Next language to study

Which of the following languages should I study next?

Korean
21%
Arabic
12%
Finnish
25%
Hungarian
18%
Russian
11%
Dutch
14%

Total votes: 57

Lietmotiv
Re: Next language to study

Postby Lietmotiv » 2008-12-21, 6:55

I'd choose Finnish.I think it's a very difficult language,but it's 'exotic' ,very few people know it. In Romania,the translators of rare languages(what we consider Finnish,Danish,Arabic,Portuguese) are the best paid

I voted for Russian. It's easier than German (the gender is usally obvious instead of arbitary) and once you know it, Polish, Czech and the other Slavic languages won't be that hard to understand

It depends . I am not sure how easy Russian is. I cannot believe one who starts learning it at 20 could every speak it like a native. P.S. I am fluent in Russian and I don't unerstand Polish,Czech or other Slavic language

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2008-12-21, 7:08

AndreiB wrote:
It depends . I am not sure how easy Russian is. I cannot believe one who starts learning it at 20 could every speak it like a native. P.S. I am fluent in Russian and I don't unerstand Polish,Czech or other Slavic language

Really? Well, I can understand a good amount of Polish (backwards Russian) if I listen very carefuly, and quite a good amount of Bulgarian. I don't have enough contact with Czechs or Serbs to test my theory though. I had a Ukrainian student once who told his Ukrainian friend before class about his "sexual escapades" the night before. I know exactly what they did, where and for how long. (90% of it being lies ;) )I figured it out just from my knowlege of Russian.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2008-12-21, 7:22

Formiko wrote:
Really? Well, I can understand a good amount of Polish (backwards Russian) if I listen very carefuly, and quite a good amount of Bulgarian. I don't have enough contact with Czechs or Serbs to test my theory though. I had a Ukrainian student once who told his Ukrainian friend before class about his "sexual escapades" the night before. I know exactly what they did, where and for how long. (90% of it being lies ;) )I figured it out just from my knowlege of Russian.

Usually all the Russians I know don't even understand Ukrainian(or at least this is what they say). I can say I am able to understand a certain % of written Ukrainian,or even Slovak,but when it comes to listening I don't understand a thing.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2008-12-21, 8:22

AndreiB wrote:
Formiko wrote:

Usually all the Russians I know don't even understand Ukrainian(or at least this is what they say). I can say I am able to understand a certain % of written Ukrainian,or even Slovak,but when it comes to listening I don't understand a thing.

Here are some sample words I heard him say: рудий жиру which sounds like рыжий жира,
He was also saying кричала and шлепок жир дупа or something similar, жири сиси, шлюха, хуи, жиру червона пизда and other colorful terms. Just from those words and expressions like
три години, I KNEW he wasn't talking about studying :)

I do remember that one of the guys was Russian, who spoke Ukrainian, so he may have been code switching back and forth. I couldn't give you every word they said, but I knew certain details.
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2008-12-21, 21:51

TaylorS wrote:Once I've gotten competency in Spanish I might try a Germanic language, perhaps German (again) or Norwegian (since I'm of Norwegian ancestry

Please start with Norwegian first, then move your way to German, unless you want to cry like I did when I found out how super freaking easy Norwegian is compared to German., AFTER I had been studying German for 7 months. :yep:

Also I would recommend starting with an easier Slavic language than Russian, say Macedonian or Bulgarian. ;)
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

Schultz

Postby Schultz » 2008-12-21, 21:55

Have to agree with Sjheiss. German is the language I absolutely love above any other, but Norwegian (i've just started learning, about a month ago) is a lot easier to get to grips with. It's a great language too, I'm really enjoying it. Start with that, then try German later. :)

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2008-12-21, 21:57

I voted for Finnish

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2008-12-21, 22:00

Schultz wrote:Have to agree with Sjheiss. German is the language I absolutely love above any other, but Norwegian (i've just started learning, about a month ago) is a lot easier to get to grips with. It's a great language too, I'm really enjoying it. Start with that, then try German later. :)

