If a Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese) Esperanto

Kasuya
Re: If a Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese) Esperanto

Postby Kasuya » 2008-12-24, 8:22

Draven wrote:China is 1000 years past its prime. And you guys seriously think the Japanese, the Koreans and the Vietnamese would support Mandarin? I certainly don't.

I'm sorry to hit you with the cold hard fact, but in Asia, English is the only foreign language that matters. Mandarin is used in China. The end.

As China's economic, cultural, scientific, and political influence grow vastly, so will the benefits of learning Mandarin. The only reason why Mandarin WOULDN'T become the lingua franca of East Asia over the course of this century is if China suffered a devastating setback in it's development. A few grievances over history has never stopped a population from learning a language that carries with it great benefits in their professional and personal lives.

svld

Postby svld » 2008-12-24, 16:49

Only after Mandarin pwned English can it become lingua franca. And I'm sure many (especially non-Chinese East Asian) don't want that happen (myself included).

Kasuya

Postby Kasuya » 2008-12-24, 19:58

svld wrote:Only after Mandarin pwned English can it become lingua franca.

How does one language pwn another language? :?

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-12-27, 2:46

lichtrausch wrote:
svld wrote:Only after Mandarin pwned English can it become lingua franca.

How does one language pwn another language? :?

The culture becomes more prominent, so instead of Mandarin speakers learning English, English speakers learn Mandarin. Many people have speculated that Mandarin will be the next English. It's about time, I'm getting tired of my native language being everywhere.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-12-27, 7:22

ILuvEire wrote:The culture becomes more prominent, so instead of Mandarin speakers learning English, English speakers learn Mandarin.

Lol right now Mainland China's culture is nautical miles far from influential.

ILuvEire wrote:And I'm sure many (especially non-Chinese East Asian) don't want that happen (myself included).

I don't want my hand having to write those ideograms and my mouth having to do series of shi-li-jia-xue-san-san-san-feng-san (and that upsetting fourth tone).... so yeah I back English wholeheartedly.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Kasuya

Postby Kasuya » 2008-12-27, 8:52

Draven wrote:I don't want my hand having to write those ideograms and my mouth having to do series of shi-li-jia-xue-san-san-san-feng-san (and that upsetting fourth tone).... so yeah I back English wholeheartedly.

If you were able to learn how to pronounce English acceptably then all laws of linguistics say that you should have little trouble learning how to pronounce Mandarin well.

It's pretty clear that Vietnamese people would actually benefit from being able to use Mandarin as a lingua franca rather than English. With the notable exception of hanzi, the rest of Mandarin should be much easier than English for a Vietnamese person to learn. Therefore Vietnamese people would be able to have a higher level of competency in Mandarin than in English.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-12-27, 12:26

lichtrausch wrote:If you were able to learn how to pronounce English acceptably then all laws of linguistics say that you should have little trouble learning how to pronounce Mandarin well.

I wasn't talking about the difficulty. I was merely stating my preference.

lichtrausch wrote:It's pretty clear that Vietnamese people would actually benefit from being able to use Mandarin as a lingua franca rather than English.

The Vietnamese was once Hán tự users. Now people who want to go back are rare.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Return to “General Language Forum”