Scots

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Re: How to Write and Pronounce Scots Gaelic for "of"

Postby Johanna » 2009-03-29, 17:50

Scots is not the same as Gaelic, it's is a West Germanic language that evolved from Middle English.

Try the Gaelic forum instead ;)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

neoni

Re: How to Write and Pronounce Scots Gaelic for "of"

Postby neoni » 2009-03-29, 19:29

the preposition used is not a matter of which one you like best, rather it depends on the case, gender and beginning of the following word

you want dubhgall an obain

ThomasUK

Scots Lessons

Postby ThomasUK » 2009-03-31, 21:45

Being a native of Britain and living in Scotland currently, I thought it might be nice to share with others what I know about the Scots language.

The Scots language is one of 6 major languages of the United Kingdom and Ireland (English, Welsh, Scottish Gaelic, Irish Gaelic, Manx Gaelic and Scots). It is spoken in both mainland Scotland and Northern Ireland. The Scots language derived from Old English and changed at the same speed as English which is why both languages have vocabulary that is around 90% similar. But because of relations with France it has borrowed French words that English has not such as 'shen' or 'chen' from the French 'chien' meaning dog. The Scots language is closely related to Frisian, German and Dutch.

The Scots language is no longer written like it used to. Scots is not taught in Scottish schools nor is it an official language of Scotland. Scots is really only spoken rather than written. Most of the population of Scotland know Scots, around 90% of it (The others speaking Scottish Gaelic and English (People from England, the USA or Wales mainly)).

The Scots language was the main language of business in Scotland in the 18th century but it saw its decline as the Scottish King took the English throne to unite the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland (later known as 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland'). However just because it is in decline doesn't mean to say that it is extinct or going to be extinct, it is spoken by roughly 4 and a half million people in Scotland alone and around 7 million worldwide.

Section 1 - Alphabet

Both Scots and English share the same alphabet with the same pronunciation.

Section 2 - Main differences between English and Scots

Unlike English, Scots has two ways of saying 'you' just like many of the Indo-European languages. It has a plural form and a singular form.
Scots and English vocabulary are indeed different in many aspects.

Section 3 - Subject Pronouns

1st Person Singular: A
2nd Person Singular: Ye
3rd Person Singular: he, she, it
1st Person Plural: we
2nd Person Plural: youse
3rd Person Plural: they

Section 4 - to be

to be - tae be

I am - A am
You are - Ye are
He is
She is
It is
We are
You are - Youse are
They are - Thay are

I was - A wis
You were - Ye war
He/She/It was - He/she/it wis
We were - We war
You were - Youse war
They were - Thay war

...will be - ... will be

Section 5 - Days of the Week

Monday - Monday
Tuesday - Tyseday
Wednesday - Wadnesday
Thursday - Thursday
Friday - Friday
Saturday - Seturday
Sunday - Sunday

Yes and No

Yes - Aye
No - Naw

Here are some other expressions:

Whit are ye dae'in?
It dusnae metter, as lang as ye can fix it.
Ma wein is a lassie chen no a laddie.
Yer a poof mate.
A ken wha ye are.

That's all I could come up with right now, taking a break from typing because it is getting quite late in Scotland (10:35) and my hands are killing me. To stop those stereotypes about Scotland being cold, wet and windy, it managed to creep up to around 15 degrees centigrade today. Next time I might look at the etymology of some popular placenames such as Glasgow (Glasgae), Edinburgh, and the town I live in - Falkirk.
Native Language(s): English, Scots
Known Language(s): French
Currently Learning: Old English, Russian and Italian
Wanting to learn: Most languages but more specifically German and Dutch.

DelBoy
Location: i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Re: Scots Lessons

Postby DelBoy » 2009-03-31, 22:20

Hmm... some of your info seems a bit dubious...
I'm no expert on Scots, but I would think that English has been influenced more by French than Scots has (I'd have thought Norse was more of an influence on Scots, no?)

I also didn't think that there was one specific way of writing it - it varies from region to region, even in speech, let alone writing. And 90% speak it?? hmm.... :hmm:
In my experience, most Scottish people generally speak Scottish English or a mix of Scottish English and Scots. I don't know the situation in Northern Ireland, but there it's Ulster Scots.

And it wasnae for nearly 200 years after the Act of Union that the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain' became the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland', which didnae last too long, and is now 'the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'...
The British Isles are awesome - I know, I live there - but Ireland is not a part of them. K thnx bai!

Labharfainn níos mó faoi, dá dtuigfinn an bhrí...

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2009-03-31, 22:34

Regardless, if you continue to make lessons, I'll be sure to study them. :D
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

neoni

Postby neoni » 2009-03-31, 22:50

yous sterlin fowk are aw mental. tyseday? fit's at??

an aye delboy's richt, thar's nae praper way o writin it, fich means ye can pritty much jist write fit ye wahnt. also a widnae say the letters are aw pronounced the same as in inglish. ah niver say "t" a the end o a word fae example, but they dae it in aiberdeen (they're mentalists an aw)

DelBoy
Location: i nDún Éideann, in Albain; as Áth Cliath in Éirinn (in Edinburgh, Scotland; from Dublin, Ireland)

Postby DelBoy » 2009-03-31, 23:16

ken like!
Pure deid mental...

(sorry fae mixin up me east n west coast words...) :lol:
The British Isles are awesome - I know, I live there - but Ireland is not a part of them. K thnx bai!

