Armenian (Հայերեն)

Any language which does not have a specific forum can have a thread made for it here.
Shad
Re: Armenian (Հայերեն)

Postby Shad » 2013-07-17, 6:43

Was the Armenian forum put to sleep? :?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-17, 12:26

Yup. This is what remains.

Shad

Postby Shad » 2013-07-17, 23:16

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-07-18, 4:17

księżycowy wrote:Yup. This is what remains.
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-18, 16:57

Nice quote. Cool poem too. :D

Shad

Postby Shad » 2013-07-21, 12:29

Anyone currently studying Armenian? *forever studying alone*

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-07-21, 12:55

Not at the moment, sorry.

Shad

Postby Shad » 2013-07-21, 13:21

księżycowy wrote:Not at the moment, sorry.

Ափսոս:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-07-22, 17:51

I wish I was studying Armenian!
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Michael

Postby Michael » 2013-07-22, 22:27

Meera wrote:I wish I was studying Armenian!

How could you like Armenian but not Greek? :(
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-08-01, 4:39

HoItalosPhilellên wrote:
Meera wrote:I wish I was studying Armenian!

How could you like Armenian but not Greek? :(

I like greek, I just haven't studied it yet :( I probably will one day.
अहिंसा/เจ

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-08-13, 4:28

अहिंसा/เจ

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-08-13, 5:29

I like the sound of Armenian. I mean, how many other languages allow consonant clusters like khndrem? (Answer: Georgian.) The problem is that I find the script incredibly ugly and have no use for it, so I don't have any motivation to learn it.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-08-13, 5:53

I love how Armenian sounds! I like the script but it's hard :P
अहिंसा/เจ

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-08-13, 6:10

I know this is a cliché but all Armenian letters look alike to me. I can't tell them apart and it makes the language unreadable to me.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2013-08-13, 8:29

mōdgethanc wrote:I like the sound of Armenian. I mean, how many other languages allow consonant clusters like khndrem? (Answer: Georgian.) The problem is that I find the script incredibly ugly and have no use for it, so I don't have any motivation to learn it.
mōdgethanc wrote:I know this is a cliché but all Armenian letters look alike to me. I can't tell them apart and it makes the language unreadable to me.
Those consonant clusters end up getting broken up in real speech by schwas (which I suspect might be the case in Georgian and other languages with seemingly-impossible consonant clusters as well). And you are totally right about the script. It's one of the most difficult aspects of an already difficult language. All the letters look alike, and there are too many variations (capital vs. lowercase and print vs. cursive means sometimes learning up to four different forms for each letter). Even when I developed a passable level of speaking in the language, I gave up on reading and relied on signs written in Cyrillic to get around Yerevan.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-08-13, 15:38

eskandar wrote:
mōdgethanc wrote:I like the sound of Armenian. I mean, how many other languages allow consonant clusters like khndrem? (Answer: Georgian.) The problem is that I find the script incredibly ugly and have no use for it, so I don't have any motivation to learn it.
mōdgethanc wrote:I know this is a cliché but all Armenian letters look alike to me. I can't tell them apart and it makes the language unreadable to me.
Those consonant clusters end up getting broken up in real speech by schwas (which I suspect might be the case in Georgian and other languages with seemingly-impossible consonant clusters as well). And you are totally right about the script. It's one of the most difficult aspects of an already difficult language. All the letters look alike, and there are too many variations (capital vs. lowercase and print vs. cursive means sometimes learning up to four different forms for each letter). Even when I developed a passable level of speaking in the language, I gave up on reading and relied on signs written in Cyrillic to get around Yerevan.

This might sound like a silly question but how much English is used in Yerevan? I read in the other thread most Armenians know Russian, but I was just wondering if English was also widely used or not.
अहिंसा/เจ

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2013-08-13, 15:48

This is funny to me, because the script is the one thing I remember well from my bouts of trying to learn the language. I used to drive my partner crazy by using it to fill out crosswords (so he couldn't find them and complete them himself).

I had to come up with some odd mnemonics, however. Like the way I keep from confusing ո and ս is that the one that looks like a consonant is the vowel (/o/) and the one that looks like a vowel is the consonants (/s/).
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2013-08-13, 17:30

Meera wrote:This might sound like a silly question but how much English is used in Yerevan? I read in the other thread most Armenians know Russian, but I was just wondering if English was also widely used or not.
Extraordinarily little. Less than any other country I've been to in the world. I learned Armenian there not because I was interested in the language per se, but because I didn't know Russian and hardly anyone seemed to understand a word of English.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-08-13, 18:24

eskandar wrote:
Meera wrote:This might sound like a silly question but how much English is used in Yerevan? I read in the other thread most Armenians know Russian, but I was just wondering if English was also widely used or not.
Extraordinarily little. Less than any other country I've been to in the world. I learned Armenian there not because I was interested in the language per se, but because I didn't know Russian and hardly anyone seemed to understand a word of English.

Oh Wow that's kidn of cool though if someone wanted to learn Armenian and went to Armenia to practice, they couldn't fall back on English. (That of course if they didn't know Russian :P)
अहिंसा/เจ

Return to “Other Languages”