Family Members

This forum is intended for topics dealing with translations in conlangs.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Levike
Family Members

Postby Levike » 2015-09-05, 11:34

Kistur - son
Larád - daughter
Honur -brother
Nomád - sister

Láslur - father
Imlád - mother

Bátur - uncle
Lonkád - aunt
Tebhonur - cousin
Tebnomád - cousin

Tebláslur - granfather
Tebimlád - grandmother

Tétebláslur - great grandfather
Tétebimlád - great grandmother

How does a family look in your conlang?

If you also give the etymology behind them, even better. :yep:

Fox Saint-Just

Re: Family Members

Postby Fox Saint-Just » 2015-09-08, 7:21

In Novbasa, family words are among the few that allow a degree of irregularity. Generally, to create the male/female version of a name, you have to use the particle man/fem. Here, instead, there are some indipendent names and neuter names that can be used to indicate a generic family member without refences to their gender.

ana - son/daughter (from Austronesian anak and Swahili mwana. The latter is shared my many other Bantu languages.)
brator - brother (Indo-European bʰréh₂tēr)
sestar - sister (Indo-European swésōr)

patro - father (Indo-European ph₂tḗr)
matra - mother (Indo-European méh₂tēr)
genjen - generic parent or both parents (from gen "to generate" and jen "person")

onkel - uncle (French oncle, English uncle, German Onkel)
tante - aunt (French tante)
kuzin - cousin (Latin consobrinus)

dede - generic grandparent or both grandparents (from Bengali দাদু dadu, Hindi दादा dādā, Slavonic дѣдъ dědŭ, Turkish dede)
dedo - grandfather
deda - grandmother

For grand-grandparents and so on, it starts with du-vez-avi ("two times ancestor") for a grand-grandparent. By changing the number, you can change the grade of ancestry. I got the idea from Italian, in which trisavolo (grand-grand-grandparent) comes from Latin tris ("three times") and avus ("grandfather").
Native: [flag=]it[/flag] [flag=]egl[/flag] B2: [flag=]en[/flag] Intermediate: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Curious about: [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]hy[/flag] [flag=]eu[/flag] [flag=]nah[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]sr[/flag]
[flag=]art[/flag] Currently developing Ardlang: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=40076.

k1234567890y

Postby k1234567890y » 2015-09-08, 8:14

native kinship terms of Lonmai Luna/Liunan:

- kolcel / celo - a parent or any relative beloning to the same generation of the parent(s) of the speaker.
- alcel / yalcel - a sibling or any relative belonging to the same generation of the speaker emself
- ilacel - an offspring or any relative belonging to the same generation of the the offspring(s) of the speaker.

Lonmai Luna is originally spoken by long-longs, long-longs are a kind of Oviparous animal, they are intelligent being, but they don't have sexual dimorphism, long-longs can perform parthenogenesis and change their gender between male, female and undediced by their will, most long-longs keep their genders undecided in most of the time, and most long-longs give birth to their offsprings by parthenogenesis, having sex is uncommon among long-longs and Lonmai Luna has no native terms to describe sex or gender.

more about long-longs: http://aveneca.com/cbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3574
True devils can truly hate devils, hating evilness is not the same to not being evil.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-09-08, 12:09

Fox Saint-Just wrote:brator - brother (Indo-European bʰréh₂tēr)
sestar - sister (Indo-European swésōr)

patro - father (Indo-European ph₂tḗr)
matra - mother (Indo-European méh₂tēr)

onkel - uncle (French oncle, English uncle, German Onkel)
tante - aunt (French tante)
kuzin - cousin (Latin consobrinus)

I see you're creating Esperanto 2.0 . :mrgreen:

Fox Saint-Just

Postby Fox Saint-Just » 2015-09-09, 13:14

Levike wrote:I see you're creating Esperanto 2.0 . :mrgreen:

Well, I'm trying to create a worldlang after all. :mrgreen:
Native: [flag=]it[/flag] [flag=]egl[/flag] B2: [flag=]en[/flag] Intermediate: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Curious about: [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]hy[/flag] [flag=]eu[/flag] [flag=]nah[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]sr[/flag]
[flag=]art[/flag] Currently developing Ardlang: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=40076.

