Warlpiri

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

Yeshua.C
Re: Warlpiri

Postby Yeshua.C » 2011-01-02, 23:37

It's a similar problem all around, not only with the indigenous languages out in the forest or desert. Think about things like Low German or Chinese languages which are disappearing. The loss of language diversity is being felt everywhere. Some, however, are disappearing more quickly.

This is why we need some more serious action on these languages.

Don't worry about Skype, I've been pretty busy too. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-01-03, 0:11

Yeshua.C wrote:It's a similar problem all around, not only with the indigenous languages out in the forest or desert. Think about things like Low German or Chinese languages which are disappearing. The loss of language diversity is being felt everywhere. Some, however, are disappearing more quickly.

Quite right.

This is why we need some more serious action on these languages.

An uphill battle indeed. But a battle worth fighting in my opinion.

Don't worry about Skype, I've been pretty busy too. :)

No worries on my end. We'll skype soon! :)

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-03-16, 14:12

księżycowy wrote:Not sure if anyone knew, but there's a Warlpiri dictionary here:
http://www.sil.org.au/Resources/Digital ... fault.aspx
(Direct link: http://www.sil.org.au/portals/42/Lexico ... n/main.htm)
Figured I'd share seeing as there is a lack of Warlpiri dictionaries out there.

Ugh, I'm so annoyed this isn't available anymore. :?
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

Yeshua.C

Postby Yeshua.C » 2011-03-16, 14:20

I think I've got it.

When is the Australian language learning club going to start on Skype?

Nooj

Postby Nooj » 2011-03-21, 13:14

księżycowy wrote:Yeah, I'm quite hopeful about the future of all indigenous languages myself. The only thing I worry the most about are the Native American languages. Specifically the fact that the younger generations aren't learning the language. (Not that I'm saying that it's only a problem here.)

And sorry 'bout not skyping you yet Yeshua. Been a little busy.

Hm...I'm the opposite, I look at our Australian languages and I think :shock: :( :cry: :x .

Yeshua.C

Postby Yeshua.C » 2011-03-21, 23:47

You think what, exactly?

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-03-22, 1:52

Did you guys know about this?

http://avidpdf.com/ebook/warlpiri-pdf.html

OMG! :shock:
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

Yeshua.C

Postby Yeshua.C » 2011-03-22, 9:28

Didn't know of that site, it's useful thanks.

Most of the Warlpiri stuff I've got but there mgiht be a couple new papers with a sentence or two I don't have. :) Cheers

Nooj

Postby Nooj » 2011-03-23, 12:56

I think we're losing them and very few people seem to care. In fact, state authorities seem to work against language retainment, they've discouraged bilingual education in schools. The future seems grim to me.

Yeshua.C

Postby Yeshua.C » 2011-03-23, 14:36

Yes. I agree.

One sad thing is that even the few people here interested seem to basically not work together at it at all. Such a poor world we live in.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-04-05, 12:50

It's the same with N.A. languages. The Native people themselves are the main ones trying to preserve the language(s) [with differing levels of interest], with very little help from others.

Wish there where more people interested in these languages, but what can we do . . . ?

(Sorry for the late response! :oops:)

And I haven't been on Skype in forever . . .

Yeshua.C

Postby Yeshua.C » 2011-04-07, 6:38

I'm still interested in creating a site for minority languages. Texts, lessons, word-lists, links, etc.

To begin with, Australian and North American languages.

Perhaps it would be good to start something on my own and then show it to the forum, to see if any others would be keen on hosting it and contributing.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-04-07, 10:47

Interesting. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Yeshua.C

Postby Yeshua.C » 2011-04-07, 13:32

Though, I'd rather start doing it for Warlpiri and then copy the template for other languages. I wonder if there is a single person still out there who is actually studying this language. I've quit it for now because of a lack of any interaction with people. I work best on a language when I have other enthusiastic people to talk about it with.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-04-07, 13:35

Unfortunately I think Struth was the only person working on it around the forum here, and I'm not so sure he's doing much with it anymore.

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-05-23, 1:28

Video in Warlpiri with English subtitles about the five pillars of Warlpiri culture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFZq7AduGrc

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-08-01, 18:56

Oh, Warlpiri, I miss you ! :hugg: :silly:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-08-03, 22:39

I'm getting the indigenous bug again too. :wink:

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2011-08-04, 19:52

Well, for me it's not just a "bug." I really like Warlpiri, and I only stopped/put it on pause because I felt I had gotten as far as I was going to get with the materials I had, and short of moving to the Northern Territory, it didn't seem like I could progress more. And so I got frustrated :?

But lately I've been going through the Warumungu book, so maybe I'll convert this into Warlpiri/Warumungu thread. Or maybe I'll put up a lesson on the different uses of the dative in Warlpiri (which I think is one of its coolest features). But I have to get more organized first. :o

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2011-08-04, 20:20

Well I don't mean "just" a bug myself, but, well, you should know what I mean. :P

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”