Armenian-question

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
Eliso

Armenian-question

Postby Eliso » 2020-09-26, 12:13

Hello
I have a question about a certain word in Armenian: Shushiki. It is the name of a dance by Komitas and I want to learn more about it. I believe it means a dance from the city of Shushi? And -ki is an ancient armenian suffix? That is how much information I could find over google and I don't know if they are correct. So what does the word mean? A dance from the city of Shushi or a person (male/female) from that city?
If someone could help me with it I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Eliso

Linguaphile

Re: Armenian-question

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-09-26, 15:02

Eliso wrote:Hello
I have a question about a certain word in Armenian: Shushiki. It is the name of a dance by Komitas and I want to learn more about it. I believe it means a dance from the city of Shushi? And -ki is an ancient armenian suffix? That is how much information I could find over google and I don't know if they are correct. So what does the word mean? A dance from the city of Shushi or a person (male/female) from that city?
If someone could help me with it I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Eliso

An Armenian speaker can help you more, but Շուշիկ (Sushik) is an Armenian given name, a diminutive form of Շուշան (Shushan) and Շուշաննա (Shushanna) although it can also just be used as a given name on its own. Շուշիկի (Shushiki) is its dative form, so the name of the song would mean "To Shushik". (One translation I came across had it as "To Little Shushik," emphasizing the diminutive aspect of the name.)

Eliso

Re: Armenian-question

Postby Eliso » 2020-09-26, 19:58

Thank you so much!! :) I really appreciate it!

Return to “Other Languages”