Eoghan

Postby Eoghan » 2009-04-01, 7:36

neoni wrote:yous sterlin fowk are aw mental. tyseday? fit's at??

an aye delboy's richt, thar's nae praper way o writin it, fich means ye can pritty much jist write fit ye wahnt. also a widnae say the letters are aw pronounced the same as in inglish. ah niver say "t" a the end o a word fae example, but they dae it in aiberdeen (they're mentalists an aw)

Ah cannae but sae tha youse twa are richt, Ah hae been a speikin Scoats wi me family fae Scotland fer a lang tyme an Ah hae ne'er seen a praper wae tae write it. An Scoats is nae yin single cainnt but mair, an there's differences eadar Scoats fae na Gaidhealtachda an the Lallans, as wehl as the east an the west...
Image[flag=]sv[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]gd[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]pt[/flag] [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]it[/flag] [flag=]no-nn[/flag] [flag=]fo[/flag]

Albeit the Scot in me is of the Western stock and the red of the Cairngorms, the heather and the Lewissian gneiss, the Viking in me was there when you uttered the first word of your leid.

ThomasUK

Postby ThomasUK » 2009-04-01, 16:44

DelBoy wrote:Hmm... some of your info seems a bit dubious...
I'm no expert on Scots, but I would think that English has been influenced more by French than Scots has (I'd have thought Norse was more of an influence on Scots, no?)

I also didn't think that there was one specific way of writing it - it varies from region to region, even in speech, let alone writing. And 90% speak it?? hmm.... :hmm:
In my experience, most Scottish people generally speak Scottish English or a mix of Scottish English and Scots. I don't know the situation in Northern Ireland, but there it's Ulster Scots.

And it wasnae for nearly 200 years after the Act of Union that the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain' became the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland', which didnae last too long, and is now 'the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'...

It's mainly in the lowlands and highlands that people speak Scots. Central Scotland, due to the higher amount of visitors and a larger amount of English influence tend to speak Scottish English along with Scots English.

If anyone wants to continue on with this then I'll be more than happy. I don't tend to speak Scots but I do know it. It is more an old language in my head because I hardly speak any of the rare, long words that are different in English, I recognise "bahookey" and "dreekit" but not an awful lot of Scottish words that I used to know - this again is by English influence, since starting to study languages I have more or less started using proper English than I have done before and my friends at school will find it rare for me to say the likes of "didnae", "huvnae", "amnae" etc. Just "aye" is common with me.

neoni

Postby neoni » 2009-04-01, 18:07

ye've nae been tae glesga much, hae ye?

ThomasUK

Postby ThomasUK » 2009-04-01, 18:13

Nope, I live quite close to Edinburgh.

neoni

Postby neoni » 2009-04-01, 22:07

cluinnidh tu fada bharrachd albais ann an glaschu a charaid

geonames

Translation of small text

Postby geonames » 2009-04-04, 17:44

Hi all,

I'm running a website about (mostly) geographical names in several languages ( http://www.geonames.de ) and am looking for a translation of the introduction phrase into Scots:

"The countries of the world in their own languages and scripts; with official names, capitals, flags, coats of arms, administrative divisions, national anthems, and translations of the countries and capitals into many languages"

Thank you all in advance and enjoy your weekend, or what's left of it.
Werner
my website: http://www.geonames.de
Gib mir die Kraft Dinge zu ändern, die ich ändern kann; die Gelassenheit Dinge zu akzeptieren, die ich nicht ändern kann; und die Weisheit den Unterschied zu erkennen.

LoneWolf

Need a sentence in Scots for an art project

Postby LoneWolf » 2009-04-05, 0:35

So here’s the thing, I’m in college presently studying in art. For one of my courses I have to make an art project which is socially involved. Being a language freak, I chose as a subject to treat about endangered languages and cultures.

Now, for my project I wanted to include sentences in as many of these dying languages as possible. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone of you could give me a meaningful sentence in Scots or any other endangered or newly revived language.
More precisely, I’m looking for a sentence that reflects the identity of the endangered language and/or people. It could be a saying in the threatened language, a nationalistic slogan, or simply a made up sentence which summarizes well the idea that all humans are equal and have the right to be. For example, in Gaeilge (Irish):
‘Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam’ (a country without a language is a country without a soul)

Also, please write in the script which is usual for the language.

I’ll take the time to mention as well that I do not want any hateful messages or slogans. I believe hate does not solve any problems, it only generates more destruction. Hence, I trust your input on this matter.

By the way, I have posted this message at a few other places on Unilang. I want to get the most languages included in the project as possible.

Thank you very much for your kind help!

neoni

Re: Need a sentence in Scots for an art project

Postby neoni » 2009-04-05, 10:27

see you pal gonnae no dae that Image

DelBoy

Postby DelBoy » 2009-04-06, 13:40

neoni wrote:see you pal gonnae no dae that Image

How no?

neoni

Postby neoni » 2009-04-07, 11:41

you cryin me a fanny mate? wannae git chibt?

DelBoy

Postby DelBoy » 2009-04-07, 15:21

I'm exhausting all of my Scots :lol:

eh...... :hmm:

Wheesht yersel pal, ye jist dinna ken eh!

neoni

Postby neoni » 2009-04-07, 16:37

ah'd luiv tae see yer man's project an aw the lieds hae richt poignant sentences an then fae scots he's got "haud yer weesht ye bawbag"

:P

Gibbermeister

Is anybody here actually a NATIVE speaker of Scots?

Postby Gibbermeister » 2009-04-08, 23:08

I am.

(Ah'm ur).

It's jeist that a lot ae whit Ah've funn here lukks like a kind ae throwback tae some pseudo-revival ae Rabbie Burns. We've moved oan a bit fae back then. Nae offence like, jeist wonderin. :para:

Return to “Other Languages”