Warlpiri

Moderators:aaakknu, atalarikt

Struthiomimus
Re: Warlpiri

Postby Struthiomimus » 2012-09-19, 3:29

Not Warlpiri, but a group from ANU is working on a smartphone app for Iwaidja.
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2012-09-20, 2:19

[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

sasquatch

Postby sasquatch » 2012-09-20, 8:49

On the subject...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-19/k ... ge/4267938

with some disgusting comments, I must say.

I also found some stuff here, http://blogs.crikey.com.au/fullysic/ which has run a lot of features about bilingual education and stuff about indigenous languages especially in the wake of a new Parliamentary report on the subject of bilingual education (which, thank god, was quite positive).

I also liked a page on Facebook supporting bilingual education! Probably one of the biggest issues in indigenous affairs at the moment ;D

Saim

Postby Saim » 2012-09-20, 11:57

sasquatch wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-19/k ... ge/4267938

with some disgusting comments, I must say.

I want to tear my eyes out after reading that.

If they are living languages why divert resources to teach them? I remember a comment on a similar topic where, from memory, someone's husband was approached by self styled elders who wanted money to teach their traditional languages, he refused told them to teach it at home like everyone else/

Why are we talking about languages as having life?

Surely our capacity to speak serves to share ideas, and nothing more!

The mere suggestion that the teaching of indigenous languages in schools is another attempt to distract from the real issues!

Yep, being multi-lingual in obscure Aboriginal languages is sure gunna help you in the world. Not.

How does that fit in with how migrant groups have integrated with majority English speakers in the past?

How did the Italians, Greeks, Chinese, Vietnamese, Lebanese, Germans, et cetera integrate so well considering the complete lack of native speakers already present in Australia?

It's a nice though "Done Now", but it isn't supported by any evidence, not even anecdotal.

If someone wants to learn an obscure dialect of their bloodline then by all means go for it. But do it on your own time. If a people cared enough about their culture there would be places to learn about it outside of the education system.

Because aboriginal people had no written language. No grammar, no spelling, no punctuation, no alphabet. Aboriginal languages use the english alphabet, spelling and grammar. If they already speak fluent language at home, why do they need extra lessons in school.

Apparently aboriginal languages have the same grammar as English. :rotfl:

That's great in theory but how does it work with a language that had no written form, thus there are no resourses, no text books, no poetry, no literture, and in the case of maths, not even any concepts. You cannot compare a highly evolved language like Welsh, or French or Italian with one that belonged to a culture that didn't even have any written language or alphabet.

I say we round the fuckers up and send them back to England.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-09-20, 12:59

I say we round the fuckers up and send them back to England.

Hear, hear!
And I'm not even Australian!

sasquatch

Postby sasquatch » 2012-09-21, 0:18

What's most disturbing about that point of view is that you don't just hear it from ignorant douches, but also from people who are actually intelligent and more generally progressive who just don't get the need to preserve indigenous languages.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2012-09-21, 8:02

I know what you mean. I feel like a sort of linguistic consciousness hasn't really gotten into many progressives. Unfortunately in every country the minority languages have to go through this, even major ones with millions of speakers like Catalan and Punjabi. Linguistic ignorance is pretty widespread.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-09-21, 23:19

I suppose I can just as easily ask this here, doesn’t really matter which thread I ask it in.

Anyone want a AAL multilingual thread? I'd love to have one, but I'd hate to make the thread and not have any posts in it.

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2012-10-08, 17:46

sasquatch wrote:On the subject...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-19/k ... ge/4267938

“At the time of white settlement there were 250 Indigenous languages spoken across Australia. Now only 18 are widely spoken.”

Widely spoken?

I’m not sure what the main message of the article was and at times, it seemed like she was just thinking out loud, but I appreciate the sentiment anyway.

Saim wrote:I want to tear my eyes out after reading that.

Saim, Y U R MAKE THE THREAD SO SAD? :doggy:

Anyway, back on topic, I came across this, directly related to Warlpiri:

Warlpiri Mums Making Books

And then going slightly off-topic again:

Slip of the tongues

...which says, "There were, however, also a number of specific languages that increased substantially over the period. This includes Nunggubuyu (114% increase), Manyjilyjarra (107%), Kunwinjku (80%) and Ngarrindjeri (71%). Some of these languages have been a focus of considerable government investment and, although it is difficult to establish causality with data in the census, it would appear that this investment may be paying dividends."

:o

And lastly, A shift in the monolingual mood

księżycowy wrote:Anyone want a AAL multilingual thread? I'd love to have one, but I'd hate to make the thread and not have any posts in it.

Maybe one of the games would be better for now to allow for greater participation. :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-10-08, 22:43

You mean like a word association game or something? Sure, sounds good! :D

We can make the AAL thread if/when there's more activity (or if we feel like it ourselves! :twisted: )

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2014-03-16, 17:35

Struthiomimus wrote:Thanks for clearing this up...can the pronominal enclitics also be used to say "X is Y"? I haven't seen it explicitly stated in my book, but there have been examples like "Ngurrju mayinpa?" and "Napaljarrirna" or "Ngajurna Napaljarri," so can I say "wirirna," "watinpa," or "matarli-karra/matarnalu/matarlipa"? Also there's an example, "Nyiya-jangka mayirna" and I don't understand the use of "-rna" here. Could you explain this?

Heh. So I was onto something. I recently happened across this (Syntax: ein internationales Handbuch zeitgenössischer Forschung, Volume 2), which shows it's possible to say "Ngaju(-rna) mata" or "Mata-rna."

Man, it's been a while.

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2014-04-30, 20:40

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-05-02, 11:05

Sweet! It has some stuff for Arrernte too! Nice find Struth! :D

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2014-05-14, 0:09

księżycowy wrote:Sweet! It has some stuff for Arrernte too! Nice find Struth! :D

Hey, Księżycowy! Yeah, it's a pretty great collection. I'm quite chuffed. 8-) But I need to get back into Warlpiri; I've forgotten a lot. :o

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-05-14, 0:22

Yeah, I feel ya. I lost a lot of my Lakhota. :(

I'd love to get back into an indigenous language again (be it Australian or American). Can't quite yet though.

Return to “Australian, Austronesian and Papuan Languages”