discoveries are well used, obviously.

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2008-09-11, 12:25

Glowim wrote:..and you wouldn't have a cell phone, or a car, and on your car you couldn't use a GPS...
I could continue with examples, just because almost all of what you use someway derive from science. And about money spent, there are a lot of thing at least useless: military (it would be better avoid any military expense), but also sport expense: where is the utility for olympic games, just to make an example?

Science can help humanity and can help to improve our lives. If discoveries are well used, obviously.

Sure, improve our lives, which doesn't mean the life of every human being...
I agree with military expenses; and shall I remind you what use man made of most of the scientfic inventions?
And you should have choose better examples than a cellphone (I've lived 30 years without one and my life was not of a Stone age man!) or a car (you'd have to know me better! :p)

@Emandir

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2008-09-11, 12:27

loqu wrote:being fed up with your anti-science shit I'll give you the easy answer: no, it wouldn't. Science is more important.

Sure, science is important: it will help you a lot when you'll be dead!

@Emandir

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2008-09-11, 13:19

Emandir, don't you smoke? Shouldn't you be feeding Africans with that money instead of burning it ;)?

loqu

Postby loqu » 2008-09-11, 13:46

Varislintu wrote:Emandir, don't you smoke? Shouldn't you be feeding Africans with that money instead of burning it ;)?

that was indeed good!!!

Car and cellphone are just a couple of examples. I bet you use a washing machine and a fridge. Both are made by engineers who based their work on science.

And anyway, I don't get your point, Emandir, of helping me when I'm dead.
Let people enjoy things.

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2008-09-11, 14:50

Varislintu wrote:Emandir, don't you smoke? Shouldn't you be feeding Africans with that money instead of burning it ;)?

Excuse me, but that's stupid! As far as you know, I can be giving money to some relief agency!
-----
Try to think and understand what people say when you post an answers, guys!
Of course I have a cellphone, and I watch TV, and travel by train, and would be completely lost without electricity and running water!
That's absolutely not what I'm talking about!
People have lived during thousands years without all that shit, it was far to be easy, but are we happier?
Sure, it's easy to live in our little closed word with all its comfort.
It's easy to accept anything they say on TV.
It's easy just to say: "Wow! What a great experiment!" without even thinking about what it means really...
You can make fun of what I say as long as you want, I don't even care.
I'm just happy to be still conscious of the world I'm living in and being able to rebel myself, at my own little level....
Just think!

@Emandir

loqu

Postby loqu » 2008-09-11, 15:38

Emandir, le schtroumpf grognon

:P
Let people enjoy things.

Glowim

Postby Glowim » 2008-09-11, 15:40

Emandir wrote:Sure, improve our lives, which doesn't mean the life of every human being...
I agree with military expenses; and shall I remind you what use man made of most of the scientfic inventions?
And you should have choose better examples than a cellphone (I've lived 30 years without one and my life was not of a Stone age man!) or a car (you'd have to know me better! :p)

Science is not good. It is not bad. Bad or good is what you do with science.
It CAN improve human lives, but it can also get them worse. But in my opinion, stopping it for warning about use is wrong. I think science must go ahead. But it is not enough, because we must apply science result in a good way and to everybody. Hard do to, peraphs almsot impossible..

Emandir wrote:It's easy to accept anything they say on TV.
It's easy just to say: "Wow! What a great experiment!" without even thinking about what it means really...
You can make fun of what I say as long as you want, I don't even care.
I'm just happy to be still conscious of the world I'm living in and being able to rebel myself, at my own little level....
Just think!

In fact, I don't accept what TV says, because TV says that this experiment is dangerous, etc. And I have an idea of what scientist are doing, and I know results won't be usefull for us within a few years. But looking at history, I see that science have improved our lives..we are not happier, but we can live easier, and longer with science results than before. And it's not a fault of science if there are people who cannot live well. You say we should spend money better than using in this experiment. I say that there are a lot of other things where we should not spend money, before removing money from science.
And I'm happy if you think with your head, even if you have different ideas from me. If all of us had all the same ideas, this world would be so boring...!

@loqu: nice picture!!!

Return to “General Topics”