Formosan/Taiwanese Aboriginal languages (Austronesian)

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
atalarikt

Formosan/Taiwanese Aboriginal languages (Austronesian)

Postby atalarikt » 2018-01-11, 11:23

Greetings fellow linguaphiles! In this thread, I will share various resources of the Formosan languages from the Austronesian language family.

The Formosan languages are the branch of Austronesian language family spoken by the Taiwanese Aboriginal tribes (e.g. Rukai, Tsou, Atayal, Paiwan, etc.). All the languages in this branch, unfortunately, don't enjoy as much popularity as their sibling branch Malayo-Polynesian, largely due to centuries of language shift to various Chinese languages. More info regarding the Formosan language branch can be found in this Wikipedia page.

Any kind of contribution is welcome, either by posts of various resources or showcasing your knowledge of at least one Formosan language. Or maybe you can even make effective learning resources/pages/etc. out of the existing ones shared here!
If you find one or more links that are either dead or inaccessible, let me know! I will delete them from this thread.

I'll start by sharing this link of this Taiwanese government-owned online dictionary.

http://m-dictionary.apc.gov.tw/

The Great Diversity of Formosan Languages by Paul Jen-kuei Li of Academia Sinica, a paper on Formosan languages with some example sentences and an extensive list of vocabulary which greatly showcase grammatical features of each language in the paper.
Wiktionary has this page of cognate sets for Formosan languages, with words from Rukai (5 dialects), the Duhtu dialect of Tsou, Kanakanabu, Saaroa, Puyuma (3), Paiwan (3), Amis (2), Sakizaya, Bunun (3), Atayal (2), Seediq (4), and Saisiyat (2).

The good ol' Austronesian Basic Vocabulary Database

The Austronesian Comparative Dictionary (web edition) by Robert Blust and Stephen Trussel. Contains an extensive list of vocabulary, but is also work-in-progress.

A grammar of Lha'alua, an Austronesian language of Taiwan, a PhD thesis by Chia-jung Pan. James Cook University, Australia.
Note: Lha'alua/Hla'alua is another name for Saaroa.

A few Taiwanese (Hokkien?) words and some place names in Taiwan originating from Formosan languages.

Formosan Languages Meet AI, a good blog entry from The Glossika Blog regarding Formosan languages and the future of them.

Taiwan Indigenous TV (TITV), a YouTube channel with news videos in Chinese and various local Austronesian languages (including Yami, the only Malayo-Polynesian indigenous Austronesian language in Taiwan), although several local languages, such as Thao, are unavailable. Still highly recommended for those who already understand Chinese or want to get an idea of how Formosan languages sound like.

Ogawa's Vocabulary of Formosan Dialects, an online dictionary database based on a book Comparative Vocabulary of Formosan Dialects, compiled by the late Dr. Naoyoshi Ogawa (1869-1947). By the time this was written (January 17th, 2018), the database is currently out of service. Let me know if the problem still persists after the date.

These Facebook pages post some vocabulary of Thao, Kanakanavu, and Saaroa respectively. (No updates since August 2017)

There's this Filipino kid chef called Chef Rafi who teaches you not just how to cook, but also languages (check out his YouTube channel as well for more cooking 'n' linguistic goodness).
Here, the particular language he uses is Atayal, with some English translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5MonvdDO0

His blog post based on the video, including interlinear gloss as well!
Last edited by atalarikt on 2018-01-17, 9:22, edited 6 times in total.
Jika saya ada salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I am wrong, please correct me.
(Native language)~Indonesian (id) Javanese (jv)(East Javanese accent) (Non-fluent native language, currently learning) Balinese (ban) (Fluent second languages)~English (en-US) (Understanding)~ Malaysian (ms) Sundanese (su) Arabic (ar) Dutch (nl) (Learning/wanting to learn)~ Mexican Spanish (es-MX)

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Formosan/Taiwanese Aboriginal languages (Austronesian)

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-14, 5:39

Cool. Thanks for sharing!

