[Yiddish] Merger of I1/U1 and I2/I3/U2/U3 in Southeastern Yiddish? Another question about pronunciation if not

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
squee100

[Yiddish] Merger of I1/U1 and I2/I3/U2/U3 in Southeastern Yiddish? Another question about pronunciation if not

Postby squee100 » 2018-11-29, 23:59

Most sources I've checked say that, in Southeastern Yiddish, I1 and U1 are /ɨ/ and I2, I3, U2, and U3 are /i/. The attached map, however, suggests that I1 and U1 can be /i/ in Southeastern Yiddish. Do any Southeastern Yiddish speakers who pronounce I1 and U1 as /i/ merge them with I2, I3, U2, and U3, or do they all pronounce I2, I3, U2, and U3 as /iː/, which I've also seen sources claim?

If the latter:
I would like to pronounce:
A1 = /a/
A2 = /o/
A3 = /o/
E1 = /ɛ/
E2, E3 = /aj/
E4 = /aj/
E5 = /ɛ/
I1 = /i/
I2, I3 = /i/
I4 = /a/
O1 = /o/
O2, O3 = /oj/
O4 = /oj/
U1 = /u/
U2, U3 = /u/
U4 = /oj/

but I couldn't help but notice that this is one fewer vowel phoneme than any individual dialect of Yiddish. On the other hand, I'm not using sabesdiker-losn so together with the consonants it's still more phonemes than Northeastern Yiddish that does use sabesdiker-losn. Am I being too reductive? If so, what should I do if I still want to pronounce all of the vowel diaphonemes that appear in Hebrew-derived words as described?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Languages”