~jakip

Postby ~jakip » 2015-09-21, 19:45

Spitind:
Śne / filiu - son
Duane / filia - daughter
Fratel -brother
Sureś - sister

Patre - father
Matre - mother

Sio - uncle
Sia - aunt
Helmor - cousin
Helmorâ - cousin

Nun - granfather
Nunâ - grandmother

Paternun / paternuna - great grandfather
Maternun / maternuna - great grandmother
Last edited by ~jakip on 2015-10-07, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Native: Italiano (it) C1: Lombard (lmo) Español (es) English (en) A2: Deutsch (de)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-09-21, 20:15

~jakip wrote:Śne, duane, helmor/helmorâ

Where are these from? :hmm: The rest I get, but these four bug me.

Oh, and what sound does the "â" represent.

In school we always called "â" an "a with a roof top". :blush:

Irkan

Postby Irkan » 2015-09-22, 8:44

Chuhuntali goes a bit differently. Its culture originally brought up their children collectively, but since villages grew bigger a new style of parenting emerged, still along the lines of collectivity but with a heavier influence from parents and grandparents, teachers and usually friends' parents or other close people. There is no distinction between actual biological family and other members further from one's own parents or children. There is no gender distinction in the terms and adoption is extremely common. Here's the list:

puku person two generations older
kitta person one generation older
saŋa person from your same generation (kind of equivalent to "bro", somehow?)
mawi person one generation younger
yari person two generations younger

kittasir* parent
mawisir* child

These are used mainly as appelatives. One would only use them to refer to someone if it's someone they are close to. For example:

ŋulapu saŋapu...
My bro and I...

*-sir/-siri is the diminutive ending.

Levike wrote:In school we always called "â" an "a with a roof top". :blush:
We called it "a with the little house" (a amb la caseta)

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-09-23, 17:39

Irkan wrote:Chuhuntali goes a bit differently.

Hmmm, I really don't know to which language to compare your conlang.
It's simply foreign, definitely doesn't remind me of anything European.

Except mawi.

How did you come up with those words?

Irkan

Postby Irkan » 2015-09-23, 21:04

Levike wrote:
Irkan wrote:Chuhuntali goes a bit differently.

Hmmm, I really don't know to which language to compare your conlang.
It's simply foreign, definitely doesn't remind me of anything European.

Except mawi.
Thank you! I usually get quite bored with European features, so my conlangs easily drift away.

Levike wrote:How did you come up with those words?
Most of them are random. puku and saŋa are loosely based on Pakku and Aang from Avatar: The Last Airbender. And mawi is, if I am not mistaken, a hero in Polynesian mythology and for some reason I associated it with a child.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-09-23, 21:29

Irkan wrote:And mawi is, if I am not mistaken, a hero in Polynesian mythology and for some reason I associated it with a child.

When I looked at mawi I thought about the Polish "młody", which means "young". So close, yet so far.

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2015-09-23, 23:05

Levike wrote:
Irkan wrote:And mawi is, if I am not mistaken, a hero in Polynesian mythology and for some reason I associated it with a child.

When I looked at mawi I thought about the Polish "młody", which means "young". So close, yet so far.

If you want to look for a similar word in Polish, then I'd suggest "mały", which means "little". Just one vowel difference (at least I think so.) ;)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-09-24, 0:11

Yapeisa Isyue: the Family in Isya

sojanya : grandparent
soja/hyja : parent (anybody who looks after you as a parent)
geja : child, son, daughter
gina : son, daughter (directly indicates your own child, but is sometimes used with others' as a term of endearment if you're close to either soja of said child)
hessa : sister, brother
gejanya : grandchild

hessoja : aunty, uncle
hessona : cousin
hesgina : niece, nephew

A special form of "sojanya": sovel which declines like a name, and should only be used for your own (biological or in-law) or for those who you are close to.

