Russian or Japanese.. need a new language

Formiko
Re: Russian or Japanese.. need a new language

Postby Formiko » 2008-12-20, 18:59

Japanese is too big of a language to NOT learn full time. Russian is much simpler in that respect. Because of Japanese's 3 writing systems, I am hight impressed with a Westerner who learns enough Japanese to read and write it! (Not just katakana). Japanses is rather easy grammar wise, but the writing system is too complicated to make it a part-time language. Once you learn Cyrillic (which you can learn in a day), you can read ANY Russian word, and can pretty much write any Russian word too. But with Japanese have three writing systems and Kanji having multiple pronunciations, it's more like a secret code than a national language. I've met quite a few westernersw ho can speak Japanese, but I ave NEVER met a Westerner who can read a Japanese newspaper. You should learn Japanese if you don't mind beng illiterate. ;)
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Lietmotiv

Re: Russian or Japanese.. need a new language

Postby Lietmotiv » 2008-12-20, 20:44

I don't cosider Russian to be an easy language(especially for an English native-speaker)and I speak Russian every since I was like 4-5-6 yrs old. I tried to explain some features of Russian to some friends from the UK and they didn't understand the way Russian grammar works,didn't understand the cases,declension,not to mention the verbs
The Grammar is very difficult to understand for an English native speaker: Cases,declension,lack of articles and the Verbs which have a very well-organized structure; therefore Russian is a very strict and precise language,for each and every action using a single verb,unlike English which can be easily adapted.

I asume Japanese is much difficult,since it isn't Indoeuropean

Return to “General Language Forum”