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-01-14, 6:02

księżycowy wrote:Cool. Thanks for sharing!

No problem.

Sadly, the entire website itself is (obviously) in Chinese, so some inexperienced people may have hard time exploring the website.
Anyway, here's a page about the Rukai source language (in English) from the official website of Taiwan Indigenous Culture Park. It has other pages for some other indigenous tribes as well.
Link apparently does not show anything useful regarding Formosan languages (at least to my devices). Only blank space when opening the "source language" part.
Last edited by atalarikt on 2018-01-17, 6:13, edited 1 time in total.
(Native language)~Indonesian (id) Javanese (jv)(East Javanese accent) (Non-fluent native language, currently learning) Balinese (ban) (Fluent second languages)~English (en-US) (Understanding)~ Malaysian (ms) Sundanese (su) Arabic (ar) Dutch (nl) (Learning/wanting to learn)~ Mexican Spanish (es-MX)

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-01-16, 0:58

A Comparative Austronesian Vocabulary of Formosan Languages and Dialects by Naoyoshi Ogawa, ed. by Paul Jen-Kuei Li and Masayuki Toyoshima (2006)

This is an archive.org link of the book, which you can download for free.
EDIT: Turns out you can only borrow it online for 14 days.
Last edited by atalarikt on 2018-01-16, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2018-01-16, 15:06

Keep these links coming! I've been interested in Formosan languages for a while now. It's nice too see some resources starting to be gathered. :D

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-01-16, 15:37

księżycowy wrote:Keep these links coming! I've been interested in Formosan languages for a while now. It's nice too see some resources starting to be gathered. :D

Sure thing! Now if only someone could arrange these resources to make them much more effective to learn or understand... Not to mention that some resources are still not too easy to access.

The Great Diversity of Formosan Languages by Paul Jen-kuei Li of Academia Sinica, a paper on Formosan languages with some example sentences and an extensive list of vocabulary which greatly showcase grammatical features of each language in the paper.

Oh, and Wiktionary has this page of cognate sets for Formosan languages, with words from Rukai (5 dialects), the Duhtu dialect of Tsou, Kanakanabu, Saaroa, Puyuma (3), Paiwan (3), Amis (2), Sakizaya, Bunun (3), Atayal (2), Seediq (4), and Saisiyat (2).

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-01-17, 6:39

The good ol' Austronesian Basic Vocabulary Database

The Austronesian Comparative Dictionary (web edition) by Robert Blust and Stephen Trussel. Contains an extensive list of vocabulary, but is also work-in-progress.

A grammar of Lha'alua, an Austronesian language of Taiwan, a PhD thesis by Chia-jung Pan. James Cook University, Australia.
Note: Lha'alua/Hla'alua is another name for Saaroa.

A few Taiwanese (Hokkien?) words and some place names in Taiwan originating from Formosan languages.

Formosan Languages Meet AI, a good blog entry from The Glossika Blog regarding Formosan languages and the future of them.

Taiwan Indigenous TV (TITV), a YouTube channel with news videos in Chinese and various local Austronesian languages (including Yami, the only Malayo-Polynesian indigenous Austronesian language in Taiwan), although several local languages, such as Thao, are unavailable. Still highly recommended for those who already understand Chinese or want to get an idea of how Formosan languages sound like.

Ogawa's Vocabulary of Formosan Dialects, an online dictionary database based on a book Comparative Vocabulary of Formosan Dialects, compiled by the late Dr. Naoyoshi Ogawa (1869-1947). By the time this was written (January 17th, 2018), the database is currently out of service. Let me know if the problem still persists after the date.

These Facebook pages post some vocabulary of Thao, Kanakanavu, and Saaroa respectively. (No updates since August 2017)

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-01-17, 9:21

There's this Filipino kid chef called Chef Rafi who teaches you not just how to cook, but also languages (check out his YouTube channel as well for more cooking 'n' linguistic goodness).
Here, the particular language he uses is Atayal, with some English translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n5MonvdDO0

His blog post based on the video, including interlinear gloss as well!

Return to “Other Languages”