What is the most difficult language to learn?

Sean of the Dead
Re: What is the most difficult language to learn?

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2008-12-25, 6:06

Boes wrote:Don't let my superior intellect discourage you from further comments.

:lol: Thanks, you made (the remaining 2 hours of) my day. :waytogo:

:rofl:
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

obler9

Postby obler9 » 2008-12-26, 7:15

KingHarvest wrote:I don't particularly understand why the Romanian neuter is described as not being a true neuter or acts differently from Latin. In Latin, the neuter resembled the masculine in the singular and resembled the feminine in the plural, just like in Romanian.

Wait.

Latin masc.: lupUS, plur. lupI
Latin fem.: rosA, plur. rosAE
Latin neuter: bellUM (-um is not the singular masculine -us), plur. bellA (-a is not the plural feminine -ae)

Rumanian masc.: lupUL, plur. lupII
Rumanian fem.: casA, plur. casELE
Rumanian ambigenous noun: oraşUL (-ul, as well as the Rum. sing. masc.), plur. oraşELE (as well as the Rum. plur. fem.)

Why do you say they act in the same way?
Is it maybe because, since you studied some Italian, you're mistaking the Italian ambigenous nouns with the Rumanian ones? I.e. the Italian braccio, plur. bracciA (that is the same plural ending, -a, of the Latin plural neuter bracchiA).
linguaholic wrote:I usually eat them with ketchup (I hate mayo, plus it's not vegan), also like satésauce (salty peanut stuff). Hummus sounds great, but I don't see anybody making that available here anytime soon.

Le parole sono importanti!

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-12-27, 4:40

sjheiss wrote:OH! And when you get to Slavic month, you should do Macedonian (or Bulgarian). ;)

On Slavic month, I think I'm going to choose Czech, or Russian. I may consider Bulgarian though. Thanks for the recommendation!
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Return to “General Language Forum”