AlexandreMsx
how to type diacritics?

Postby AlexandreMsx » 2007-08-20, 4:47

hello, i need to type thease letters...
Āā Ēē Īī Ōō Ūū Šš Žž
Does anybody know the alt+# ?
Thanks in advance!

hanumizzle
Location:concat(List.intersperse " " (map (x -> reverse x) ["lol", "tuw"]))

Postby hanumizzle » 2007-08-20, 5:12

AllChars can do Š/š and Ž/ž, but it can be configured to handle other characters.

http://allchars.zwolnet.com/

On Linux I assign the Compose key to Super_L (left Windows key), but I AllChars is my equivalent solution on Windows itself. Därmed kan jag skriva sådana tecken som 'å'.

AlexandreMsx

Postby AlexandreMsx » 2007-08-20, 6:00

Thanks, the others requires a kind of work, i will study it more.

JaneFairfax

Re: how to type diacritics?

Postby JaneFairfax » 2007-08-20, 12:48

AlexandreMsx wrote:hello, i need to type thease letters...
Āā Ēē Īī Ōō Ūū Šš Žž
Thanks in advance!

Š = 0138
Ž = 0142
š = 0154
ž = 0158

The other characters can’t be typed using ALT keystrokes directly on Windows Notepad or Internet Explorer. However, the following work on Windows WordPad:

Ā = 0256
ā = 0257
Ē = 0274
ē = 0275
Ī = 0298
ī = 0299
Ō = 0332
ō = 0333
Ū = 0362
ū = 0363

I suppose you can copy and paste from WordPad if you wish.

hanumizzle

Postby hanumizzle » 2007-08-20, 13:09

JaneFairfax wrote:
AlexandreMsx wrote:hello, i need to type thease letters...
Āā Ēē Īī Ōō Ūū Šš Žž
Thanks in advance!

Š = 0138
Ž = 0142
š = 0154
ž = 0158

Such numerical Alt keystrokes are dreadfully inconvenient and difficult to remember.

JaneFairfax

Postby JaneFairfax » 2007-08-20, 14:04

They probably are, but I use these ALT characters so much that I’ve memorized most of them now anyway (after years and years of hard work). :wink:

Passe-Cale

Postby Passe-Cale » 2007-08-20, 16:34

I have used the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (see this thread), if you use Windows XP, it's perfect!

I have based myself on my regular French-Canadian (legacy) keyboard and added all the diacritics I wanted. Too bad it's not printed on my keys, but even then, I have a key ¯, so I made it a dead-key that would put a macron over the vowels. You can put that on any key, or create a whole keyboard layout from scratch, it's great! It requires that you create your layout, but it's not that complicated and after that it's much more faster to just do DEAD-KEY + letter = diacriticated letter, than ALT + 3 or 4 digits that you have to learn for every letter, lower and upper case! :D
Native : [flag]fr-QC[/flag] . . Fluent : [flag]en-CA[/flag] . .. . .. . .Currently interested in : [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]sv[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Conversant : [flag]es[/flag] [flag]zh.Hans[/flag] [flag]eo[/flag] . . . . . Also studied : [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]it[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]ja[/flag]

JaneFairfax

Postby JaneFairfax » 2007-08-20, 21:39

Well, whichever works best. :wink: In my case, I use four-digit codes not just for language characters but also for mathematical symbols. (Yes, I’m a mathematician. :D Check me out at MathsIsFun.com. 8)) I don’t suppose there are any special keyboards for abstract mathematical symbols, are there? I don’t mean common symbols like +, =, <, >, etc – there are many symbols more abstract than those. I have to use four-digit &#; codes for a lot of mathematical symbols – and since I can use four-digit codes for language characters as well, well, the transition is straightforward and natural. :)

hanumizzle

Postby hanumizzle » 2007-08-20, 21:40

JaneFairfax wrote:[color=black]Well, whichever works best. :wink: In my case, I use four-digit codes not just for language characters but also for mathematical symbols.

Wow, JaneFairfax, I'd say you're a right polymath!

loqu

Postby loqu » 2007-08-20, 21:52

Passe-Cale wrote:I have used the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (see this thread), if you use Windows XP, it's perfect!

I have based myself on my regular French-Canadian (legacy) keyboard and added all the diacritics I wanted. Too bad it's not printed on my keys, but even then, I have a key ¯, so I made it a dead-key that would put a macron over the vowels. You can put that on any key, or create a whole keyboard layout from scratch, it's great! It requires that you create your layout, but it's not that complicated and after that it's much more faster to just do DEAD-KEY + letter = diacriticated letter, than ALT + 3 or 4 digits that you have to learn for every letter, lower and upper case! :D

I absolutely agree, this software is really useful for typing characters usually hidden away. I created a couple of keyboard layouts some time ago, one for Esperanto (I never got the point with the one included in Windows) and another one for a self-designed alphabet for my dialect.

It's a software one can lose a lot of time with :)
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2009-01-02, 4:13

I love it, I recently created a layout based on the Norwegian one so that I can type German too, since the Norwegian keyboard has an umlaut deadkey but no esszett (ß), and I hate switching between keyboard layouts. Unfortunately, in Valve games the console doesn't work. :(
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

Return to “General Language Forum”