Falsehood

Formiko
Re: Falsehood

Postby Formiko » 2008-08-27, 7:36

I feel better now. I thought only the US had dummies like that :) I'm glad we've spread our charm across the ocean. I was talking to a guy once who went on this whole diatribe about how he hated all the Koreans taking over all the local stores. Then he said "I mean, they act like they can't understand the Chinese people who are here too". I said to him "Umm..Chinese and Korean are about as different as English and Spanish", His reponse? "Why can't they talk to the Mexicans then??"
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2008-08-27, 19:40

This reminds me of a story my father told me.
It was the time when our family lived in a village at the German-French border, and I had started learning Modern Greek. One day, my father bought me a Greek newspaper. He showed it to Eier-Peter - a man with limited intellectual capabilities who had lived in that village for all his life, and who earned a little money selling the eggs of the chickens he kept in his garden. Peter saw the newspaper written in the Greek alphabet and said: "That's French, isn't it?" :shock:

I have just checked it on Google Earth. That guy lived 1140 meters away from France...

Sheidhaf

Postby Sheidhaf » 2008-08-29, 0:31

I was talking in Russian to a friend of mine the other day (he doesn't speak Russian, but he wanted to hear how it sounded) and someone walks by and he says something along the lines of "Oh, speaking Turkish now are we?" Apparently, he had heard the word Русский, which he thought meant a Turk for some reason. :?:

Balaur

Postby Balaur » 2008-08-29, 0:51

A kid looking at a website in Japanese: "Is that Spanish?"

It's forgivable, though, because he was only like nine years old.

Un copil uitând la un website pe japoneză: „Îi spaniolă aia?‟

Dar e scuzabil, că avea numai cam nouă ani.

Ein Kind ansehend eine Website auf Japanisch: „Ist das Spanisch?‟

Aber es ist entschuldbar, denn er war nur ungefährlich neun Jahre alt

一個孩子看一個用日文的網站:“這是西班牙語嗎?”

但是可以包涵他,因為他只九歲。
Vă rog să mă corectați dacă fac o greșeală în orice limbă. // Вэ рог сэ мэ коректаць дакэ фак о грешялэ ын орьче лимбэ. // Please correct me if I make a mistake in any language. // Bitte korrigiert mich, wenn ich einen Fehler in irgendeiner Sprache mache. // 請改正我任何語言中的錯誤。 // 请改正我任何语言中的错误。 // Παρακαλώ να με διορθώνουν αν κάνω ένα λάθο σε οποιηδήποτε γλώσσα.

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2008-08-29, 4:44

When I travel abroad with my friends and speak Romanian, everybody thinks we're Bulgarians(''Oh Bulgaria,nice'')
It happened to me in the Czech Republic,it happened to me in France and it happened to me in Russia!

Cassielle

Postby Cassielle » 2008-10-03, 16:26

I was in a bar (this is a frequent occurrence) and the topic of something language-related came up and I ended up arguing with this guy (a not-so-frequent occurrence) about Hungarian being in the same language family as Finnish. But it gets much weirder, and of course touched briefly upon how Finnish is allegedly *so* related to Swedish, Norwegian, etc. and therefore couldn't possibly be anything like Hungarian.

3 shots of Jägermeister later, he was still telling me I was wrong and why and, were it not for all the said Jägermeister (also a rather frequent occurrence), I'd be better able to remember some of the more ridiculous points. "Slavic" was brought up by him a few times, in regards to the Hungarians and their language family. Pardon me while I go tell my Hungarian relatives that they are actually speaking something Slavic. And apparently not speaking something from the Finno-Ugric language family. Loan-words aside.

Eventually, I just went to the bathroom to escape the conversation because it was irritating me, and arguing about grammar structures and things of that nature gets more difficult as the night goes on in that situation (thankfully a not-so-frequent occurrence).
And so, may Evil beware and may Good dress warmly and eat plenty of fresh vegetables.

Kuba

Re:

Postby Kuba » 2008-10-04, 18:26

Since many Polish people seldomly hear German (at least some time ago, now there are many German tourists in Cracow, Wrocław and so on) apart from the crappy "halt" [xalt] and "Ausweise, bitte" [auzvaizE bit:E] dialogues in communist anti-Hitler movies, they are convinced that German sounds harsh and choppy. So when some classmates overheard me and my brother speaking German, they supposed (knowing that we are from Austria) that we speak "Austrian"...

Levo wrote:By the way my second-cousins in Canada asked me if I have a television...I was so surprised I couldn't say anything for the first seconds, then the oldest one came closer and asked slowly:
"Do you know what a television is?"

Emberassing for me: We had Polish friends visiting us in Austria, and we went with them to visit Austrian friends. Marek (one of my Polish friends) took a game boy and looked at the back side to see which game was plugged in. Martin (one of my Austrian friends) saw that and told Markek, pointing at the device: "Game boy. Gaaaame boooy." :oops: Showed our Polish friends exactly how Austrians think about Poland. This happened ten years ago, though. Now most people know that Poles have highways, electric kitchen stoves and fridges...

Return to “General Topics”