What is the most difficult language to learn?

Natalie
What is the most difficult language to learn?

Postby Natalie » 2008-04-04, 8:03

What do you think of learning languages? I think Russian is the most complicated language to learn.

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2008-04-04, 8:23

Depends almost completely on your individual perspective (native language(s), prior experience with foreign languages, attitude and discipline, quality and availability of study materials, etc.)

For an English speaker, most Indo-European languages should be easier to learn than most non-Indo-European ones. On the other hand, many people find a language with a foreign script more difficult. Most people will confirm, anyway, that a language is indeed more difficult to learn if you are convinced that it is difficult right from the start ;)

And this topic has been discussed here several times, by the way.
Writing poetry in: Scottish Gaelic, German, English.
Reading poetry in: Latin, Old Irish, French, Ancient Greek, Old Norse.
Talking to people in the shop in: Lithuanian, Norwegian, Irish Gaelic, Saami.
Listening to people talking in the shop in: Icelandic, Greenlandic, Finnish.

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-04-04, 9:35

Why is this in the English forum? :D
Native: English
Fluent: Finnish
Want to resuscitate: German
Actively learning: Hebrew
Wishes she had time for: Northern Sámi
En usko humalaan.

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2008-04-04, 10:07

Ah, since she is a Russian native speaker...is this another thread where native speakers try to boast about the complexity of their language in order to feel superior? :wink:

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-04-04, 13:01

Amikeco wrote:Ah, since she is a Russian native speaker...is this another thread where native speakers try to boast about the complexity of their language in order to feel superior? :wink:

Russian isn't that hard, but most people, who use latin (or any other) alphabet, have hard time reading it, which, of course, mkes leaning it more difficult.

I once saw a film (I think it was somewhere on web) about some prodigy, who could learn everything very fast - he participied in an experiment to find out how he manges to do it and they made him learn Icelandic stating that it was incredibly hard and even native speakers sometimes have problems with it

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2008-04-04, 13:33

I took a course on Akkadian and the grammar was very close to that of Arabic and because of my prior knowledge of Arabic it seemed easy to me, but when I started learnigng the cuneiform script and the way it was used (a cuneiform letter could be either a logogram or a syllable or lord knows what), it made me not want to continue with it.

So yeah, as nighean-neonach said, the difficulty of a language relies on many things, depending on what you are good at, it'd be easier or more difficult to learn.
Not available

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2008-04-04, 15:45

Moved where it should be.

I'm not even going to mention again that all languages are equally easy/hard. It's all relative like beauty. :roll:
Neferuj paħujkij!

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2008-04-04, 15:59

JackFrost wrote:Moved where it should be.

I'm not even going to mention again that all languages are equally easy/hard. It's all relative like beauty. :roll:

I'd have to disagree..most Native American Indians can make a grown man cry (especially Cherokee)..and Georgian is known cause cerebral spasms :)

Российская легко!
(или Русский легок.)
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2008-04-04, 16:32

Formiko wrote:I'd have to disagree..most Native American Indians can make a grown man cry (especially Cherokee)..and Georgian is known cause cerebral spasms :)

Even with those, I'd say it depends a lot on the attitude and on the resources used. These languages are typically mostly studied in an academic context, by people who do not intend to speak them fluently in a natural context, so there is little well-organised study material available.

Zorba

Postby Zorba » 2008-04-04, 16:50

Moreover, you're talking about an English speaker learning Cherokee or Georgian, which are difficult for an English speaker not so much because of their "innate" difficulty but rather because they are non-Indo-European, structurally very different, have poor resources, and it's difficult to immerse yourself in the society (without going to live in Georgia, which most people don't do).

I gave up Georgian not so much because of the difficulty of the grammar, but rather the fact that to me (a native English speaker) the phonology was so different and the vocabulary was a nightmare to learn. This was compounded by the fact that there are virtually no decent textbooks for learning the language and a lack of other resources (dictionaries, accessible reading / listening material etc.) All of these factors are external to the language itself.

Bjarn

Postby Bjarn » 2008-04-04, 17:46

JackFrost wrote: It's all relative like beauty. :roll:

Hehehe I like that analogy. :P
Just thought I'd say that.

For me, the hardest languages are the ones with either a) totally different syntax or b) least interesting to me.
The hardest thing for me to handle with language I think is syntax.
Språk är en tråd genom tidens flod...
Bruidhinn rium sa' Ghàidhlig!
Un homme qui parle trois langues est trilingue.
Un homme qui parle deux langues est bilingue.
Un homme qui ne parle qu'une langue est anglais.

