Foreign Company/Product Names

Balaur
Foreign Company/Product Names

Postby Balaur » 2008-12-21, 9:44

In my area, I have noticed some company names derived from German with very strange or negative meanings. The ones I remember are Teufel Nursery, Inc. ('Teufel means 'devil' in German), a landscaping company, and my favorite, Schlecht Construction, Inc. ('schlecht' means 'bad'). I don't know if they are named after a person with such an unfortunate surname, but it's a bit strange that such a thing could happen, and shows that linguists should always be consulted when in the process of naming a company.

What company or product names have you noticed that have funny or negative meanings?
Vă rog să mă corectați dacă fac o greșeală în orice limbă. // Вэ рог сэ мэ коректаць дакэ фак о грешялэ ын орьче лимбэ. // Please correct me if I make a mistake in any language. // Bitte korrigiert mich, wenn ich einen Fehler in irgendeiner Sprache mache. // 請改正我任何語言中的錯誤。 // 请改正我任何语言中的错误。 // Παρακαλώ να με διορθώνουν αν κάνω ένα λάθο σε οποιηδήποτε γλώσσα.

loqu

Re: Foreign Company/Product Names

Postby loqu » 2008-12-21, 10:23

Recently in Seville, I have seen Autoescuela El Frenazo (Driving School 'the sudden braking').

And this one is not Spanish nor is it known in Spain, but I always have to laugh at the brand XOXO. It's like the way to write chocho (cunt) in an SMS.
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Boes

Postby Boes » 2008-12-21, 10:42

I know the Finns have a windshield fluid company called 'Superpiss'. :P

Ilayde

Postby Ilayde » 2008-12-21, 10:58

This reminded me about this well-known German lighting manufacturer, Osram, which has a rather specific connotations in Poland... because in Polish, the word "osram" is vulgar, meaning more or less "I will shit". So, I wouldn't even dare to say this outloud. I just read that the company has been present on the Polish market for a long time, so it's really strange they never changed the name :O
Native and writing about [flag]pl[/flag] / Pretending to be fluent in: [flag]en[/flag] [flag]sv[/flag] / In love with [flag]fi[/flag]

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2008-12-21, 11:42

Balaur, it might be that yours are just derived from the last names of the founders. There are some really strange surnames. :mrgreen:

Oleksij

Postby Oleksij » 2008-12-21, 11:50

:rofl: Teufel Nursery made my day. :yep:
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
Youtube Channel

Kirk

Postby Kirk » 2008-12-21, 12:12

Balaur wrote:In my area, I have noticed some company names derived from German with very strange or negative meanings. The ones I remember are Teufel Nursery, Inc. ('Teufel means 'devil' in German), a landscaping company, and my favorite, Schlecht Construction, Inc. ('schlecht' means 'bad'). I don't know if they are named after a person with such an unfortunate surname, but it's a bit strange that such a thing could happen, and shows that linguists should always be consulted when in the process of naming a company.

Haha, that's awesome. Of course, if it's in America where compared to, say, Spanish, as far fewer people speak German natively or nonnatively study it, it's likely that both of those names go by completely unnoticed by the majority of the populace. Still is pretty funny, though.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

I eat prescriptivists for breakfast.

maɪ nemz kʰɜ˞kʰ n̩ aɪ laɪk̚ fɨˈnɛ̞ɾɪ̞ks

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-12-21, 13:13

Amikeco wrote:Balaur, it might be that yours are just derived from the last names of the founders. There are some really strange surnames. :mrgreen:

Or maybe from some strange place names :P according to Wikipedia, however, Teufel Nursery is indeed owned by Teufel family

Well, Windows Vista is strange - in Latvian vista means chicken and I remember reading that in some other language it means eye

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2008-12-21, 16:21

Oh, this is from a TV program! :D I actually saw that Czech hotel in some movie.. I think it's pretty well-known.

1. Sosialurin (Færøyene) "Social urine"
2. Hotel Guggemos (Tyskland) "Hotel clot pulp"
3. Ingen Support (Skottland) "No support"
4. Bøgballe Friskole (Danmark) "Gay ball(testicle) school"
5. Grandhotel Pupp (Tsjekkia) "Grandhotel boob"
6. Alkis Travel (Kypros) "Boozer travel"
7. Drita Albanian Folk Orchestra (Albania) "Drunken Albanian..."
8. Auto-Knull (Tyskland) "Automatic fuck"
9. Busemann GmbH (Tyskland) "Boogieman GmbH"
10. The Raring Corporation (Canada) "The weirdo corporation"
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2008-12-21, 16:35

Boes wrote:I know the Finns have a windshield fluid company called 'Superpiss'. :P

Yeah but that's intentional -- it really refers to peeing (we say that the windshield liquid squirters 'pee') ;). That's Finnish profanity for ya :P.

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2008-12-21, 16:49

Sol Invictus wrote:
Amikeco wrote:Balaur, it might be that yours are just derived from the last names of the founders. There are some really strange surnames. :mrgreen:

Or maybe from some strange place names :P according to Wikipedia, however, Teufel Nursery is indeed owned by Teufel family

Well, Windows Vista is strange - in Latvian vista means chicken and I remember reading that in some other language it means eye

Between 1991 and 2005, Mr Erwin Teufel was the premier of the south-western German state of Baden-Württemberg. ;)
Today's premier of BaWü is Mr Günther Oettinger, who carries the same name as a cheap beer brand sold in the most popular German discounter supermarket chain... :shock:

Balaur

Postby Balaur » 2008-12-22, 0:10

Yeah, after actually taking a look at the companies' histories, it looks like both companies were founded by people with those surnames.
Vă rog să mă corectați dacă fac o greșeală în orice limbă. // Вэ рог сэ мэ коректаць дакэ фак о грешялэ ын орьче лимбэ. // Please correct me if I make a mistake in any language. // Bitte korrigiert mich, wenn ich einen Fehler in irgendeiner Sprache mache. // 請改正我任何語言中的錯誤。 // 请改正我任何语言中的错误。 // Παρακαλώ να με διορθώνουν αν κάνω ένα λάθο σε οποιηδήποτε γλώσσα.

Ilayde

Postby Ilayde » 2008-12-22, 8:29

Oh, I remember another one - Hotel Sedes in Berlin. In Polish, the word "sedes" means "toilet bowl". :mrgreen:
Native and writing about [flag]pl[/flag] / Pretending to be fluent in: [flag]en[/flag] [flag]sv[/flag] / In love with [flag]fi[/flag]

Return to “General Language Forum”