There are also "soj', hyj', gej'," and "gin'" which are indeed simply short forms without the final vowel. These forms differ from the full forms in declension by declining like names. Like sovel and gina, these too should be used for your own relatives or relatives who you're close to of those who are close to.
Last edited by Koko on 2015-09-25, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

Irkan

Postby Irkan » 2015-09-24, 7:31

Патрислав Андреевич wrote:
Levike wrote:

If you want to look for a similar word in Polish, then I'd suggest "mały", which means "little". Just one vowel difference (at least I think so.) ;)

Actually, that <i> stands for /ə/ which might, not usually though, be pronounced [ɨ], so even that difference could go away.

~jakip

Postby ~jakip » 2015-09-25, 16:59

Levike wrote:
~jakip wrote:Śne, duane, helmor/helmorâ

Where are these from? :hmm: The rest I get, but these four bug me.

Oh, and what sound does the "â" represent.

Śne comes from "son" and duane from "daughter" (use your imagination and you'll understand it :ohwell: ). Helmor and helmorâ are random words, I liked how they sounded.

When I started to make up words I didn't think to take them from other languages but I just based them on what came up to my mind. Worst decision ever :| But, well, I can't delete what I did till now so I leave them in my vocabulary.

represents the sound [ə], the same sound of ă in Romanian.
Native: Italiano (it) C1: Lombard (lmo) Español (es) English (en) A2: Deutsch (de)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-09-25, 18:45

~jakip wrote:When I started to make up words I didn't think to take them from other languages but I just based them on what came up to my mind. Worst decision ever :| But, well, I can't delete what I did till now so I leave them in my vocabulary.

Aww, but a priori words are so delicious!

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-09-25, 18:49

~jakip wrote:But, well, I can't delete what I did till now so I leave them in my vocabulary.

Why not? I rewrote half of my vocabulary a dozen times.

~jakip

Postby ~jakip » 2015-09-25, 20:01

Koko wrote:
~jakip wrote:When I started to make up words I didn't think to take them from other languages but I just based them on what came up to my mind. Worst decision ever :| But, well, I can't delete what I did till now so I leave them in my vocabulary.

Aww, but a priori words are so delicious!

I think that too but I have to make the vocabulary easier to remember for me or I'll never learn it :?

Levike wrote:
~jakip wrote:But, well, I can't delete what I did till now so I leave them in my vocabulary.

Why not? I rewrote half of my vocabulary a dozen times.

Good point. I don't know, maybe I'm lazy :whistle: Back serious, should I rewrite words, I would have to change all the translations I wrote. And they're too many.

Once I had to change all the alphabet and that drove me crazy. I don't want to think if I should change the vocabulary.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2015-09-28, 3:51

~jakip wrote:Good point. I don't know, maybe I'm lazy :whistle: Back serious, should I rewrite words, I would have to change all the translations I wrote. And they're too many.
Personally, I don't update translations after a change that affects them, unless they're very recent. The original just becomes obsolete, and the correct version exists implicitly. It only becomes explicit if I ever decide to do the translation again.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

~jakip

Postby ~jakip » 2015-10-01, 8:34

Dormouse559 wrote:
~jakip wrote:Good point. I don't know, maybe I'm lazy :whistle: Back serious, should I rewrite words, I would have to change all the translations I wrote. And they're too many.
Personally, I don't update translations after a change that affects them, unless they're very recent. The original just becomes obsolete, and the correct version exists implicitly. It only becomes explicit if I ever decide to do the translation again.

I see your point of view. I thought about that and I personally think you all are right. Perhaps I should be more flexible on this stuff.

Return to “Conlang Translations”