Japanese Sign Language

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
Lauren
Japanese Sign Language

Postby Lauren » 2012-10-22, 8:40

Konnichi wa!

I thought I'd make a thread to gauge interest in 日本手話 (Japanese Sign Language, also abbreviated NS, from the Japanese name for it, "nihonshuwa).

I love the grammar of JSL. I love it's use of particles and things, and the fact that it's a separate family from FSL is really cool, almost everything is so different.

Here are links I've found for JSL:

Some short "lessons" (in English)

What seems like a pretty comprehensive online course (in Japanese)

JSL video course (in ASL with English subtitles)

http://lsf.wiksign.org/wiki/Langue:Sign ... onde#Japon
Various links for JSL
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Lauren

Re: Japanese Sign Language

Postby Lauren » 2012-10-23, 6:00

Using the videos from the second link, I'm making a PowerPoint Presentation that is a lot like Dr. Bill Vicar's new website, http://ASL.tc. If anyone is interested, I can share it.

Each lesson is laid out with a sentence video, then most or all of the signs contained in the video to follow. I think soon I will re-shoot the videos, since the ones in the course are so small, so it's hard to make out what some signs are.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this could easily function as a bilingual course, if I shot ASL equivalents of the vocab and sentences. :hmm:

EDIT: Here's the link to my course.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

unzum

Re: Japanese Sign Language

Postby unzum » 2012-12-13, 20:04

If you have a DS you need to try out 手話の森. It's a suprisingly good language learning game. It mostly consists of learning vocabulary and phrases that are grouped into different topics but it's really easy to pick up because they have a little virtual person who signs the words and you can look at it from different directions and positions. They even animate the facial expression and mouthing.
There are also tests for different levels that you can challenge yourself at, and stories in JSL.

It's not a complete course for learning JSL but I think you could learn a great deal of vocabulary and get some fairly good comprehension skills.
Learning: [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]zh.Hans[/flag] [flag]yue.Hant[/flag] (hiatus)
Some day: [flag]ko[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]vi[/flag] [flag]km[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]ms[/flag] [flag]bn[/flag]
Abandoned: [flag]fr[/flag]
Translations: Balinese lessons & Sundanese lessons

Return to “Other Languages”