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2008-04-04, 18:00

The hardest language is always the one I'm currently learning.

I think I stole that line from someone, but regardless, it's still true.
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2008-04-04, 18:54

Formiko wrote:

I'd have to disagree..most Native American Indians can make a grown man cry (especially Cherokee)..and Georgian is known cause cerebral spasms :)

Российская легко!
(или Русский легок.)

Maybe for an English speaker, yes, but you cannot make that overgeneralizing term because it's not the case for everyone.

I'll repeat myself: All languages are equally hard. From the linguistic point of view.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Makrasiroutioun

Postby Makrasiroutioun » 2008-04-04, 19:50

What makes Georgian so hard is that, apart from the alien vocabulary and utterly different grammatical features such as split ergativity, it is both very agglutinative AND highly irregular. So it deviates from the typical highly regular agglutinative language such as Finnish and the Turkic languages.

I put Georgian on hold until I can befriend a native. Most of the good material is in Russian!

All languages are equal, so most people say. Though I still can't wrap my head around these comparisons:

Basque vs. any Romance language
Navajo vs. Afrikaans
Tsez vs. Tok Pisin
Mohawk vs. any creole
Korean vs. Swahili

Ennys

Postby Ennys » 2008-04-04, 20:00

I think modern Irish is very difficult, because it has a weird spelling, a pronounciation which I have to learn by heart because I never guess it from the spelling, and some sounds I cannot reproduce, plus the broad-slender variants between which I can not always hear the difference :(
Broad dh, anyone?

And finnish must be very difficult, from what I have heard, because of its many inflections...

Glowim

Postby Glowim » 2008-04-04, 20:07

JackFrost wrote:
Formiko wrote:

Российская легко!
(или Русский легок.)

Maybe for an English speaker, yes, but you cannot make that overgeneralizing term because it's not the case for everyone.

I'll repeat myself: All languages are equally hard. From the linguistic point of view.

After all this reading, I continue to disagree with you (sorry..!). Obviously it depends on what is your mothertongue and which languages you already know (and on the textbook you use, and everything all of you said..). But it depends also on grammar syntax. For example, I'm italian mothertongue, and, you know, french is not so diffenent for words and grammar rules from italian. But I found very easier english than french, beacuse syntax is very simpler (for examples, for verbs..). And more distant from italian than french is.
So, in my opinion there are actually some objective elments to say if a language is harder than another.
Please, correct my errors!

DelBoy
Location:i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Postby DelBoy » 2008-04-04, 20:14

Ennys wrote:I think modern Irish is very difficult, because it has a weird spelling, a pronounciation which I have to learn by heart because I never guess it from the spelling, and some sounds I cannot reproduce, plus the broad-slender variants between which I can not always hear the difference :(

Irish spelling is actually quite regular in terms of pronunciation, so once you learn the rules, you should always be able to pronounce a word from reading it. :wink:

Broad dh, anyone?

Éasca péasca - depending on it's position in the word, either a 'breathy' G sound (voiced velar fricative?), a /j/ or it's not pronounced
:D
The British Isles are awesome - I know, I live there - but Ireland is not a part of them. K thnx bai!

Labharfainn níos mó faoi, dá dtuigfinn an bhrí...

nighean-neonach

Postby nighean-neonach » 2008-04-04, 20:49

Ennys wrote:And finnish must be very difficult, from what I have heard, because of its many inflections...

Oh heavens, why do people always make such a fuss about inflections :roll: Memorizing a few endings is not that wild, and with a bit of logical thinking the use of the most common cases is not too frightening either.

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2008-04-04, 20:57

Yeah, I'm always desperately trying to say Finnish isn't cryptic, it's just a different way of thinking.

But they've already decided it's hard and used it as an excuse not to bother, so of course they're not going to get anywhere with it. (I don't mean Ennys here, I mean eg. Erasmus students which come here :D)
Native: English
Fluent: Finnish
Want to resuscitate: German
Actively learning: Hebrew
Wishes she had time for: Northern Sámi
En usko humalaan.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2008-04-04, 21:02

Stacy wrote:Yeah, I'm always desperately trying to say Finnish isn't cryptic, it's just a different way of thinking.

But they've already decided it's hard and used it as an excuse not to bother, so of course they're not going to get anywhere with it. (I don't mean Ennys here, I mean eg. Erasmus students which come here :D)

I don't get why Erasmus students don't want to learn the host country's language! I mean, no matter how useless it might seem, it's part of the culture of the country! :)
Not available

Return to “General Language Forum”