Glad someone agrees with me. :D
I think just about every single aspect of Norwegian is easier than German. Verbs don't conjugate for person, no cases (except pronouns, same as English), most nouns have regular plurals, unlike Germans 12 different ways to make a plural, only 2 genders, and most are of the common gender. :y:

And FYI, I voted for Hungarian, because it seems cooler to me than Finnish. :partyhat:

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-12-22, 0:50

sjheiss wrote:
TaylorS wrote:Once I've gotten competency in Spanish I might try a Germanic language, perhaps German (again) or Norwegian (since I'm of Norwegian ancestry

Please start with Norwegian first, then move your way to German, unless you want to cry like I did when I found out how super freaking easy Norwegian is compared to German., AFTER I had been studying German for 7 months. :yep:

Also I would recommend starting with an easier Slavic language than Russian, say Macedonian or Bulgarian. ;)

I agree, Norwegian is a good precursor, especially to get you into the mind-set of a real Germanic language (because English is a bit different). It's always hard to start on another language family (or branch).

And while I'm thinking about this, check out a Polynesian language (Hawai'ian if you're in the USA, Maori if you're in NZ/Australia, Samoan if you are anywhere else.) They are pretty easy, but still VERY non-IE. Switching from Italian to Japanese will make you cry. Sorry, that has nothing to do with the topic, or what I was replying to. >.<
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

loqu

Postby loqu » 2008-12-22, 1:46

I'm interested in Polynesian stuff, but why Samoan in particular?
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-12-22, 2:05

loqu wrote:I'm interested in Polynesian stuff, but why Samoan in particular?

It has the largest amount of native speakers. Hawai'ian only has 25,000 native speakers, and Maori has 150,000. Samoan on the other hand has 550,000. I just assumed that it would be more available for other countries. I think Hawai'ian is only popular here because it's spoken here. Manx has a similar amount of speakers, but it's impossible to find info to learn it.

There are Hawai'ian materials in Japanese, English, and Tagalog. I assume the same languages are true for Maori (in addition to Indonesian, possibly). Those are the only places you can find resources.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

TaylorS

Postby TaylorS » 2008-12-22, 5:15

sjheiss wrote:

Thanks for the advice! Norwegian it is, then!
Native: English
Learning: Spanish, Latin

Linguistic Interests: Historical Linguistics, Typology, Phonology, Phonetics, Morphology.

Travis B.

Postby Travis B. » 2008-12-22, 5:30

Heh - German is not that hard - unless you have to remember the gender and plural of any given word... heh
secretGeek on CodingHorror wrote:Type inference is not a gateway drug to more dynamically typed languages.

Rather "var" is a gateway drug toward "real" type inferencing, of which var is but a tiny cigarette to the greater crack mountain!

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2008-12-22, 5:59

Travis B. wrote:Heh - German is not that hard - unless you have to remember the gender and plural of any given word... heh

Actually, German is pleasant as long as you don't mind sounding like a foreighner. Keep everything masculine, and remember separate the auxiliary verbs, and you're fine. :)
In no particular order

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-12-22, 7:16

Travis B. wrote:Heh - German is not that hard - unless you have to remember the gender and plural of any given word... heh

Have you tried Norwegian? Much easier.

Smitty

Postby Smitty » 2008-12-22, 10:32

I voted Finnish purely on the languages appearance.

Korean would have been my second choice on the list.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2008-12-22, 17:12

ILuvEire wrote:

Why not Swedish, which has 3 times the speakers?
In no particular order

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2008-12-22, 20:49

Formiko wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:

Because everyone knows Swedish looks ugly (especially with their umlauts) and they sound funny. :silly:

TaylorS

Postby TaylorS » 2008-12-22, 20:53

Formiko wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:

Because, as I stated above, I'm of Norwegian ancestry.
Native: English
Learning: Spanish, Latin

Linguistic Interests: Historical Linguistics, Typology, Phonology, Phonetics, Morphology.

Kasuya

Postby Kasuya » 2008-12-23, 4:13

ILuvEire wrote:I agree, Norwegian is a good precursor, especially to get you into the mind-set of a real Germanic language (because English is a bit different).

What makes English an atypical Germanic language (if that's what you're saying)?

Return to “General Language Forum”