Armenian (Հայերեն)

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
DanIssa
Armenian keyboard

Postby DanIssa » 2007-08-02, 1:34

I had the same issue when moved to another country (to find how to type Armenian) - another resolution I found is to make the Armenian keyboard yourself with a pencil or apply Armenian stickers, for example http://www.latkey.com/keyboard_stickers.asp?SubCat=53

Makrasiroutioun

Postby Makrasiroutioun » 2007-10-25, 4:42

Sorry to reply belatedly to this subject, but hayana is indeed a valid word, in all four synchronic and diachronic variants of Armenian. Let me guide you...

hay - noun, sometimes used as an adjective, meaning "Armenian";

hayanal - to become Armenian, to Armenianise (Armenianize, US,) intransitive verb;

Indicative mood, present tense:

hayanam I become Armenian
hayanas thou becomest Armenian
hayana he/she/it becomes Armenian
hayanank we become Armenian
hayanak you become Armenian
hayanan they become Armenian

The aforecited Classical (5th century) Armenian lyrics contain the phrase "...keznov biti hayana" which means "from thee/through thee/because of thee he shall become Armenian," "...de toi/de ta part il deviendra arménien." Keznov is in the instrumental case.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

(Eastern) Armenian learning materials

Postby eskandar » 2007-10-25, 17:53

Barev dzez! Can anyone recommend a good textbook and/or dictionary for learning Eastern Armenian? With regards to a dictionary, I'd particularly like one that is:

-bidirectional English-Armenian/Armenian-English
-printed with both Armenian writing and English transliteration of words
-large (the bigger the better)

and contains colloquial and formal words (preferably, one that makes a distinction between the two). But I'm not picky and I'll take what I can get :lol: I know resources for Armenian are somewhat limited.

Shat shat mersi!

Nero

Postby Nero » 2007-10-25, 19:32

(Offtopic) Eskandar, does your username come from a roleplaying game or a multiplayer game online? I see it quite often

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2007-10-25, 19:57

No...it comes from my actual name! Eskandar is the equivalent of Alexander in many languages, including Persian and, I believe, Armenian.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2007-10-25, 20:38

Hi Eskandar,
Do you know French, even passively, by any chance? The best book that I have for Eastern Armenian is the Assimil one, I don't know of any method books in English that I could recommend to you. As for a dictionary though, I'd recommend the bidirectional Concise Dictionary by Hippocrene (Diana & Susanna Aroutunian), but maybe I'm recommending it because it's the only one I've come in contact with. :lol:

BTW...to my knowledge, Aleksand@r=Eskandar in Armenian.
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2007-10-25, 21:37

Hi Sisyphe jan,
I can read French decently (don't ask me to try to pronounce it!), so I guess I'll keep an eye out for the Assimil title. I'll also be looking for the Hippocrene dictionary; does it, by any chance, have English transliterations of Armenian words?

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2007-10-25, 21:51

On the Armenian-English side, there is a transliteration for every word, on the English-Armenian side the English word has a transliteration. ;) I haven'T studied Eastern Armenian in depth yet, but there are some letters in Western Armenian that are not always pronounced at the end of a word, and the @(schwa) sound isn't always written in so a transliterated dictionary will be of used to you, definitely.
The Assimil title is L'arménien sans peine btw.
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2007-10-25, 23:08

Shat lav! Shat mersi, kheyli mamnun, merci beaucoup, etc. :D

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2007-10-25, 23:39

Charzhe, Khâhesh mikonam, de rien, etc. :mrgreen: Good luck with your Armenian.

Makrasiroutioun

Postby Makrasiroutioun » 2007-10-26, 4:48

Eskandar, I believe that the Hippocrene edition has it, though there are better dictionaries. Go on Amazon and write "armenian dictionary" and it ought to give you plenty of hits.

Assimil has a good textbook and accompanying CD's for Eastern Armenian (I am 95% sure that it's not Western... it was many years ago, and as a native speaker I didn't care to remember it back then which dialect it was! Very sorry!)

Go check out the links section of Armenian in its Wikipedia article.

PoPoWiWi

Armenian script in websites

Postby PoPoWiWi » 2007-10-28, 13:28

I found a new website where to learn Armenian but all I can see is that ->

²ÝëË³É àõÕÕ³·ñ»Éáõ ²ñáõ»ëïÁ
Ú³é³ç³µ³Ý

What can I do? Please tell me.

kalemiye

Re: Armenian script in websites

Postby kalemiye » 2007-10-28, 14:08

PoPoWiWi wrote:I found a new website where to learn Armenian but all I can see is that ->

²ÝëË³É àõÕÕ³·ñ»Éáõ ²ñáõ»ëïÁ
Ú³é³ç³µ³Ý

What can I do? Please tell me.

Install the armenian language package for windows.
Not available

Javier

Postby Javier » 2007-10-28, 14:46

After you are sure the system supports armenian, make sure the browser is using the appropriate encoding, for example I am using Firefox, and I can select View / Character Encoding / More Encodings /SE & SW Asian / Armenian (ARMSCII-8 )

Another possibility is that the site is using a customized font, that you should download and install, in that case they must supply the instructions.

It'd be actually quite useful if you post the link ;)
Ecuadorian | Native Spanish speaker. | Interested in these languages
Corrections appreciated -(Even in Spanish) ;)

PoPoWiWi

Postby PoPoWiWi » 2007-10-28, 18:42

Thank you guys, I tried with Firefox and now I can see that ->

Ðայոց լեզուÝ ուղիղ խօսիլը եւ աÝթերի գրելը՝ լաւագոյÝ ապացոյցÝ է զայÝ սիրելու եւ յարգելու։ ԱմէÝ գիտակից Ðայ պարտի մշտարթուÝ հսկել Ðայ լեզուի մաքրութեաÝ եւ տեղեակ ըլլալ աÝոր կաÝոÝÝերուÝ։ Ապա թէ ոչ , լեզուակաÝ մարզէÝ Ýերս աÝիշխաÝութիւÝ պիտի

I think those "Ý" are not corrects, but ... :roll:

This is the website -> http://www.ercole.net/hayaser/lesson.asp?lesson=29

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2007-10-29, 17:38

It looks like you're still getting a couple letters that don't exist in Armenian...I suggest this link for supporting Armenian script.

PoPoWiWi

Postby PoPoWiWi » 2007-10-29, 19:15

Thank you! Now I can read it completly! :D

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2007-10-29, 19:46

And you can type too! :mrgreen: Enjoy! ;)

Qaanaaq

Postby Qaanaaq » 2007-10-30, 10:02

Are there any decent downloads in Russian? I’ve found quite a bunch of Georgian learning materials on Russian servers…

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2007-10-30, 12:28

Qaanaaq wrote:Are there any decent downloads in Russian? I’ve found quite a bunch of Georgian learning materials on Russian servers…

There are plenty of Russian books for learning Armenian. Try www.uztranslations.net.ru , I have forgot the other sites by now, but other people might know.
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

Return to “Other Languages”