The most complex characters in Chinese.

Kwok
The most complex characters in Chinese.

Postby Kwok » 2007-11-10, 5:02

A website elected the most complex characters in Chinese.Though some of them are not used anymore.

It means,according to the discriptions,getting rid of ghosts.
A special food name in Shaanxi province
Number 1(look like an arabic word?)
Poem
A bird that looks like a mouse
Image-(it's a meaningless or unknown character)
Thunder
Love or fancy
Mouth
It means yard and such..
Sunflower
for the whole version please visit original page. :shock: [/url]
Native: Chinese
Upper intermediate: English
Intermediate: Russian
Basic: Hebrew
On the card: Japanese, Cantonese

Makrasiroutioun

Postby Makrasiroutioun » 2007-11-10, 5:59

Wikipedia has some nice information too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_ch ... characters

Ayiaearel

Postby Ayiaearel » 2007-11-10, 6:25

Double-yu ti eff?

Okay, I have one question: what is the radical of the third one? It looks more like a hiragana.

I've never seen a Chinese character that contained a circle or a triangle...

Also, I found the one with the rain and all the dragons on <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_character#Rare_and_complex_characters" target="_blank">Wikipedia</a>. It says that that character is used in Japanese and it means "the appearance of a dragon in flight".

Weird... :shock:
¡A la máquina!

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2007-11-10, 6:34

This is a Kokuji of Japan. That is, this is not a proper Chinese character developed in China but in Japan. Accordingly, this has no on (音, "Chinese") reading but only kun (訓, "Japanese") reading. This reads either as Taito or Otodo, and it means shape of dragons ascending through the clouds. (Fairly obvious to those who can identify the individual parts of it. ;) ) It is reported to be (or have been) used for certain proper names only.

http://www.geocities.jp/f9305710/henkanji.html
http://www.geocities.jp/f9305710/Miyasuikanjibeya.html

This is a Japanese website with a fairly large collection of "strange" characters. The second url (from the same website) has some systematic categorisation of them.

Okay, I have one question: what is the radical of the third one? It looks more like a hiragana.

I think the radical of the character above is 一. The website above has "?" for its radical, but what else can it be (if we must assign a radical to it)? Certainly that doesn't look anything like a Chinese character and the writer of the website above has "What the hell is this?" in boldface... ;)

This is one of my favourites. It reads as "Gundam" (ガンダム) and this is a pictograph.
Last edited by Karavinka on 2007-11-10, 6:39, edited 2 times in total.

Kwok

Postby Kwok » 2007-11-10, 6:35

AJRLegits wrote:Double-yu ti eff?

Also, I found the one with the rain and all the dragons on <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_character#Rare_and_complex_characters" target="_blank">Wikipedia</a>. It says that that character is used in Japanese and it means "the appearance of a dragon in flight".

In fact,I don't know much about that either.
Maybe these strange and weird character are really from ancient Chinese(You mentioned the Japanese,however,Japanese characters is re-built/re-created according to Chinese characters).
Indeed,I've never seen that before.Even though I'm coincidently Chinese.

Kwok

Postby Kwok » 2007-11-10, 6:46

Chick out this!I mean,two hills/mountains standing above 3*3=9 stones....I'm rather faint...What does it means exactly?

And this,
2*4=8 forests (or 4*4=16 woods)....weird. :shock:

So is it,
take a look at it,16 田 and 8 回...It obstinately means thunder(I guess the Japanese 意味は雷の音。 means the sound of thunder)?

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2007-11-10, 6:58

Kwok wrote:
AJRLegits wrote:Double-yu ti eff?

In fact,I don't know much about that either.
Maybe these strange and weird character are really from ancient Chinese(You mentioned the Japanese,however,Japanese characters is re-built/re-created according to Chinese characters).
Indeed,I've never seen that before.Even though I'm coincidently Chinese.

This is not necessarily true, there are far more Japanese inventions than you might imagine. Certainly, this goes beyond slight adaptations of minute details. True, most of them are built on the same principles that Chinese characters are made.

touge, low hills.
働く hataraku, to labour
sasaki, a type of tree
hatake, agricultural field
tsuji, crossroad
kamishimo, a type of Shinto priest clothing.

As you can see these characters are encoded, meaning that they are widely used. hataraku is in fact a very common word in Japanese.

This is not only the case in Japan, as other countries that adapted Chinese writing had to develop some local characters for their use for: 1. things that don't exist in China and thus no character, 2. sounds that cannot be represented using characters.

Following is a list of some characters developed in Korea. (I posted this on the Korean forum a while ago, and I re-post it here plus an additional character at the end.)

乫 갈(Kal), used in place names
倻 야(Ja), used in place names
畓 답(Tap), rice paddle
垈 대(), construction site/ground
媤 시(Si), marriage (for a woman)
乶 볼(Pol), used for phonetic transcriptions
乷 살(Sal), used for phonetic transcriptions
兯 한(Han), used for phonetic transcriptions
乭 돌(Dol), used for phonetic transcriptions

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2007-11-10, 7:10

Kwok wrote:Image
Chick out this!I mean,two hills/mountains standing above 3*3=9 stones....I'm rather faint...What does it means exactly?

Pronunciation: Iwakura.

Meaning: 神の鎮座するところ (Where a God is enshrined.) The pronunciation given above is iwa "rock" plus kura "storage." Umm. Yes there are tons of rocks but to be honest I have no idea why that means enshrinement of a God. I think this is very likely to be a Japanese Kokuji.

And this,

The pronunciation is either Satsu (On?) or Ki (Kun?). The kun reading Ki is homophonous with that of 木, also read as Ki. This is some kind of woods... but the exact meaning is given as 義未詳 "unknown." I'm not sure whether the origin of this would be China or Japan.

So is it,
take a look at it,16 田 and 8 回...It obstinately means thunder(I guess the Japanese 意味は雷の音。 means the sound of thunder)?

Yes, that's what it means. This is pronounced Hou or Byou, only in On readings. I think this one is indeed Chinese in origin, as there is no Kun reading assigned to it.

Kwok

Postby Kwok » 2007-11-10, 11:30

noir wrote:
Kwok wrote:Image

Pronunciation: Iwakura.

Meaning: 神の鎮座するところ (Where a God is enshrined.) The pronunciation given above is iwa "rock" plus kura "storage." Umm. Yes there are tons of rocks but to be honest I have no idea why that means enshrinement of a God. I think this is very likely to be a Japanese Kokuji.

And this,

The pronunciation is either Satsu (On?) or Ki (Kun?). The kun reading Ki is homophonous with that of 木, also read as Ki. This is some kind of woods... but the exact meaning is given as 義未詳 "unknown." I'm not sure whether the origin of this would be China or Japan.

So is it,

Yes, that's what it means. This is pronounced Hou or Byou, only in On readings. I think this one is indeed Chinese in origin, as there is no Kun reading assigned to it.

Noir you're really professional.
佩服。。。佩服。。。 :)

stordragon

Re: The most complex characters in Chinese.

Postby stordragon » 2007-11-11, 19:02

A special food name in Shaanxi province

This man-made character looks really ugly to me! :evil: :wink:

Anyone who calls this a Chinese character? :stunned: well dude you must be kidding :blow:
人生得意须尽欢,莫使金樽空对月。
Hvat krevst fyri at kunnast við aðrar mentanir? Tað er fyrst og fremst teirra mál!(á føroyskum)
Dovddan earenoamážit beroštumi suoma-ugrálaš giellajoavkku dutkamuššii.(davvisámegillii)
Būtina imtis neatidėliotinų priemonių nykstančioms kalboms apsaugoti nuo išnykimo;nes kalbinė įvairovė,mano nuomone,yra ne mažiau svarbi nei biologinė!(lietuviškai)

lishaoxuan

Postby lishaoxuan » 2007-11-26, 14:37

This is definitely not a Chinese character. Believe me.!

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2007-11-27, 23:06

The original website removed the images and it looks all screwed up. :(

polishboy

Postby polishboy » 2008-12-20, 17:04

Qrczak
Country:CHSwitzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)

Postby Qrczak » 2008-12-21, 13:26

Return to “General Language Forum”